Author Topic: Your Freedom Up For Sale  (Read 6470 times)

larry

Re: Your Freedom Up For Sale
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »
Selling the nations highway systems to private interest will create another storefront for racketeering and money laundering. All roads should remain the property of the people and all tolls should be general revenue. The idea of privatizing roads is another land grab scheme using eminent domain to steal land that the roads run through and across. Toll roads are better than the lottery, people will not have the choice in years to come, they will have to by the ticket. A monopoly in the making.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »
All roads should remain the property of the people and all tolls should be general revenue.

Even those roads built with private funds?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 11:46:14 PM »
Now, let's say that Faceless Corporation owned most of the interstate roads leaving New Orleans.  Are they going to just not accept tolls when people are fleeing?  Maybe. 

Maybe?
Definately!

Why do you call corporations faceless?
Corporations are groups of human beings not more prone to coruption (nor less) than other human orgaisations.
Governments are more stodgy and stupid and cruel than Corporatios .

While New Oreins was in distress during the days after Hurricane Katrina there was a bridge blocked to refugee evacuation   , too bad it was not a turnpike .

There were examples of corporations doing philanrophic works and makeing materiael availible at reduced profit or free on that occasion.

Who exactly was giveing out free gas in New Orliens ?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Wiki/stewardship:navigability

On this related issue I am on both sides.

I love canoeing and I am dismayed that some landowners of the Chatahooche are blocking access.

On the other hand I like the idea of buying some land with a creek that could be dammed for my personal power production.

If I ever do buy a creek I think I would like to have canoeists pass thru , but I might loose this attitude if they made me clean up after them.