Author Topic: The Attack on Imus  (Read 15169 times)

domer

Re: The Attack on Imus
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 07:02:29 PM »
My personal opinion based on her content produced here is that Modesty is a race-baiter, if not a frank white supremacist dispatched hither to roil and confuse a triumphant moment for racial equality, for which, with perspective, even Imus should agree. (I never said he was a dick, but standards are standards, especially ones that matter, as does this one in all its postmodern glory.)

modestyblase

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »
It wasn't a triumphant moment. It may have injured Obama's chances, as well, even though he respectably maintained his distance.

I can appreciate that it opened discourse on common civility, but of course I've no hope that it will go anywhere.

It's cyclical. There will be another black uproar against the white man(racist and sexist by default, as past and present "scandals" can show) within a year or year and a half. It always happens. Like clockwork. Thankfully, it doesn't tear down a man who, though fond of inserting his foot into his mouth, is decent, every time it happens.

BTW, anyone else notice that he went on to say Tennessee players were "cute"? Scanning over pics of the two teams, Tenneessee's players are better looking(oh, and hey! some of them get waxings!) So why wasn't this mentioned? I suppose they could have nailed for objectification or something in that instance. Surely they could have found a way to make that work!

Imus should have claimed the Clean Hands Defense from the beginning. "The black community should not be entitled to equitable relief as they came into the proceeding with unclean hands"  :D I <3 affirmative defenses.

domer

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »
Pretty much got this character nailed.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 07:28:05 PM »
Pretty much got this character nailed.

Domer,

Modesty has been posting with us under one name or another since the Yahoo days.

This character is no more racist than you are, overused and decawed as the word has become.

domer

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2007, 07:31:29 PM »
I call them as I see them, BT, and I see this one as openly listing racist in content and almost assuredly intent.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 07:52:52 PM »
Your earlier posts labeled this one stupid.

Perhaps you call them prematurely.

Provocative perhaps, but hardly stupid.

To be blunt, the character of knute comes off as stupid and more accurately juvenile.

This one's postings are more on the level of Crane, always biting, opinionated  and sharply penned.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 08:10:17 PM »
For a person in a position of power to make fun of the powerless is NOT funny; it's antithetical to humor.

I'm not sure Imus is in a position of power. Please expand on that statement.

I'm not going to look up how much money he made, or who was on his show in the last year, but he made lots of money, had a radio show and a simulcast TV show that drew politicians and people who wield quite a bit of power. They needed him to promote their books, he got big advertisers, big bucks. That is power in my book.
These were college girls.  Playing a game. Not powerful.  Getting an education at a very good college, and having this kind of disruption isn't helpful at all. 
http://www.rutgersclubdc.org/facts.shtml
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 08:17:39 PM »
Money does not necessarily equate to power.

How much power does Warren Buffett have over your life?

Does he have influence? Perhaps.

Does influence equate to power? That is debateable.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 08:23:21 PM »
Well, I think he was influential, and his advertisers and guests certainly did.  Sen. Chris Dodd announced his run for the presidency on the Imus show, because he thought he'd reach more people that way than by announcing on Meet the Press.   

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2007, 09:14:02 PM »
Can you think of anything he said or did that influenced your thinking or actions other than the nappy ho comment.

Was his endorsement of Kerry what changed your mind?

Advertizing is all about numbers. That is what they are after. So using ratings as a barometer the "worlds wackiest car" chases is more influential  than Imus.

Dodd announced on that show because Imus throws softballs at certain folks and gives them more than a few minutes to talk.

And if he was so influential why isn't Dodd leading the pack?

Is he even above single digits in the polls?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »
And then there is this:

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »
I didn't listen to him, so he didn't influence me.   I wasn't aware until this controversy that he had endorsed Kerry.  I don't listen to any shock jocks or any talk radio, not Air America, nada.
I have heard on several news shows that yes, he did let people speak their piece for more than just a soundbite, 15 minutes as opposed to much less.  For that alone he was valuable to his guests.
He gave Dodd a platform to speak.  That doesn't ensure good results, but it is a start.
I also heard that Imus was one of the very few people with shows of his type who said what a shameful reaction this administration had to Katrina. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »
Isn't it ironic that his Katrina rants were basically about the poor response from to administration and how it adversely affected the mostly minority poor who were left on their own in the aftermath?

On second thought, i guess that kind of talk does make him a racist.

Nevermind.

Mucho

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2007, 01:32:04 AM »
Isn't it ironic that his Katrina rants were basically about the poor response from to administration and how it adversely affected the mostly minority poor who were left on their own in the aftermath?

On second thought, i guess that kind of talk does make him a racist.

Nevermind.

That kind of talk does not make him not a racist , but that thought is surely to complex for your shallow mind.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2007, 01:34:44 AM »
What would make him a racist?