Author Topic: Minn. Man's Vanity Plates Need Makeover  (Read 1763 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Minn. Man's Vanity Plates Need Makeover
« on: October 12, 2006, 09:52:53 AM »
Oct 11, 11:24 PM (ET)

ALBERT LEA, Minn. (AP) - The vanity plates of Freeborn County Administrator Ron Gabrielsen are going to get a makeover. Gabrielsen said he received a letter Friday from Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services notifying him that he must change the plates on his 1991 Mazda Miata.

The plates read: FOAD1. Among some members of the military and computer users, FOAD stands for "(expletive deleted) off and die."

In September, the state asked Gabrielsen to explain the acronym. He said he told them it stands for "freedom offers America democracy."

People who have their vanity plates revoked are able to apply for another set of plates at no cost. The state gives plate-holders 10 business days from when the recall letter is received to submit a new order. If the state does not receive a response within 30 days, it issues a standard plate.

Gabrielsen said he'll request new vanity plates. He hasn't decided what they'll say. "I will put on my thinking cap and fill out the form," he said.

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

Re: Minn. Man's Vanity Plates Need Makeover
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 02:14:16 AM »
I can understand the theory, from the government's side, namely they are trying to prevent inappropriate sayings on license plates. But, this instrance seems a far stretch to me. Oh well...

dobberx

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »
Chip, chip, chip.

Can you hear the sound of our free speech rights being whittled away?

If an atheist complains about the word "god" on a license plate, should we ban that too?

What a bunch of nonsense.

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:06:49 PM »
Why, did you?