Author Topic: A Parallel Illustrating a Point of Character  (Read 4241 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Parallel Illustrating a Point of Character
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »
Is there no diffrence between being wrong and lieing?

"Experts say that Iraq may have nuclear weapons. That's bad news - they may have a nuclear bomb. Now the good news is that they have to drop it with a camel." -David Letterman

"Some Democrats say the estimated $60 billion dollar cost of a war with Iraq could be better spent at home. When he heard that, President Bush agreed and announced plans to bomb Ohio." -Jay Leno

"The New York Times is reporting that President Bush now has a formal plan for attacking Iraq. They say the key to this plan is timing. As soon as Bush's popularity falls below 52 percent, then it goes into effect." -Jay Leno, July 2002
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blsaddamjokes.htm

Sometimes I think that the only peole who know hat President Bush actually has said are the jokewriters who need the material , everyone elese just repeats the misquotes.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 03:27:59 PM »
Is there no diffrence between being wrong and lieing?
========================================
About half the time Juniorbush lies, and close to the other half, he is wrong.
Sometimes these go together, such as when after only accepting intel that said that Saddam had his famous WMD's, Juniorbush stated that Saddam had WMD's and his dropping them on Americans was "immanent".

He was correct in his opinion. however, that the US cannot deport 12 million illegals, and therefore some must be permitted to stay, one way or another.

A person who knows the US, and knows how to sneak into the US, and might just hold a serious grudge against the US is a greater threat than one who is permitted to stay. Out of 12 million deportees, I cannot imagine that there might just be a hundred or three who  might hold a major grudge.

Of course, retraining 12 million workers, American, Mexican or Punjabi, for the jobs that the 12 mllion are doing now is also an expense in money, time spent in training and materials wasted.

I think immigration is the only useful thing the nearly useless sack o' crap known as Juniorbush has been right about in eight long years. We were all better off when he was swindling the taxpayers out of a park for his loser baseball team.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 04:15:16 PM »
"...such as when after only accepting intel that said that Saddam had his famous WMD's, Juniorbush stated that Saddam had WMD's and his dropping them on Americans was "immanent".

When you say that President Bush said that the use of WMD on the US was   "immanent" are you lieing or just being wrong?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 05:16:43 PM »
It was one of Juniorbush's flunkies that said this, Condi or Cheney.

They just recently argued the point that "immanent" did not mean "right away", or "soon", but I think something more like "perhaps possible, maybe almost"
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 05:24:42 PM »
It was one of Juniorbush's flunkies that said this, Condi or Cheney.  They just recently argued the point that "immanent" did not mean "right away", or "soon", but I think something more like "perhaps possible, maybe almost"

Actually NO ONE said that, outside of reporters.  Actually Bush made it clear that we act to PREVENT Saddam and his WMD from becoming an imminent threat.  That is if one wants to accept the truth vs a distorted reality where Bush is Hitler II
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

gipper

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »
"Immanent" means "present in the world" and is said of God. "Imminent" means soon to happen, a judgment call Bush was wrong about vis-a-vis Iraq.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:09:27 PM by gipper »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
It was one of Juniorbush's flunkies that said this, Condi or Cheney.

They just recently argued the point that "immanent" did not mean "right away", or "soon", but I think something more like "perhaps possible, maybe almost"

Got a quote? Of either of these?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 05:57:24 PM »
"Immanent" means "present in the world" and is said of God. "Imminent" means soon to have, a judgment call Bush was wrong about vis-a-vis Iraq.

What span of time disqualifies this word?

A few days or a few years?

When did Bush use this word in this context?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »
"Immanent" means "present in the world" and is said of God. "Imminent" means soon to have, a judgment call Bush was wrong about vis-a-vis Iraq.

What span of time disqualifies this word?  A few days or a few years?  When did Bush use this word in this context?

Apparently it's "nuance" Plane.  We conservatives don't do nuance it seems     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

gipper

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 06:02:43 PM »
What you do do, however, is bite the hand that reaches across the divide.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »

Don't mean to.

You have as much right to think President Bush wrong as have I to quibble with you.

I appreaciate that you think President Bush was wrong in good faith.

I think him right in good faith.

Does this make you or I unreasonble?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 06:12:33 PM »

You mean bringing up that Bush never used imminent in the way so many want him to have used it is "biting the hand that's reaching across the divide"??  hmmmmmmmm

gipper

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »
Listen, cowboy, whether Bush or any of his aides ever used the word is immaterial because "imminence" is the operative concept for a preemptive strike under both domestic precepts and international law.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 06:24:12 PM »
Listen, cowboy, whether Bush or any of his aides ever used the word is immaterial because "imminence" is the operative concept for a preemptive strike under both domestic precepts and international law.

Then what span of time is implyed or required?

gipper

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 06:28:30 PM »
I'll give you my own snap definition, Plane, which I submit meets the rationality test: Imminent means before such time expires as would no longer give you a meaningful and effective opportunity to eradicate the threat, and during a time when the threat actually exists and can be executed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:36:27 PM by gipper »