Author Topic: I was affraid to mention bullies here  (Read 4196 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I was affraid to mention bullies here
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »
But a source close to the gun lobby (who asked not to be identified because of the organization’s sensitivities about making any political points related to the tragedy), pointed out that pro-gun lobbyists and groups like the NRA have long supported adding all relevant mental-health records to background check databases. "We have no problem as long as one is adjudicated mentally incompetent [in denying gun purchases] and we have no problem with mental health records being part of the NICS," the source said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18217741/site/newsweek/

Who is required to give information to the national background check database?

Did Cho feel that being very nearly comitted to an institution was more of the bullying that he was getting?

Are there people who are delusional enough to think that everything that happens to them is constant bullying?

Can such a person seem safe to an examineing doctor?

When presented with a canadate for involentary treatment should a Doctor err on the side of public safety or personal rights?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 05:19:26 PM »
oops
forgot another aspect about mental health field
the fact he actually got treatment is a indicator he really was near the edge
there is a very common fear of being taken away if one see`s a therapist.
but after a certain piont it get soo bad you`ll just not care about being taken away and that`s when people go see one.
strangely I`m not sure therapist acknowledge this bit of information.
but one cool thing is they usually don`t bill patients who miss appointments,unlike medical doctors.
you can understand why though

modestyblase

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 09:38:15 PM »
Ami: You should talk to Modesty; she seems to think therapy is oppressive.  :D

One on One psychotherapy is not for me. It works for some. I'm too stoic, it wouldn't work for me. I wouldn't mind going to one of those zen-oriented retreats that require you to take vows of silence. And maybe if they advocated LSD use again-Cary Grant was onto something!

It's like those Geico commercials. I particularly love the one with the doll!  ;D

Tee: How is sitting or lying on a couch, relaxing and talking to somebody else for 50 minutes oppressive?  Think Tony Soprano and Jennifer Malfi.  I wish I could find the time for it.  And the money.  I just don't believe that I'd come out any different than how I came in.  OTOH I have no doubt at all that there are some majorly fucked-up people out there, particularly young men and women, who could obtain life-changing insights from a good shrink.  I'm kind of convinced that the people who don't really need it get more than their fair share of it and the ones most at risk without it get the least amount of it.

Everyone has to find their own way to deal. Some use yoga, some find relief in therapy, some just accept that life happens and they deal.

>:(
To be honest: I think the biggest tragedy of all of this is this erring notion that somehow, enough talk will prevent senseless tragedies. Instead of focusing on the outrageous amounts of deaths we *could* be preventing, the senseless tragedies within our power to correct and right, we focus on that which cannot be controlled. You can never banish the mad, the crazy, the broken or twisted; not by law, not by reason, not by nature. They will always exist.
And I mourn less, these students, as I do all the senseless killings we can control-like the senseless killings in Iraq-which could have been prevented. The senseless slaughtered in car wrecks-public transportation could alleviate many of those issues. Those who die of cancer-more funding could assist, as could better and more efficient use of charitable donations. I mourn the poor policies, the collective apathy that renders most Americans ignorant to these subjects, and worse, ignorant to our power individually and collectively to effectuate change.
THAT is what should be mourned.
 :'(