Author Topic: Hillary Clinton Drops Her 'Rodham'  (Read 1664 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hillary Clinton Drops Her 'Rodham'
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:37:07 PM »
Monday, April 30, 2007 11:42 a.m. EDT

Hillary Clinton Drops Her 'Rodham'

While she is known to millions simply as "Hillary," New York's junior senator is having something of an identity crisis in her official life.

When it comes to running for president, she is "Hillary Clinton," according to her campaign Web site. But when it comes to her official Senate releases, she is still "Hillary Rodham Clinton."

The Clinton camp appeared to be at a loss to come up with an explanation when the Albany Times Union newspaper asked about it.

"I haven't, I haven't," Clinton said with laugh when asked about her apparent name change.

A strategic decision? Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson told the newspaper: "That's a fair question, but there's no plan behind it."

The name game has been going on for some time in Clinton's world.

When Hillary Rodham married Bill Clinton in 1975, she kept using her maiden name as he pursued his political career in Arkansas and she built her reputation as a lawyer in Little Rock. But, in the wake of his loss in a re-election race for governor, she began using "Hillary Clinton." He won back the governorship.

"Hillary Rodham Clinton" became the standard in 1993 as the Clintons moved into the White House. She continued to use that when she ran for Senate from New York in 2000.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Hillary Clinton Drops Her 'Rodham'
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:12:07 AM »
"Hillary Rodham Clinton" became the standard in 1993 as the Clintons moved into the White House. She continued to use that when she ran for Senate from New York in 2000."

Why? Why use this name? I guess it is because I am a guy over ffity but I have never understood this fascination for keeping an old name unless it is for, well, I really can't think of any reasons over the long haul. Will someone please enlighten this poor soul?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »
Will someone please enlighten this poor soul?

I believe it has to do with maintaining an individuals identity.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »
Female Lawyers and doctors and authors who have had some careerer success like to keep their name recognizable to their clientele .

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 01:54:42 PM »
What, you don't have an identity when you are married? Yes, I know it has to do wit htheir "old" name as far as clientele. So, you keep doing it FORVER? Nope, only for a transitional time.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »
It is irrelevant what she calls herself. She was born a Rodham, and she is free to use it or not as she chooses.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »
What, you don't have an identity when you are married? Yes, I know it has to do wit htheir "old" name as far as clientele. So, you keep doing it FORVER? Nope, only for a transitional time.

Don't see what the problem is. And this isn't anything new. My mother, rest her soul, referred to herself with the given, maiden and married last name from the time she was married until the time she died. She signed checks that way. her drivers license was listed that way, it was her legal name, and she was born in 1924.