Author Topic: Meet the new Tolerance  (Read 10435 times)

gipper

Re: Meet the new Tolerance
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2007, 04:12:58 PM »
You. "Peer pressure," if directed to politically significant topics, is the paradigm of political action, the root model upon which the entire political process is based, and from which it burgeons into the colossus we often think we can't manage. "Hate crimes" ALWAYS require a (usually violent) base crime to which the hate aspect is engrafted as a sentence-enhancer. That was the exact scenario in the USSCt Apprendi case in 2000 or so, the grandaddy of hate-crime cases. As to hate crimes, the law tolerates inconsistency, if not dissonance. Rankling, hate-based speech is nominally protected until it accompanies a criminal acting out with (in)appropriate motive. We don't have to get stuck on that point, which is legally and intellectually chalked up to paradox or anomaly.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
Peer Pressure is a form of political activity but it does not carry the weight of law. At worst case the offender will be shunned, not incarcerated, fined or otherwise punished by the state.

There is peer pressure to not steal from your neighbor, there is also a code of law that frowns on such activity.

In the case of the sticker i see no need for a law.

I would simply recognize the speaker for what they are.

gipper

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »
We agree and basically see eye to eye.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2007, 04:49:29 PM »
Peer Pressure is a form of political activity but it does not carry the weight of law. At worst case the offender will be shunned, not incarcerated, fined or otherwise punished by the state.  There is peer pressure to not steal from your neighbor, there is also a code of law that frowns on such activity.  In the case of the sticker i see no need for a law.  I would simply recognize the speaker for what they are.

Again, Bt with the excellent summation
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle