Author Topic: Paris Hilton sentenced to 45 days in jail  (Read 2392 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Paris Hilton sentenced to 45 days in jail
« on: May 05, 2007, 02:01:16 PM »
'Bout time! These celebrities many times forget that they are role models.

Paris Hilton sentenced to 45 days in jail

Story Highlights• She wanted to continue to drive regardless, judge says
• Publicist testifies he told heiress it was OK to drive
• Mother calls sentence "a joke"; lawyer calls it "ludicrous"
• Probation stemmed from alcohol-related traffic violation

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A judge sentenced Paris Hilton to 45 days in county jail Friday for violating her probation, putting the brakes on the hotel heiress's famous high life.

Hilton, who parlayed her name and relentless partying into worldwide notoriety, must go to jail by June 5.

She will not be allowed any work release, furloughs, use of an alternative jail or electronic monitoring in lieu of jail, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer ruled after a hearing.

The judge, saying "there's no doubt she knew her license had been suspended," ruled that she was in violation of the terms of her probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case.

"I'm very sorry, and from now on I'm going to pay complete attention to everything. I'm sorry, and I did not do it on purpose at all," she told the judge before he announced the sentence.

She was then ordered to report to a women's jail in suburban Lynwood by the set date or face 90 days behind bars. The judge's ruling excluded her from paying to serve time in a jail of her choice, as some violators are allowed to do.

As a city prosecutor said during closing arguments that Hilton deserved jail time, Hilton's mother, Kathy, laughed. When the judge ruled, Kathy Hilton then blurted out: "May I have your autograph?"

Paris Hilton was among a series of witnesses who took the stand during the hearing. She testified she believed her license was initially suspended for 30 days and that she was allowed to drive for work purposes during the next 90 days. (Watch why Hilton thought it was OK to be driving)

She said that when an officer who stopped her in January made her sign a document stating her license was suspended, she thought he was mistaken and did not actually look at the document.

Also called to the stand was Hilton's spokesman, Elliot Mintz. Hilton and her attorneys characterized Mintz as a liaison between Hilton and her lawyers.

Mintz testified that to his knowledge Hilton did not drive during the 30-day period. He said he then advised her that he believed her license was no longer suspended.

The judge called Mintz's testimony worthless and expressed disbelief at Hilton's excuse.

"I can't believe that either attorney did not tell her that the suspension had been upheld," the judge said. "She wanted to disregard everything that was said and continue to drive no matter what."

Hilton looked forward and didn't speak to news media as she left court with her mother.

When a reporter asked what she thought of the judge's decision, a visibly angry Kathy Hilton responded: "What do you think? This is pathetic and disgusting, a waste of taxpayer money with all this nonsense. This is a joke."

Defense attorney Howard Weitzman said he would appeal.

"I'm shocked, I'm surprised and really disheartened in the system that I've worked in for close to 40 years," Weitzman said.

He said the sentence was "uncalled for, inappropriate and bordered on the ludicrous."

"I think she's singled out because of who she is," Weitzman said.

Hilton had arrived at the Metropolitan Courthouse 10 minutes late and ignored screams of photographers as she swept in with her attorneys, mother and father, Rick Hilton.

The celebrity case brought an unusual scene to the austere courthouse south of downtown in a commercial area. As if at a red carpet event, dozens of photographers and reporters lined up at the rear entrance. Yellow police tape substituted for velvet ropes.

String of traffic violations
Hilton, 26, pleaded no contest in January to reckless driving stemming from a Sept. 7 arrest in Hollywood. Police said she appeared intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test. She had a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 percent, the level at which an adult driver is in violation of the law.

She was sentenced to 36 months' probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

Two other traffic stops and failure to enroll in a mandated alcohol education program are what landed the socialite back in court.

On January 15, Hilton was pulled over by the California Highway Patrol. Officers informed her that she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging that she was not to drive, according to papers filed in Superior Court.

Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies stopped Hilton on February 27 and charged her with violating her probation. Police said she was pulled over about 11 p.m. after authorities saw the car speeding with its headlights off.

Mintz said at the time Hilton wasn't aware her license was suspended. A copy of the document Hilton signed on January 15 was found in the car's glove compartment, court papers say.

Hilton was also required to enroll in an alcohol education program by February 12. As of April 17, she had not enrolled, prosecutors said.

Hilton, heiress to the Hilton Hotel fortune, first gained notoriety for her hard partying as a teen. She attracted worldwide attention when a sex tape she made with a boyfriend was released on the Internet.

She stars in the reality-TV series "The Simple Life," now in its fifth season, with Nicole Richie. She appeared in the 2005 film "House of Wax" and recently finished filming "The Hottie and the Nottie." She also is a handbag designer and has a namesake perfume.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/04/paris.hilton.ap/index.html 
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Paris Hilton sentenced to 45 days in jail
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 08:33:29 PM »
If Paris Hilton is a role model, all is lost.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:36:52 PM »
actually she is
she displays all the qualities that is very admired by teenaged girls through history.
a spoiled rich girl whose so disconnected with real life she had no concept what a paycheck is and never needed to.
she has pretty much done anything she wants and get away with it
she is living a teen girls fantasy

but about the appeal
the problem is not just that she drove without the licence,she ignore all the requirements of probations.
the only thing that may help her case is the deniel of paying to choose her jail.
which may prove she was singled out.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:51:35 PM »
actually she is

She is a role model to you?

Last i heard we get to pick our role models. Sure the pop culture media puffs up the "celebrities" but we still have the right,  nay the obligation,  to filter these folks and choose who we want to emulate, if emulation is an important factor in our own personalitty make up.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 03:35:41 PM »
A great song....Thirty Days in the Hole, by Humble Pie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W7g_C5zB0w
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:13:20 AM »
I`m not a teenage girl!!

paris was picked, nobody is making these girls from copying paris.
remember girls grow up wanting to be princesses
yes lady di would be a great example
but paris is another example of what a princess is.
a child of privledge with no obligations in her life ever
this is a person who never had to worry about bills and only work for the really had to get stuff.
she did the tv show as a lark ,but she couldn`t let go of being celebrity so she`s still doing it.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 01:20:48 AM »
She certainly has a right to seek fulfillment regrdless of the burdens of being born the rich kid.

Still don't see why she should be considered a role model.

No more than a Barbie Doll should be considered a role model.

Maybe it's the fantasy of the life that people think Paris leads is what attacts teenagers. 

Much like the movie Heather's was dead on.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 01:33:59 AM »
that`s exactly why
the idle rich is the life that is desired
not true reality
ex. most wealthy people are working or doing everything to maintain their wealth.
even paris`s sister nicky hilton is working on running a hotel.
note the only rich person in the news is her
very little airtime on any others
because their boring.
bill gates is the riches person on the planet ,but he doesn`t qualify the show who want to marry a multi-millionaire
because computer nerds are desireable

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 08:37:42 PM »
My 17- year old daughter and her friends all think Paris Hilton is a joke, and is getting what she deserves - as do I.  Hopefully she'll learn something from this experience, although it's more likely to become fodder for a reality show.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 10:18:18 PM »
It`s good your daughter thinks she`s a joke
this will sound cruel for me to say
but I would be scared out of my mind if any of my kids thinks of her as a role model.
I understand why she would be admired,but I don`t have to like it.