Author Topic: Proof positive that the USMC wreaks with criminals  (Read 15643 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Proof positive that the USMC wreaks with criminals
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 03:08:07 AM »
<<So, what was the definition of "mistreating" in this study? Your sarcasm seems to indicate that you know.>>

Why would I know?  I don't know EVERYTHING.

I assume, as any intelligent and informed reader of the news would,  that in a poll published in a mainstream venue, there'd be at least a veneer of academic propriety and responsibility and the methodology page in a survey aimed at troop abuse of prisoners against a backdrop of the current war in Iraq would be serious enough to exclude trivial instances of abuse (such as your ridiculous example) and concentrate on definitions of abuse that coincide with what the average consumer of that news would himself or herself consider abuse.  That's how the world works (not that YOU would be expected to know that.)

Doesn't that make infinitely more sense than assuming, as you seem to have, that a survey on abuse run by TODAY would be based on a definition of abuse that includes cutting in queues?  Why would ANY MSM venue expose itself to public ridicule and reputation loss by running such a transparently flawed survey?  And if it did, would not the right-wing blogosphere by now be inflamed with outrage and ridicule over a gaffe like that?

This article claims to have taken a survey, done by the defense department internally ,from an unnamed sorce.

Why is the defense departmnt trying to learn these things ?

Why would it be good for anyone to leak this thing?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 08:09:20 AM »
OUCH, Ami with another massive body blow      ;)

I'm waiting for him to tell me why that one doesn't apply.

I've got another 50 or 60 ready to go.

;D
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 08:10:40 AM »
Maybe you two ( or one) should take this self-love to a motel room & spare the rest of US all this sloppy shit.

Only one into self-love around here seems to be you.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Mucho

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 10:53:51 AM »
<<This article claims to have taken a survey, done by the defense department internally ,from an unnamed sorce.

Why would it be good for anyone to leak this thing?<

I know that finding the truth is always painful for those who love to be duped like the RWers in here but some like to know and tell it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 12:32:32 PM »
<<This article claims to have taken a survey, done by the defense department internally ,from an unnamed sorce.

I know that finding the truth is always painful for those who love to be duped like the RWers in here but some like to know and tell it.

I would like to know why you think it is genuine?

And if it is genuine why you think it is bad , having one snitch in a thousand is too many for the mob , but the Marines seem to have one in three.

Mucho

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »

I would like to know why you think it is genuine?

And if it is genuine why you think it is bad , having one snitch in a thousand is too many for the mob , but the Marines seem to have one in three.

One main reason is that in ran in the San Diego Union Tribune which is one of the most Repub leaning rags in the country and it is in a military town. It was on the front page and they would have vetted it every which way before printing it anywhere.
But you are right about one thing . The Corps & the mob ARE very similar.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »
<<I don't remember the "shitstorm" from the "right-wing blogosphere" about this one. Perhaps you can point out a list of right-wing blogs that generated a "shitstorm" over this story?>>

You don't remember a shitstorm from the right-wing blogosphere over this one because the right-wing blogosphere doesn't give a shit about Sri Lankan babies, the fucked-up state of the Sri Lankan hospital system or how many would-be parents apply for how many Sri Lankan babies today, yesterday or any other day.  It is a non-issue for them.

<<I always support my claims. >>

Sure you do.  With irrelevant pointless examples that don't prove shit.

[Lacking a loyal and devoted claque like sirs here, I have to invent my own dim-witted cheering section:  "ooooh, THAT must hurt."]

<<You can't say the same.>>

Actually, I can, and more.  Only when I say it, it's true.  Unlike you.  On the extremely rare occasion when I am wrong, I admit it.  Otherwise I back it up.  Repeatedly.  When I refuse to back up the same thing that I've backed up numerous times before, I point to the past backing ups with as much detail as I can recall.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »
From the article (in a grey box)
Battlefield ethics

Results are from anonymous surveys and focus groups involving 1,320 soldiers and 447 Marines conducted from August to October in Iraq.

