Author Topic: Abortion patients  (Read 7169 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Abortion patients
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:47:46 PM »
"The abortion rate among women living below the federal poverty level is more than four times that of women living above 300 percent of the poverty level." Not surprisingly, there is a similar gap in access to contraception, leading the Institute to speak of "Two Americas" for American women with respect to the ability to control their reproductive lives.

http://www.alternet.org/story/52386/?page=1
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Abortion patients
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:55:08 PM »
Why is it a given that access to contraceptives for women is two tiered based on economics?

As with all budget considerations, isn't setting priorities part of the decision making process?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 11:55:37 PM »
Is the point to eleminate poverty by evolution?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:33:53 AM »
Right, Plane, that's what I was trying to get across. That was like my whole point.
Someday,   Lo, the poor will NOT be with us always.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 01:37:07 AM »
Right, Plane, that's what I was trying to get across. That was like my whole point.
Someday,   Lo, the poor will NOT be with us always.

Not if we kill them young .

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 02:03:57 AM »
God forbid we should do something to help their mothers have a living wage, or to stay home while the youngest are babies.  Oops, cost too much.  What can you do...never mind.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »
God forbid we should do something to help their mothers have a living wage, or to stay home while the youngest are babies.  Oops, cost too much.  What can you do...never mind.

Why not kill them too?

Is sympathy only for those who have earned it?

If killing them is a legitimate solution where do you decide to stop?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 02:08:25 AM »
God forbid we should do something to help their mothers have a living wage, or to stay home while the youngest are babies.  Oops, cost too much.  What can you do.

Here's a thought.....teach responsibility, teach the meaning of when its both psychologically & economically viable to bring a child into this world.  But no, apparently we're to teach to hell with it all, let us do what we want, when we want, and damn the consequences, because, hey, we'll get the taxpayers to take care of our gross lack of judgmement and control       >:(
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 02:26:19 AM »
I would still like to know why contraceptives are burdensome for the poor to obtain.

Planned Parenthood gives prescription contraceptives  away for free.

And over the counter methods are inexpensive. So why the straw man?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 03:38:46 AM »
I'm not sure what the access to contraception means. 
Does it mean access to contraception that will actually get used?  Because some men will not wear condoms, and some women will still sleep with these men. 
Not everyone has  a Planned Parenthood,  or transportation to a town that does have one; a Medicaid card, enough money for a dr.'s appointment and the pill Rx.  And some young women (and older) are stupid. 

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 07:52:57 AM »
<<Here's a thought.....teach responsibility, teach the meaning of when its both psychologically & economically viable to bring a child into this world.>>

I think that's a great idea!  You could start with the churches.  Ministers could tell their flocks to be reponsible, not have promiscuous sex.  Tell 'em it's WRONG to have babies when you're an unmarried high school student.  Hey, I bet once they start teaching responsibility, the whole problem will just vanish like magic.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »
<<Here's a thought.....teach responsibility, teach the meaning of when its both psychologically & economically viable to bring a child into this world.>>

I think that's a great idea!  You could start with the churches.  Ministers could tell their flocks to be reponsible, not have promiscuous sex.  Tell 'em it's WRONG to have babies when you're an unmarried high school student.  Hey, I bet once they start teaching responsibility, the whole problem will just vanish like magic.

Well, I'm sure that made some sense to Tee       :-\    Or....is Tee advocating that all public schools be rearranged to advocate & promote faith based Christian education, thru-out their curriculum?  Hmmmmmm, interesting change of thought process
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:17:28 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 12:12:20 PM »
I'm not sure what the access to contraception means. 

Access to me would mean ability to obtain. Most pharmacies have the ability to mail prescriptions. So if you can get mail you can get contraceptives. All else is simply excuse making.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 01:36:53 PM »
Here's a thought.....teach responsibility, teach the meaning of when its both psychologically & economically viable to bring a child into this world.  But no, apparently we're to teach to hell with it all, let us do what we want, when we want, and damn the consequences, because, hey, we'll get the taxpayers to take care of our gross lack of judgmement and control       >:(

Here's a thought, we could try not treating the poor like they are children in need of a lesson from a holier-than-thou, patronistic, talking down, ass.

Because you know it all comes down to how horrible taxpayers have it and how the Government isn't teaching people the right things.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 01:43:24 PM »
teach responsibility, teach the meaning of when its both psychologically & economically viable to bring a child

not gonna happen EVER

I saw a montel show about pro-life vs planned parenthood
the pro-lifers just won`t budge on the issue of economics as a deciding factor on how many kids to have(they don`t believe in it)
such thinking will promote using contraceptives .
so until pro-lifer expanded beyond abstinence only policy .
teaching responsibility is a no go