Author Topic: Meet the new Tolerance  (Read 10441 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Meet the new Tolerance
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 01:29:09 PM »
I am curious as to what proof you have that Christians are behind this sticker. Are Christians also known for having Darwin Fish on their bumpers?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
[snip]

I'm shocked, I tell you, just absolutely shocked!
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

gipper

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »
A sizeable minority (if you can extrapolate the actual "targets" to the whole of the religion) with considerable power was spoofed indecorously (but very effectively) on "The Daily Show" the other night: in the wake of the Vatican's "social letter" on driving etiquette and virtue (this is true), a correspondent on the show reported that the Church was distributing its own "breathalyzer" -- a cardinal-like figure with a tube protruding from his lower abdomen, into which the unfortunate driver is to (in the "reporters" words), "Blow, blow, blow, and keep blowing." I'm not a particularly perverse sort, but I took that as a trenchant but fair commentary on certain Church "affairs," so to speak, both hilarious and devastating to a system of disembodied teachings on morals followed hot on the heels by an "embodied hypocrisy," which puts into question the very system of morals it touts.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 09:21:36 PM »
I don't know how anyone could take the image seriously.  It was just a mischievous little kid with an impish grin peeing into the ground at the base of the cross.  It was an image of some tiny little kid defying the world of adults and piety and seriousness and authority.  It wasn't mean-spirited and it wasn't insulting.  Because the pee came from an urchin, it couldn't possibly have embodied any kind of hatred or rancor.  How anyone could feel threatened or put down by the disrespect of a mischievous urchin out to raise hackles for the sheer defiant joy of it is beyond me.  You've got to be pretty small to be offended by that.

I think when your religion is pretty much established as the "official" religion of the dominant peoples of the world, a little thicker skin is mandated.  It goes with the territory that all sorts of non-majoritarian outsiders will be sniping at you, some with the lightheartedness of that little kid and others more seriously or mean-spiritedly.  There are obvious lines that can be crossed, where a Christian might legitimately take offence at a threat or insult, but this certainly isn't one of them.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 09:58:42 PM »
Mikey

The image might be of an child. The people who put it on their care weren't.

But if intolerance and hatred is OK with you , who am i to argue.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 10:51:41 PM »
<<But if intolerance and hatred is OK with you , who am i to argue. >>

If intolerance and hatred are what you see in that image, I feel sorry for you.

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 12:39:20 AM »
I guess this is why these bumper stickers sell so well.  That image is more palatable than displaying the actual words "Piss on Christians and everything they believe in."  on the your rear window.  And if anyone takes offense, the displayer can always play innocent and say,  "Oh, c'mon....it's just a cartoon.  It doesn't mean anything."  Or maybe he can even pull off being affronted at the mere suggestion that he is demonstrating prejudice of any kind.

A picture is worth a thousand words, indeed.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 12:55:27 AM »
I guess this is why these bumper stickers sell so well.
====================================
I don't think that this particular image, with ther cross, sells well at all. I have never seen one.

Mostly, these show car or truck logos. A Ford will have a Calvin peeing on a Chevy or Dodge label, a Chevy will have a Calvin peeing on a Ford or Dodge label, and so forth.

There are lots more of these on trucks than cars.

I did see one confused Ford driver with the Calvin peeing on the Ford logo.

I have a fish with feet holding a wrench, with the slogan "EVOLVE", which seems a lot more positive than the usual stickers.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 01:50:38 AM »
I did see one confused Ford driver with the Calvin peeing on the Ford logo.

Perhaps he considered his vehicle to be a lemon.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »
<<That image is more palatable than displaying the actual words "Piss on Christians and everything they believe in.">>

I took it more as "I'm little but I'm ME!" kind of thing.  That little guy wouldn't have a clue as to "everything [Christians] believe in," wouldn't understand it if he did, and wouldn't give a shit if he understood.  As far as the "piss on Christians" goes, it would be meaningless to him because everyone in his little world is a Christian. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »
Methinks you mistake the cartoon character for the actual speaker.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 03:43:14 PM »
Doncha love how hatred and intolerance are given a pass when it's supposedly aimed at the "majority", as if that makes it alright      :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

gipper

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
Last I checked, PURE SPEECH expressing revulsion, disgust, hatred and the like was both tolerated by our own First Amendment and more broadly by democratic theory in general. The idea of both is to create thee architecture for two-way communication, in this example at least, between the "haves" and the "have nots," especially as to the impact of haves' beliefs on have nots fortunes. The question of rudeness -- or its flipside, politeness -- in such endeavors is ancillary, that is, not central to the main mechanism prized in the set-up: effective feedback.

In its most violent, exaggerated extreme, the problem we are discussing here -- only analogous to our present circumstances or, say, those under President Clinton, by the mere mantle of power and the generation of unpopular policies, but not as to moral absenteeism and evil incarnate -- are the right (but rarely the opportunity) to run trenchant, biting commentary on the radical regimes of the Left and Right: Stalinist USSR, Maoist China, with a long list of political degradations cascading down from there. Perhaps best conceived as a prophylactic as much as a corrective, our robust theory of speech explicitly tolerates the regularly annoying as a sentry against the truly evil. Live with it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »
And last time I checked, expressive criticism and highlighting of hateful intolerant speech is also protected under the 1st amendment.  Not to mention that same right when it's aimed at those who give it said speech a pass on its hate, simply because it's aimed at "the majority".  Ironic, isn't it

Criticisng said hatred and intolerance does NOT equate to trying to legislatively suppress it or prevent it.  You'd think someone of your superior intellect would know that.  What a surprise
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

gipper

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 04:15:27 PM »
My superior intellect understands the problem perfectly well, which your last post tacitly admits.