The interviewers tabulated the percentage of “yes” responses to statements starting with, “I would report a unit member for”:

ARMY | MARINES

Injuring or killing an innocent noncombatant: 55% 40% Stealing from a noncombatant:
50% | 33%

Mistreating a noncombatant:
46% | 32%

Not following general orders:
46% | 35%

Violating rules of engagement:
47% | 34%

Unnecessarily destroying private property:
43% | 30%

Source
: Army Mental Health Advisory Team
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »
You don't remember a shitstorm from the right-wing blogosphere over this one because the right-wing blogosphere doesn't give a shit about Sri Lankan babies, the fucked-up state of the Sri Lankan hospital system or how many would-be parents apply for how many Sri Lankan babies today, yesterday or any other day.  It is a non-issue for them.

Then perhaps you should be specific in the request for an example. My example meets all the criteria in your request; but I'll be happy to provide more once you've been more explicit in your request.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 04:16:19 PM »
OUCH, Ami with another massive body blow      ;)

I'm waiting for him to tell me why that one doesn't apply.

And he finally did so. Typical bogus AMBE attempt at redirect, though.

;D

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 05:30:33 PM »
<<Results are from anonymous surveys and focus groups involving 1,320 soldiers and 447 Marines conducted from August to October in Iraq.

<<The interviewers tabulated the percentage of “yes” responses to statements starting with, “I would report a unit member for”:

<<ARMY | MARINES

<<Injuring or killing an innocent noncombatant: 55% 40% Stealing from a noncombatant:
50% | 33%
. . . etc.>>

GEE, I am just SO SURPRISED.  Nobody was asked anything about cutting in line or farting over the prison P.A. system.  Guess Ami will have to design his own poll now.  Too bad the Army didn't consult him in the first place.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 05:54:13 PM »
<<Then perhaps you should be specific in the request for an example. My example meets all the criteria in your request; but I'll be happy to provide more once you've been more explicit in your request.>>

Figure it out, Einstein.  The subject was a poll  of the military showing a shocking absence of moral values, consisting of a high tolerance for prisoner abuse.  There was a challenge to the authenticity of the poll, based in part on the fact that the article that reported the poll did not show how "abuse" was defined in the poll.  Theoretically, "abuse" could have been defined in the poll as something as trivial as cutting into a queue.  (So the argument went.)

My response to that argument was that (a) a reputable newspaper would presumably publish a reputable, professional poll taken in accordance with good polling practices and (b) that if the poll had been so flawed, there would have been a shitstorm of protest over the flaws in the right-wing blogosphere.

YOU then attempted, lamely as always, to "disprove" my contention that the rightwing blogosphere would have launched a shitstorm of protest over a faulty poll that defamed the "good name" of the American military (BWAHAHAHAHAHA) by producing the inspired example of some cockamamie media story of mixed-up babies in a Sri Lankan hospital and - -  wait for it!  the amazing failure of the right-wing blogosphere to go into overdrive in protest over the fakery of the story.  As if they gave a shit or ever would give a shit about any of the elements of that story.

Figured it out yet, Einstein?  Or must I go into even more excruciating detail in explaining the obvious?

- - Oh, Jeeziz, I almost forgot my phantom sirs-claque's chorus of approval; can't end without one any more:  - -

Oooh a roundhouse right to Ami's head!  Dunno if he's gonna come out for the next round, folks! ;D 

Do I really need to make this stuff up for myself?  It's so undignified!!  Doesn't anyone here wanna be my champion and hanger on?  Isn't there an anti-sirs in the house?  Anyone?   Anyone?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:02:44 PM by Michael Tee »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 05:55:49 PM »
GEE, I am just SO SURPRISED.  Nobody was asked anything about cutting in line or farting over the prison P.A. system.  Guess Ami will have to design his own poll now.  Too bad the Army didn't consult him in the first place.

Different question, but continue to spout your AMBE.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
<<Different question, blah blah AMBE blah AMBE blah memory loss blah>>

God-damn right it's a different question.  Every question YOU'D imagine would be in the poll is a different question from what was actually IN the poll.  That's what happens when you never take your head out of your own ass.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 06:18:21 PM »
<<And he finally did so. [explain why my example was irrelevant and didn't prove shit]  Typical bogus AMBE attempt at redirect, though.>>

Hilarious. 

Translation: 

Yeah he nailed it exactly.  Showed just where why and how the example I came up with proved absolutely nothing and was totally irrelevant to the discussion.  What can I say now except "bogus" "typical" and my old standard "AMBE"?  Logic ain't gonna get me out of this one.  Fact ain't gonna do it.  Bring out those magic words!!  and the magic smiley icon too!