Author Topic: Kicking the Crotch of America.... Round II  (Read 1895 times)

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kicking the Crotch of America.... Round II
« on: March 01, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »
Giuliani Will Meet The Right

BY RYAN SAGER
March 1, 2007
URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/49557

When Mayor Giuliani takes the stage at the Conservative Political Action Conference at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C., at noon tomorrow, it will mark the end of a long, strange, fitful anti-courtship between the man increasingly known as "Rudy" and a venerable right-wing institution that just doesn't know what to make of a crime-fighting, welfare-reforming, abortion-supporting, drag-wearing foreign-policy hawk.

CPAC is the conservative movement's annual family reunion. Two years ago, Mr. Giuliani was the black sheep. Though he won the yearly CPAC presidential straw poll in 2005, measuring the mood primarily of younger convention-goers, he was decidedly persona non grata with the higher-ups. The former mayor, known for his leadership after the September 11, 2001, attacks, asked to speak — he even offered to waive his usual fee — but was flatly rebuffed. "I would assume he wanted to come here to boost his conservative credentials, but we didn't think that would be useful," David Keene, the head of the American Conservative Union, which runs CPAC, sniffed at the time to a Rudy-friendly columnist, Deroy Murdock.

That, of course, was in the heady days after President Bush's reelection, when conservatives thought the good times would never stop rolling. Cut to a year later: In 2006, as the GOP's fortunes began to sag, Mr. Keene extended Mr. Giuliani an invitation, but it was a grudging (and last-minute) one. "A lot of people wanted to hear him on the terror question, so we invited him," Mr. Keene told me at the time — taking care to add, "If you ask me if he's a viable candidate for anything: no." Mr. Giuliani chose to stay away, citing prior engagements. Mr. Keene said the mayor had a standing invitation for 2007. Cut to this month, with the Republican Party in free fall — Congress lost, Mr. Bush's approval ratings in the gutter, and the fortunes of more conventional conservatives such as Senator McCain of Arizona and the former governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney, fading — and it could hardly be a more auspicious time for the now-indisputable front-runner for the Republican nomination to come face-to-face with the wary base. But wait. If the base is really so wary, how exactly is Mr. Giuliani so far ahead in the polls?

The fact is, the base is already fairly comfortable with Mr. Giuliani and is quite seriously considering his candidacy. It's primarily a few gatekeepers — such as Mr. Keene, Focus on the Family head James Dobson, and Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission — who stand truly dead-set against him. And these gatekeepers are becoming increasingly irrelevant in a party that wants to find its way out of the political wilderness and, to some extent, blames the more extreme elements of the religious right for leading it into the woods in the first place.

The polling on this point is unambiguous. (It has been for well over a year now, but people are only now finally beginning to believe it.) Mr. Giuliani is far and away the front-runner in the race for the Republican nomination. And that support comes not from moderate or liberal Republicans, but from conservatives — including the white evangelicals who have made up such an important part of Mr. Bush's base.

Is Mr. Giuliani going to run away with the nomination? The early signs certainly point in that direction. He's leading Mr. McCain in Iowa; he's in spitting distance of Mr. McCain in New Hampshire, where the Arizona senator made his mark with the help of political independents in 2000; he's polling strong down South (though trailing in South Carolina), and the prospect of a California-New York-Florida primary in early February 2008 is nothing but good news for America's mayor.

Meanwhile, Mr. Giuliani seems to have a certain charisma, a certain likability factor, that's going to make it hard for anyone else to catch up. And that's not a matter of opinion. It's a measurable phenomenon. A Gallup poll released at the beginning of last month had some truly astonishing numbers. Don't tell Al Sharpton, but Mr. Giuliani is considered "more likeable" than Mr. McCain by Republicans and Republican leaners by 74% to 21% (a spread of 53 points). These same folks say Mr. Giuliani would be "better in a crisis" by a margin of 40 points. They think he "would do more to unite the country" by 37 points.

