Author Topic: What is this "web site" you speak of?  (Read 734 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is this "web site" you speak of?
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:37:22 PM »
"Web site" baffles Internet terrorism trial judge

By Mark Trevelyan Wed May 16, 1:22 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British judge admitted on Wednesday he was struggling to cope with basic terms like "Web site" in the trial of three men accused of inciting terrorism via the Internet.
ADVERTISEMENT

Judge Peter Openshaw broke into the questioning of a witness about a Web forum used by alleged Islamist radicals.

"The trouble is I don't understand the language. I don't really understand what a Web site is," he told a London court during the trial of three men charged under anti-terrorism laws.

Prosecutor Mark Ellison briefly set aside his questioning to explain the terms "Web site" and "forum." An exchange followed in which the 59-year-old judge acknowledged: "I haven't quite grasped the concepts."

Violent Islamist material posted on the Internet, including beheadings of Western hostages, is central to the case.

Concluding Wednesday's session and looking ahead to testimony on Thursday by a computer expert, the judge told Ellison: "Will you ask him to keep it simple, we've got to start from basics."

[................]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/security_britain_internet_dc;_ylt=AszIY5m_8gyrEPggaWSqKdgjtBAF
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: What is this "web site" you speak of?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:41:24 PM »
I'm surprised the prosecution and defense did not take this into consideration while preparing the case.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What is this "web site" you speak of?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 01:11:02 AM »
Wow, does a judge need to understand the means used in a crime?

Perhaps he judge should recuse himself from such cases untill he can catch up?

Or is his ignorance a good thing?

How much of his time on the clok will be devoted to a semanar on internet use?