Author Topic: What's the worst manifestation of PC?  (Read 3778 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's the worst manifestation of PC?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 02:38:52 AM »
Insert Quote
Quote from: _JS on May 14, 2007, 11:10:47 AM
The worst manifestation of political correctness is that stories of extreme political correctness, that likely represent a tiny percentage of the appropriate use of the term, are used by actual racists and bigots to wildly exaggerate the negative effects of tolerance in a multi-cultural society.

Political correctness, used appropriately has very positive effects that have made the office and other workplaces far more professional and has significantly limited tolerance of racist, misogynist, and other comments that would otherwise create nearly impossible workplace environments for some people.

What are you tolerant of?

I don't understand the question, can you be more specific?

Would you hire a redneck? Like to see your sister dating one?

I would hire anyone who is best qualified for a position and can act in a professional manner.

I don't have a sister.

I don't understand the question, can you be more specific?

Tolerance can't be defined as acceptance of things one likes to accept ,  it is only tolerance if it is allowing something that is disliked

What do you dislike , but allow people to be and do around you ?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's the worst manifestation of PC?
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »
Tolerance can't be defined as acceptance of things one likes to accept ,  it is only tolerance if it is allowing something that is disliked

What do you dislike , but allow people to be and do around you ?

I suppose this depends upon one's definition. We cannot define "tolerance" so that it becomes circuitous logic. If we define it too broadly then we have to "tolerate intolerance" and it becomes meaningless.

So there are certainly limits to tolerance, if that is what you are asking. Would I sit idly by and allow a co-worker to demean someone's race or religion? No, probably not.

I've defended Muslims, women, African-Americans, and other such groups before from people making ridiculous comments. And no, I don't necessarily mean jokes - but serious comments. Especially when I know (or have good reason to believe) they are made out of ignorance or blind hatred.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.