The reception Mr. Giuliani gets at CPAC tomorrow will be telling. Two years ago, even a year ago, he could have gotten a hero's welcome — a thank you for his service on September 11 and little scrutiny otherwise, with the presidential contest so far away. Not so here in early 2007. By the time this crowd meets again, the primary could be all but decided. Tomorrow will be a time for sizing up, a time for kicking the tires, a time for some tough questions from a room filled with people who could hardly have imagined a former mayor of New York City being the frontrunner for the Republican nomination just a few years ago.

Because, after all, the conservative movement has to begin dealing with the fact that Mr. Giuliani is now not only the "viable candidate" Mr. Keene denied he was, but far more — he is the front-runner.

Mr. Sager is the online editor of The New York Sun. He can be reached at rsager@nysun.com.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:16:10 PM by Religious Dick »
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Kicking the Crotch of America....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:40:32 PM »
Watch and see the actual leaders of the GOP destroy Giulani's candidacy. mThe voters in the primaries are not really in charge. They will be ignored and/or manipulated.

He will not be permitted to be the candidate, just as McCain was destroyed for 2000.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:50:50 PM »
Watch and see the actual leaders of the GOP destroy Giulani's candidacy

Is the fix also in for the dem primaries?

Did the oilgarch choose Kerry because they were afraid of the New Order brought forward by Dean?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 11:30:33 PM »
I must have missed something. As it relates to the article, what are we calling the crotch of America, and who is doing the kicking?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:25:35 AM »
As it relates to the article, what are we calling the crotch of America, and who is doing the kicking?

Social Conservatives and the Religious Right.

And the ones doing the kicking?

Hard to say. Pundits i guess. But aren't they really kicking down strawmen they erected for just this purpose.

Rudy isn't that much different than Bush, except he may be more eloquent.

Religious Dick

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 05:25:50 PM »
And the ones doing the kicking?

I would say largely most other conservatives, given that it's with their support Giuliani is leading the polls.

Rudy isn't that much different than Bush, except he may be more eloquent.

And probably a bit smarter, too. While his stated positions may not be all that different from Bush's, I seem to remember Bush's stated position was that the US practice a "humbler foreign policy". While Giuliani may be promoting a guns-a-blazin' foreign policy along the lines of Bush's, I'd expect he's probably too astute a manager to create as much of a mess as Bush has.

It took Nixon to go to China, after all......
-Sir Edmund Burke

The_Professor

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 05:41:41 PM »
It will prove interesting, as time progresses, to seee how this plays out. The country club Republicans might well indeed support the former New York mayor, but I doubt many of the more conservative elements of the Party will due to his stands on some social issues and his marriage debacle.

Plus, I would think that a "guns blazing" foreign policy might be a major reason we are in this Iraq debacle and, after all, isn't this a major reason for the change in Party control?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 05:57:37 PM »
I would say largely most other conservatives, given that it's with their support Giuliani is leading the polls.

But i don't see the other conservatives making Rudy an issue or driving in wedges, they are just supporting him.

The punditry are the ones making Rudy an issue, just as they are trying to make Romney's religion an issue.

Perhaps it is the divide and conquer strategy at play.

The_Professor

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 07:02:22 PM »
Are you indicating that perhaps Guiliani is obtaining perhaps lukewarm supprot from conservatives, BT?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »
I am suggesting that i don't have a problem with Rudy and i consider myself relatively conservative.

Rudy is not that different from Bush on the spectrum. I don't see why it is a surprise that he is doing well.

I'm not a McCain fan so Rudy is fine with me. He does have executive experience which is a huge plus.
Newt would be fine also, though i think he would be more of a polarizing lightning rod.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 07:23:24 PM »
Fact is if i had to choose today

Rudy
Mitt
Newt

in that order

The_Professor

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 07:25:12 PM »
How about Romney?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Kicking ....
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 07:55:10 PM »
Fact is if i had to choose today
Rudy
Mitt
Newt
in that order

I'd probably go Newt, Rudy, ..........?  Umm, who was that Libertarian Republican you were referring to, Prince?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 10:19:29 PM »
How about Romney?

That would be Mitt

Religious Dick

• View Profile
  • Liked:
-Sir Edmund Burke