Author Topic: Faith-based decline  (Read 2809 times)

syrmark59

Faith-based decline
« on: October 22, 2006, 11:48:52 AM »
I'd be very curious as to what others are seeing in their parts of the nation regarding faith based education numbers.

Locally (Syracuse NY), the largest evangelical church- Believer's Chapel (very much what's been called a "megachurch") shut down their k-12 schooling program after many years.

Additionally, I have the viewpoint of having a spouse that up until last year worked at a local Catholic diocese HS. Shortly before leaving (this was not the reason she left), all staff was told that there would be minimally a 2 year wage freeze. Over this past summer and faced with declining enrollments, the diocese closed a full 1/3 of their grade schools. Diocese HS enrollements are of course also sharply down.

Faith based education was a major component of Bush's campaign agenda in both elections. And I'll remind those that fault legislative stagnation just who controls the House, Senate and WH.

How do you, Republicans, reconcile and explain this?

The_Professor

Re: Faith-based decline
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:50:28 PM »
By "you" Republicans, I suppose you are not a Republican? Or, is this a typo? Don't tell me you're a Hillary groupie! :-)

Anyway, to answer your question, I do not thnk this is a national trend. Religion in the South, for example, has, for some time,  been a stronger impact on local society than in the North.

The churches and Chrisitan schools here are increasing in membership, not the reverse.

As fas your comment on Evangelicals and their impact nationally, just remember that the Democrats would not have "lost" many of this voting block if they would not be supportive of social issues adverse to traditional Christianity such as abortion on demand and homosexuality.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 03:30:30 PM by The_Professor »

syrmark59

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 03:26:25 PM »
Well, despite Ami's very typical (I remember it well) and weak whitewash attempt, no, I'm not a Democrat.

I will add since you brought her up that the GOP should look squarely into the mirror as to the fault that Hillary Clinton was elected in the first place. They passed on a known and proven figure in Congressman Peter King for Rick Lazio, someone who most no one knew outside of Long Island. Lazio then proceeded to run a campaign that was indicative of someone inexperienced and in *way* over their head.

What I've seen here is a pronounced decline in both Catholic schools and other faith-based education, and I'm sincerely curious with how this squares with the rest of the nation, and how a very uneven ecomomy has contributed to it.

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 03:34:49 PM »
I know. Lazio was not a very respectable opponent. But, then again, what did Hillary know about the problems of New York so they they would vote for her? How much of the vote for her was the "Clinton effect"? Are New Yorkers, er, New Yawkers, satisified with her performance since then?

I ask this honestly as I do not know.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 06:48:21 PM »
Well, despite Ami's very typical (I remember it well) and weak whitewash attempt, no, I'm not a Democrat.

My whitewash attempt? Refresh my memory?

Is it anything like "why do Republicans want women to die of cancer?"
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 07:00:15 PM »
"Well, despite Ami's very typical (I remember it well) and weak whitewash attempt, no, I'm not a Democrat."

Do I detect "something" between you and Ami?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 08:10:40 PM »
What I've seen here is a pronounced decline in both Catholic schools and other faith-based education, and I'm sincerely curious with how this squares with the rest of the nation,

Here in Atlanta they have added Parochial School systems, probably to accommodate transplants from your neck of the woods.

syrmark59

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 08:46:43 PM »
"Seems to be an ongoing problem with liberals - not reading everything before posting."

That whitewash attempt.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 09:17:03 PM »
That whitewash attempt.

And what was that rhetorical observation attempting to conceal?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

syrmark59

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 10:42:32 PM »
"But, then again, what did Hillary know about the problems of New York so they they would vote for her? How much of the vote for her was the "Clinton effect"? Are New Yorkers, er, New Yawkers, satisified with her performance since then?

I ask this honestly as I do not know."

What she did was start campaigning long before she was a candidate, making plenty of inroads with local politicians, groups and communities. She in fact spent a great deal of time in upstate NY, which is the polar opposite of downstate- upstate being 2 to 1 Republican or better. She got connected and it showed/paid off- she won upstate counties that havent gone Democrat for a statewide position in decades. She was a far superior candidate.

I wouldnt call her first term great, nor would I call it a bust. But the fact that the GOP first troted out Jeanine Pirro to run againts her is laughable and shows that the GOP learned absolutely nothing. Pirro's replacement John Spencer is nearly as obscure statewide as Lazio. Pirro meanwhile is going to be crushed by Andy Cuomo in the AG's race. It's unique and humorous that Pirro is essentially a retread in the same election year, withdrawing her Senate candidacy to run for state AG, but it's an indication of just how weak the GOP has become in NY state. But an awful lot of it is selfinflicted.

State Senate majority leader (yes, the GOP controls the NY state senate) Joe Bruno undercut Gov George Pataki last year to override his budget veto- a major embarassment.

I'm no stranger to politicos eating their own when theyve fallen out of power and favor, its just that the NY GOP has been doing it while theyre still in office, and its cost them plenty of power and positions. 

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 01:57:36 PM »
That whitewash attempt.

Oh, I just thought of this - did you mean "broadbrush attempt"?