Author Topic: The Privileged get off Scott-free?  (Read 3111 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Privileged get off Scott-free?
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:30:33 PM »
Paris Hilton Released From LA Jail Early 

Jun 7 12:04 PM US/Eastern
By ROBERT JABLON
Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Paris Hilton was released from a Los Angeles County jail early Thursday because of an unspecified medical problem and will fulfill the remainder of her sentence for probation violation in home confinement, a sheriff's spokesman said.
The 26-year-old hotel heiress was sent home shortly after 2 a.m. wearing an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet, sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

Hilton was sentenced to 45 days for violating her probation in a reckless driving case, but had been expected to serve 23 days in jail because of state rules allowing shorter sentences for good behavior.

She ended up spending three full days at the all-women's facility in Lynwood, but because she checked in late Sunday and left early Thursday, authorities credited her with five days of time served. She'll be confined to her Hollywood Hills home for 40 days.

"I can't specifically talk about the medical situation other than to say that yes, it played a part in this," Whitmore said.

Hutton didn't immediately return calls seeking comment Thursday. Nor did her publicist, Elliot Mintz.

Whitmore refused to answer questions from reporters when asked if the medical condition was physical or psychological. He said it was not a staph infection. The jail provided Hilton with a pamphlet on the skin infection when she checked in.

The conditions of Hilton's home confinement were not immediately disclosed. Whitmore referred all questions to the L.A. County Probation Department. Messages left for the person handling media calls weren't immediately returned.

Hilton had surrendered to authorities with little fanfare late Sunday after a surprise appearance at the MTV Movie Awards, where she worked the red carpet in a strapless designer gown.

"I am trying to be strong right now," she told reporters at the time. "I'm ready to face my sentence. Even though this is a really hard time, I have my family, my friends and my fans to support me, and that's really helpful."

Hilton was housed in the "special needs" unit of the 13-year-old jail, separate from most of its 2,200 inmates. The unit contains 12 two- person cells reserved for police officers, public officials, celebrities and other high-profile inmates. She didn't have a cellmate.

Hilton's lawyer, Richard A. Hutton, said Monday after his client's first night in jail that she was doing well under the circumstances.

"She's using this time to reflect on her life, to see what she can do to make the world better and hopefully, in my opinion, to change the attitudes that exist about her among many people," Hutton said after visiting Hilton.

When Hilton was sentenced May 4, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer ruled she would not be allowed any work release, furloughs or use of an alternative jail or electronic monitoring in lieu of jail.

Whitmore said Thursday that Sauer "was consulted and he was advised."

Officers arrested Hilton in Hollywood on Sept. 7. In January, she pleaded no contest to the reckless-driving charge and was sentenced to 36 months' probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

She was pulled over by California Highway Patrol on Jan. 15. Officers informed Hilton she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging she was not to drive. She then was pulled over by sheriff's deputies on Feb. 27, at which time she was charged with violating probation.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The Privileged get off Scott-free?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »
damn!!!!!!!
ya`ll don`t understand
I made a bet that she`ll never do full term and it`ll be converted to community services.
I totally underestimated this.but i still won the bet.
as a civil servant I have a extreme low opinion of our system
in fact right now I might be out of a job in a few months due to certain peoples incompetence in my department.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 02:26:39 PM »
But, kimba, being a civil servant, don't you have a lot of job protection? After all, isn't THAT one of the major reasons why people see out employmnet in the public sector?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »
I`m a on-call guard for the fine-arts museums
which has very little protections.
the situation I`m talking about is actually quite hard for many to believe
to maintain my job i needed to reapply on-line to get on a list to be considered for continued work.
it`s a clean house system to get rid of non-performing guards.
but the museum for some reason had me on the list as one of the guards who didn`t not apply
I had e-mail conformations that i applyed
nobody would believe me that I appied
meaning I had no chance of getting work after this term
unfortunately I got upset and printed out copies of confirmation directly from the city database and sent copies of them to every person dealing with museum hr.
after 2 days of non-response. I went overboard I faxed & hand delivered copies of the letters stating I did not apply to the city hr department asking several questions  about their hiring process and are they responsible for me losing my job.
it took less than an hour for the hr to call me at work explaining they`re is no problems everything is fixed now.
good thing she called I was about to write the board of supervisor.
oh I forgot to mention I involked the sunshine ordinance so that if anyone ingores me people will lose thier jobs.
I shouldn`t gone all that crazy .
but for the life of me I was going to be out of a job.
people actually told to keep quite
screw them.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »
One of my duties as a councilman is heading up utility appeals. This is where folks ask for relief because of a broken pipe or they left the hose running overnight or they never suspected a constantly running toilet would use so much water over a months time.

We had one guy come in who proceded to tell us what a sorry bunch we were, how city services suck and how he wished he never moved here. Well he had a running toilet for a month that he admitted he knew was faulty and hadn't bothered to fix, then was surprised when i started laughing when he asked for a break in his water bill.

People are strange!

We told him to bring a receipt from a plumber or home depot showing he bought repair parts and we would look at it again next month.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »
I see that also
I know one guy who ran a thou a day in penalties for a year til he wanted some remodelling done and was forbidden to til he pay.
he actually thought he could pay the original fine and that would cancell the penalties.
he tried to use the board of supervisors to wave it.
but it was pointed out a good portion of that penaly money goes straight to general funds.
so he`s up sh1t creek now.

but back about city service sucks
my case points that out
I did everything asked of me and it took me making a stink for me to be considered for work now.
the Hr dept. is notorious for being bad.
they only refer to resume and never follow up.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 03:41:24 PM »
Being a computer guy, i instituted a trouble ticket system almost as soon as i got in office. Our average response time from call to city hall to resolution is less than 24 hours.

Of course the citizens do have to call it in.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 05:35:07 PM »
computers
sure subject there
we`re try to get free wireless for the whole city
but it has soo many snags .
mainly cost and quality.
for a free service people are complaining about quality.
this town has too many of the wrong people in charge
ex. board of supervisors
SF is one of the most expensive city in the country and theirs talk of getting rid of dollar stores and get more boutiques.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 05:50:53 PM »
for a free service people are complaining about quality.

"You get what you pay for."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 06:22:13 PM »
We are also running a pilot program for seniors so that if a neighbor is willing we will connect seniors via wireless to the neighbors dsl or cable system. It is a secure hook up and seems to work pretty well. It isn't a government program per se though we do help with installation and setup. We will also be holding seminars on how to get the most out of your computers, ie word processing, messenging to stay in touch with friends and family and how to use google.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 07:47:10 PM »
All this is fine, but is the Paris Hilton issue "fair"? If it were you doing such a sentence, would YOU get out early?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 12:08:51 AM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 07:48:16 PM »
All this is fine, but is the Paris Hilton issue "fair"? IOf it were you doing such a sentence, would YOU get out early?

I guess it depends on the medical problems that she had.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »
The rumor is that she has a rash.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 09:28:03 PM »
The rumor is that she has a rash.

I seriously doubt she got out for a simple rash.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 12:04:52 AM »
I`m betting on depression.
being in jail could be rough on her psyche.
very traumatic.
remember micheal fey
he got his punishment cut because of his depression.
it`s not like she would have to fake being depress in jail.