Author Topic: Meet the new Tolerance  (Read 10456 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Meet the new Tolerance
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2007, 02:12:03 AM »
<<What's a yellow Juden armband among friends.>>

That's exactly what I mean when I say that the right wing lacks any real sense of proportion.  It also illustrates either an inability to put things into context or a poor grasp of history, again classic hallmarks of the radical right.  

You can't compare the forced wearing of racial ID (the direct result of the infamous Nuremburg Racial Laws of Nazi Germany) with this cartoon.  You'd have to be completely ignorant (a) of the long history of anti-Semitic hate propaganda vilifying Jews as aliens and parasites, physically, morally and mentally inferior in every way to their "Aryan" neighbours that led up to the laws, (b) the laws themselves and (c) the ultimate consequences of that "philosophy."  OTOH, the cartoon was just a cartoon.  Without belabouring the subject, even you should be able to see the difference between the two.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2007, 02:46:44 AM »
You can't compare the forced wearing of racial ID (the direct result of the infamous Nuremburg Racial Laws of Nazi Germany) with this cartoon.

It always starts with desensitizing. demonize the rich, blame the Jews, piss on Christians. As long as it is some other group what the hell, right? Next thing you know you have Nuremberg laws.

No where am i saying that this sticker is the same as Nazi Germany. What i am saying is it all starts with intolerance. And acceptance of same.

gipper

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2007, 03:16:03 AM »
That type of spiel might get the chickens dancin' in Georgia, but up here it's a ho-hum flop. Allow me to be direct and frank (and thus court perceived rudeness): you're way off on this, BT, in La-La Land.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2007, 10:52:13 AM »
That type of spiel might get the chickens dancin' in Georgia, but up here it's a ho-hum flop.

I can see how that might be. Joisey beinp populated with an abundance of Joe Piscopo sophisticates.

But thanks for the ruling anyways, yer honor.

A bumper sticker praising the merits of sickle cell apparently is acceptable up your way.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2007, 01:24:07 PM »
It always starts with desensitizing. demonize the rich, blame the Jews, piss on Christians. As long as it is some other group what the hell, right? Next thing you know you have Nuremberg laws.   No where am i saying that this sticker is the same as Nazi Germany.

What i am saying is it all starts with intolerance. And acceptance of same.

Give that man a cigar.  Well Summized, Bt
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2007, 05:02:54 PM »
<<No where am i saying that this sticker is the same as Nazi Germany. What i am saying is it all starts with intolerance. And acceptance of same. >>

Well, you seemed to equate the cartoon with the statutorily mandated wearing of racial identification armbands or badges.  Sure sounded to me like you thought you were making a valid comparison.

I think where you are probably going wrong is in not being able to distinguish between intolerance and irreverence.  Again it's that famous right-wing "either-or" mentality, which might be OK in basic logical theory but doesn't adapt well to the complexities of real life.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2007, 05:19:21 PM »
Well, you seemed to equate the cartoon with the statutorily mandated wearing of racial identification armbands or badges.  Sure sounded to me like you thought you were making a valid comparison.

Perhaps you read into my post that which i did not say.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »
<<Perhaps you read into my post that which i did not say. >>

I'm glad to hear that. 

So I guess you agree with me that making Jews wear legally-mandated yellow "Jew" armbands and badges is one hell of a lot worse than displaying bumper stickers showing a grinning little kid pissing on the base of a cross.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
So I guess you agree with me that making Jews wear legally-mandated yellow "Jew" armbands and badges is one hell of a lot worse than displaying bumper stickers showing a grinning little kid pissing on the base of a cross.

No.

Buit i will say that the armbands grew out of the same intolerance and acceptance of that intolerance that we see displayed by the sticker and your defense of same.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2007, 11:22:22 PM »
<<No. >>

No, you DON'T agree with me that the mandatory wearing of yellow "Jew" armbands by German Jews  is a hell of a lot worse than the cartoon on the bumper sticker? 

You mean if you asked a German Jew in 1938, What's worse for you, being forced to wear those arm-bands every time you and/or your family go out of the house, or seeing bumper stickers of little kids peeing on a Jewish star? the Jew would answer, they're both just the same?  If a genie gave that Jew a choice between abolishing the arm-band law or abollishing the bumper sticker, he wouldn't choose one over the other?  You are seriously challenged in the reality department, BT.  You are so far out of touch with the real world that there is no point in debating this further with you.

<<Buit i will say that the armbands grew out of the same intolerance and acceptance of that intolerance that we see displayed by the sticker and your defense of same. >>

Not even close.  The armband came out of a lengthy propaganda campaign that vilified Jews in cartoons and posters as stooped, hook-nosed, vulturous and smelly fiends who tortured Christian children, raped innocent golden-haired Aryan maidens, robbed virtuous hard-working German citizens of the fruits of their labours and poisoned the water supply.  It came out of speeches and books that claimed the Jews had connived at Germany's loss of WWI for their own financial gain, avoided combat, betrayed their country, corrupted the morals of the youth, poisoned the purity of the Aryan bloodstream and were raking in obscene profits from the post-war collapse of the currency.  This campaign went on for years before the enactment of the Nuremburg racial laws.

The bumper sticker on the other hand came from nothing like that.  If anything, it seems to have come from Calvin & Hobbes cartoons.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2007, 11:26:11 PM »
The armband came out of a lengthy propaganda campaign that vilified Jews in cartoons and posters as stooped, hook-nosed, vulturous and smelly fiends who tortured Christian children, raped innocent golden-haired Aryan maidens, robbed virtuous hard-working German citizens of the fruits of their labours and poisoned the water supply.

So it did start with cartoon characters.

I rest my case.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2007, 11:31:40 PM »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2007, 11:42:29 PM »
<<So it did start with cartoon characters. >>

I said it came out of cartoons and I also said in the very next sentence that it came out of books and speeches. 

I didn't say or imply that it STARTED with cartoon characters.  The cartoons would have been meaningless and insignificant were there not already in place the political anti-Semitism within which the cartoon anti-Semitism took root and fluourished.

It certainly did not start with cartoon characters.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2007, 11:51:27 PM »
The armband came out of a lengthy propaganda campaign that vilified Jews in cartoons and posters as stooped, hook-nosed, vulturous and smelly fiends who tortured Christian children, raped innocent golden-haired Aryan maidens, robbed virtuous hard-working German citizens of the fruits of their labours and poisoned the water supply.

So it did start with cartoon characters.  I rest my case.

:D    touche'
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2007, 11:56:02 PM »
Mikey is going to give himself whiplash he keeps flip flopping around like that.