Author Topic: The 'View' from above  (Read 2638 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The 'View' from above
« on: April 10, 2007, 02:21:39 AM »

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The 'View' from above
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Pretty good.  The first is your standard Nazi anti-Semitic crap (TV, controlled by you-know-who, will gleefully promulgate all kinds of insane, treasonous garbage and poison the soul of the nation, but Christianity is anathema to them) and the second one is based on a different but equally reprehensible principle - - if you don't like what a woman has to say, ridicule her appearance, dehumanize her.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:38:04 PM »
if you don't like what a woman has to say, ridicule her appearance, dehumanize her.

Glad to hear that you're against the various cartoonists impression of Condi.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:02:22 PM »
<<Glad to hear that you're against the various cartoonists impression of Condi.>>

Haven't seen any that ridiculed her appearance or dehumanized her, so I really can't say.  But it's an apples-and-oranges comparison anyway - - Condi is a vulturous accomplice to mass murder and torture, Rosie is on the side of humanity.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:07:11 PM »
Haven't seen any that ridiculed her appearance or dehumanized her, so I really can't say.

There have been a large number posted here. Here's one.

But it's an apples-and-oranges comparison anyway - - Condi is a vulturous accomplice to mass murder and torture, Rosie is on the side of humanity.

I see. It's ok to ridicule conservatives, but ridiculing liberals is beyond the pale.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:31:55 PM »
But it's an apples-and-oranges comparison anyway - - Condi is a vulturous accomplice to mass murder and torture, Rosie is on the side of humanity.

I see. It's ok to ridicule conservatives, but ridiculing liberals is beyond the pale.

You didn't get the memo?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 12:01:24 AM »
<<I see. It's ok to ridicule conservatives, but ridiculing liberals is beyond the pale.>>

Ridiculous and totally unsubstantiated.  As usual.

The Condi cartoon put her in parrot form to make a political point, agree with it or not:  that Rice is a shameless sycophant to her powerful boss, who has no real respect for her as a human being.  That she is a weak and powerless Secretary of State.

The Rosie cartoon made no political point.  Its sole object was to ridicule her size and portray her in the simple non-political act of eating.  Eating with a gargantuan appetite.  Eating buildings like a monster, not eating human food.  Dehumanizing, ridiculing, without even addressing ANY political or other issue other than her fatness and her allegedly non-human characteristics.  Which is why I'm sure that you, like sirs, LOVED the Rosie cartoon.  It was witless, gross and demeaning, a perfect Trifecta of fascist "values."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 12:45:01 AM »
<<I see. It's ok to ridicule conservatives, but ridiculing liberals is beyond the pale.>>

Ridiculous and totally unsubstantiated.  As usual.

The Condi cartoon put her in parrot form to make a political point, agree with it or not:  that Rice is a shameless sycophant to her powerful boss, who has no real respect for her as a human being.  That she is a weak and powerless Secretary of State.

The Rosie cartoon made no political point.  Its sole object was to ridicule her size and portray her in the simple non-political act of eating.  Eating with a gargantuan appetite.  Eating buildings like a monster, not eating human food.  Dehumanizing, ridiculing, without even addressing ANY political or other issue other than her fatness and her allegedly non-human characteristics.  Which is why I'm sure that you, like sirs, LOVED the Rosie cartoon.  It was witless, gross and demeaning, a perfect Trifecta of fascist "values."

Rosie O'Donnel truely is ignorant .
So can't insults run witout limit?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:06:22 AM »
<<Rosie O'Donnel truely is ignorant .
<<So can't insults run witout limit?>>

She doen't sound so ignorant to me, but sure, a cartoon can attempt to show her ignorance.  A cartoon that showed her  in  a dunce cap saying something stupid while the exact opposite to what she was saying was going on all around her would be a fair shot at the "Rosie is Ignorant" school of political persuasion.

This cartoon didn't show an ignorant Rosie.  It showed a big fat Rosie, a BLOB rather than a human being, with an inhumanly gluttonous appetite that no human food could satisfy, eating buildings.  A big fat bitch stuffing her face with a humourously (in the eyes of sirs and like-minded fascist misogynists) exaggerated appetite.  The only point made related to Rosie's appearance:  she is FAT.  And also dehumanizing her by her appetite for buildings, and the amoeba-like blob form that she was given.  Pure fascist aesthetics.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 02:17:46 AM »
<<Rosie O'Donnel truely is ignorant .
<<So can't insults run witout limit?>>

She doen't sound so ignorant to me...

And there in lies your fatal flaw to this thread

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 07:54:28 AM »
The Condi cartoon put her in parrot form to make a political point, agree with it or not:

I was talking about the satire of her physical features - her lips and teeth. Making fun of her appearance.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 08:33:27 AM »
<<I was talking about the satire of her physical features - her lips and teeth. Making fun of her appearance.>>

It's called caricature, Ami.  Most cartoonists have to use to it, since they're not portrait artists and they have to make their subjects recognizable to their audience, preferably without having to resort to text-labelling, which would reflect negatively on their cartooning skills. 

It's presumed the cartoon has some message other than the caricature of the subject's appearance, and in a political cartoon, the message is often political.  For example, the message of the Condi cartoon was that Condi was insanely sycophantic and her boss treated her with the utter infantilization that one usually reserves for, well, infants.  Not an ideal Secretary of State, not an ideal President, not an ideal relationship.  Nothing good for the country.  The message of the Rosie cartoon was that Rosie is fat, ugly, gluttonous and inhuman.  Nothing political.  Pure, vicious character assassination, based on nothing more than her supposed appearance.  Ugly, misogynous, vile fascist garbage, which probably explains the appeal it has for you and sirs.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 08:38:31 AM »
Ugly, misogynous, vile fascist garbage, which probably explains the appeal it has for you and sirs.

I guess you will never stop making incorrect assumptions.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 09:33:59 AM »
<<I guess you will never stop making incorrect assumptions.>>

Or taking gratuitous digs at my opponents.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 09:37:45 AM »
Or taking gratuitous digs at my opponents.

At least you are willing to admit that your digs are incorrect and unwarranted.