Author Topic: Immunity for Goodling?  (Read 3675 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Immunity for Goodling?
« on: April 17, 2007, 03:41:38 PM »

House Panel to Vote on Immunity for Goodling
By Paul Kiel - April 17, 2007, 11:21 AM

[.............]

The House Judiciary Committee will meet tomorrow morning in order to vote on whether to offer former Justice Department official Monica Goodling immunity to prosecution. Goodling had indicated that she would plead the Fifth rather than testify.

Says Chairman John Conyers (D-MI):

"As the White House Liaison in the Department while the US Attorney firings were planned and carried out, Ms. Goodling clearly has much to contribute to the Committee's understanding of the surrounding circumstances... I am hopeful we can approve immunity so that we can schedule her to testify as soon as possible and begin to clear up the many inconsistencies and gaps surrounding this matter."
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/003031.php
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Immunity for Goodling?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »
Is such immunity carte blanche?

I don't know for sure buyt I thoughtthat such immunity needed to be connected to a certain crime or investigation.

For what crime is she to be potentially immune?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 04:01:31 PM »
I don't know for sure buyt I thoughtthat such immunity needed to be connected to a certain crime or investigation.

There is also "use immunity" in which she is promised that none of her testimony - or any evidence derived from her testimony - can be used against her, for any crime.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 02:47:42 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=apDjuW7Anx6o&refer=home

This says they are talking about offering her limited immunity.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 08:22:14 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=apDjuW7Anx6o&refer=home

This says they are talking about offering her limited immunity.

If Libbey had held out for this there would have been no crime at all for him.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 11:30:39 AM »

Probably the one she claims she might potentially incriminate herself in; immunity removes the need to plead the fifth, thus making it easier to force her to testify, or be held in contempt.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:48:59 PM »

Probably the one she claims she might potentially incriminate herself in; immunity removes the need to plead the fifth, thus making it easier to force her to testify, or be held in contempt.

Very likely she is in the same predicament Libbey was in a few months ago , haveing no idea what crime may be discovered in her testimony.

For Libbey the only crime there was, was the testimony itself.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »

Moral: Tell the truth. Especially under oath, 'cuz if you don't, then it's a crime.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 08:31:46 AM »

Moral: Tell the truth. Especially under oath, 'cuz if you don't, then it's a crime.

Tell me the truth , who were you talking to at this date last year , what did he tell you? What did you tell him? Was this occasion the first time or the second time that you had heard or spoken this information?

Don't worry if you get it wrong , I don't intend to jail you.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:35:27 AM »

Tell me the truth , who were you talking to at this date last year , what did he tell you? What did you tell him? Was this occasion the first time or the second time that you had heard or spoken this information?

Don't worry if you get it wrong , I don't intend to jail you.

touche', Plane        8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 02:18:47 PM »

I don't recall. So how the hell do you figure you could get me for perjury for honestly telling you that? You can't.

Honesty is still the best policy. It is not a crime to not remember or not know something. It can be construed as perjury if, for example, I said I was talking to you on such and such a date about this subject, then it was later shown I was wrong. It may be due to faulty memory, but if I swore it was the truth, then it could result in a perjury charge. If I qualified it by saying something to the effect of 'to the best of my knowledge and/or recollection', then I'd say you might not have a case; I'm not a lawyer, though, so you might want to ask Domer.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »

I don't recall. So how the hell do you figure you could get me for perjury for honestly telling you that? You can't.

Honesty is still the best policy. It is not a crime to not remember or not know something. It can be construed as perjury if, for example, I said I was talking to you on such and such a date about this subject, then it was later shown I was wrong. It may be due to faulty memory, but if I swore it was the truth, then it could result in a perjury charge. If I qualified it by saying something to the effect of 'to the best of my knowledge and/or recollection', then I'd say you might not have a case; I'm not a lawyer, though, so you might want to ask Domer.

I think you are right here.

So what is Libbey s offense ?

And what has Goodling so frightened?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 05:32:33 PM »
So what is Libbey s offense ?

What did he lie about under oath?

And what has Goodling so frightened?

You'll have to ask her. Seems kind of stupid to try to take the fifth on the grounds that you're going to lie under oath, though. But this administration likes to do things pre-emptively...

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 11:46:36 PM »
I don't recall. So how the hell do you figure you could get me for perjury for honestly telling you that?

Wasn't that what Gonsalez did? and how did that work out for him.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 03:33:18 AM »
I don't recall. So how the hell do you figure you could get me for perjury for honestly telling you that?

Wasn't that what Gonsalez did? and how did that work out for him.

He too has an "R" after his name.   :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle