Author Topic: I know your not gonna believe this  (Read 18240 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I know your not gonna believe this
« on: May 08, 2007, 05:38:57 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/05/08/apop.DTL

I`m actually starting getting flak for this.
just yesterday some kids drove by doing that gun pose by the virginia tech video
and reference to that incidents is getting kinda frequent.

I was worried my nephew was gonna be messed with
never thought I would get annoyed.
i wonder if i need a gun now?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I know your not gonna believe this
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:20:29 PM »
I don't know how to advise you on that. Do you have pepper spray?
 But I am very sorry for the pack mentality that these people are showing, and I really hope it dissipates.  And disappears.   
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:46:47 PM »
the gun part just pop up there and ended up for me to write there
strangely or not racism has never been too much of a deal for me since i live in san francisco.
it`s fairly minor here
I`m not saying everybody is treated equal(lets be real here)
but actual violence has pretty much been non racial catagory.
ex. drugs,money etc.
in fact on the subject of racism
it not much of a issue to most asian immigrants.
remember here in america working is almost a right while most of earth working is a privilege.
in the philipines you need to be a college student to work in macdonalds
most of my relatives don`t understand the newspaper saying their is a work shortage ,but everybody can get a job in fastfood right away.
don`t get me wrong ,racism is still wrong and should still addressed
but as long as we can still work it`ll never be a primary concern.
I still laugh when my race is accused of stealing jobs.
when the real truth is people just don`t bother doing those jobs.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:29:03 PM »
I'm really sorry, kimba.

I hope you don't get a gun, because IMHO, they cause more violence than they prevent.  I can visualize quite a few scenarios where you get hurt because you had a gun and only one where you get saved by a gun.  It's only in the movies that the good guys with the guns beat the bad guys with the guns.  In real life the good guys are too good and the bad guys are too bad.  They're faster than you, meaner than you, more experienced than you and most importantly they have nothing to lose.  That's because they're punks.  They're not afraid of hurting you and going to jail and you just don't have it in you to be that ruthless and that savage.

So I'd ignore whatever right-wing fantasies you hear about gun ownership.  I'd say there's a 5% chance it could save your ass in a tight corner and a 95% chance it could really fuck you up.

If you feel there's a chance they might break into where you live, that's a whole nuther story, of course.  Then I'd want to check with a lawyer, a gun shop and a gun club, explore the options, maybe speak to a couple of cops if you know any well enough to get their honest opinion, and make an informed decision.  I sure as hell hope you won't need one.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:39:02 PM »
not too worried about breakins
I live in a fairly asian neighborhood,It would be extremely stupid to mess this area.
we`re a very aggressive community here.
that kind of behaiviour would not be tolerated at all
the gun thing just popped in my head and got written down
no biggie.
violence is pretty low in these parts
robbery is another matter
upper middle income area will have these problems.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:04:14 AM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=71215872

If you want a gun , start by educateing yourself and seek instruction , it is a big step , a large responsibility and worth the effort to do it right.

There are guns that are lemons , there are guns that tho generally good won't be suitable to your purpose.

MT is right that you can hurt yourself , learn the safety tecniques  , so that you won't be more dangerous to what you are protecting than the origional threat.

Find out what the law is , as it applys to you , even if you intend to break the law it should not be from ignorance. Ignorance of the law helps you get caught , doesn't help you avoid penaltys.

There are guns availible that have  built in lock which needs a special key , I like this feature .

If you reject lethal force there are still wepons that work pretty well , I like this one -http://www.dyewitness.com/

Tho it might not be as certain as shooting it does allow a shot in the dark without worying that you will be killing your grandmother.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 01:00:06 AM »
I already got the training
it`s required in one of my jobs
I used to have a exposed gun permit.
I gonna sound wimpy,but I`m gonna have to retrain later on.
as I`m getting older my cracked elbow is making it seriosly harder to fire a gun with my right hand
I`m gonna have to learn how to use my left from now on.
It`s getting harder to lift with my right hand now
right now I can give one solid punch and it`ll be useless for a few days.
can`t even use a mouse.
this is why people need to watch thier step near a swimming pool or slip and fall on their elbow.
I looks more painful than it really feels
my friends were seriously flinching more than me.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 01:30:39 AM »
The Dywitness product is very light and recoil free , this or a tazer could be your weak hand weapon with a left handed pistol for more power.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=71433693

The preparation you choose seems to depend on the sort of attack you think possible or likely.

If you are going to be attacked by gunmen , a gun is best , but if you are attacked by lawyers another lawyer is the better weapon.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 11:33:10 AM »
<<MT is right that you can hurt yourself , learn the safety tecniques  , so that you won't be more dangerous to what you are protecting than the origional threat.>>

Safety first, sure, but I was also referring to the possibility that a guy who goes for his weapon but doesn't get to it fast enough or misses on his first shot can wind up a lot worse off than if he never had a weapon to start with.  We don't all have the speed and reflexes of a jacked-up 22-yr-old street fighter, whatever illusions we might want to hold on to.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 12:03:08 PM »
We don't all have the speed and reflexes of a jacked-up 22-yr-old street fighter, whatever illusions we might want to hold on to.

And there are precious few "jacked-up 22-yr-old street fighters" running around.

Most of 'em are drug-adled punks that have barely handled a firearm and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 12:32:42 PM »
<<And there are precious few "jacked-up 22-yr-old street fighters" running around.

<<Most of 'em are drug-adled punks that have barely handled a firearm and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.>>

You hear that, kimba?  You can start packin heat now.  Ami says your chances of getting the drop on the bad guys is, what is it Ami, 80%?  90% ?   Boy, THAT'S good news!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 12:39:16 PM »
<<And there are precious few "jacked-up 22-yr-old street fighters" running around.

<<Most of 'em are drug-adled punks that have barely handled a firearm and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.>>

You hear that, kimba?  You can start packin heat now.  Ami says your chances of getting the drop on the bad guys is, what is it Ami, 80%?  90% ?   Boy, THAT'S good news!

What are the odds of surviveing such an encounter if you have no wepon?

Seems that if you did not pull your wepon the odds would not be worse , haveing the choice is 100% improvement and 0% drawback.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 01:21:29 PM »

Seems that if you did not pull your wepon the odds would not be worse , haveing the choice is 100% improvement and 0% drawback.
####################################################################

Could be better odds of surviving without.  Probably are.  The guy just might want your wallet.   Or to score a few points by insulting or humiliating you in some small way.  They're not all homicidal, but try to draw down on them and they could get pissed off pretty fast.  Or their self-preservation instinct could go into overdrive.

Your big mistake seems to be in assuming that all these encounters begin with the bad guy determined to kill the good guy or wreak serious physical harm on him.  In fact most of them are random encounters where the motive is simple robbery or theft, or just an exchange of street insults.  There are relatively few homicidal maniacs roaming the streets and lots of petty grifters, muggers, punks etc.

You're also ignoring the false sense of security that a weapon can give - - it could unwisely embolden somebody in an escalating confrontation to take just one little step that he might otherwise not have taken, to linger a bit longer in an unpleasant situation or to enter a bar where he obviously should't be.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »
I`ve never had a situation which the other guy had a gun
baseball bat-yes
but never a gun
p.s. no matter how skill you are
nobody wins in a knife-fight
both sides loses blood

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 02:06:29 PM »

####################################################################

Could be better odds of surviving without.  Probably are.  The guy just might want your wallet.   Or to score a few points by insulting or humiliating you in some small way.  They're not all homicidal, but try to draw down on them and they could get pissed off pretty fast.  Or their self-preservation instinct could go into overdrive.

Your big mistake seems to be in assuming that all these encounters begin with the bad guy determined to kill the good guy or wreak serious physical harm on him.  In fact most of them are random encounters where the motive is simple robbery or theft, or just an exchange of street insults.  There are relatively few homicidal maniacs roaming the streets and lots of petty grifters, muggers, punks etc.

You're also ignoring the false sense of security that a weapon can give - - it could unwisely embolden somebody in an escalating confrontation to take just one little step that he might otherwise not have taken, to linger a bit longer in an unpleasant situation or to enter a bar where he obviously should't be.

Think: Bernard Goetz.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D