Author Topic: Myths and Realities of the George Bush Presidency  (Read 2272 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Myths and Realities of the George Bush Presidency
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:41:03 AM »
Myths and Realities of the George Bush Presidency

By Arnold Kling : 17 Jul 2007 

"conservatives are unhappy because the president allied himself with Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) over an immigration deal that leaned too far toward amnesty for illegal immigrants. They're unhappy because Bush has shown little interest in fiscal responsibility and limited government. And they're unhappy, above all, because he hasn't won the war in Iraq."
--Byron York
Near the end of his shows, humorist Mort Sahl used to ask, "Is there anyone I haven't offended yet?" These days, I find myself asking the same question about President Bush. Economic libertarians gripe about high government spending. The "base" was offended by his handling of the immigration issue. The left is offended by every step he takes and every move he makes.

As I listen to people discuss the Presidency of George Bush, I find myself hearing the same things over and over. He has been too ideological, too closed-minded, too partisan, and too incompetent, resulting in a disastrous Presidency. I am not sure that this analysis will survive a more sober, detached perspective. Later in this essay, I will spell out what I see as the myths embedded in the conventional wisdom.

George Bush and Me
I have never felt comfortable with George Bush. I voted for Al Gore--although I never felt comfortable with him, either. I felt even less comfortable with John Kerry, so that I voted for Bush in 2004.

Neoconservatism is not my ideology. As I pointed out four years ago, the economic ideology of neoconservatism is willing to accept a large and ever-growing government, whereas I am not. Neoconservatives are comfortable turning religious values into hot-button political causes, while I prefer to keep my conservative moral values in the background. Finally, neoconservatives are somewhat more grandiose and moralistic than I am on foreign policy.

I think that President Bush has got one thing very much right, which is that Arab-Islamic terrorism is a symptom that something is rotten in the Middle East. If anything, his failures in Iraq and Palestine are due to underestimating the degree of rot. For all the allegations of his lack of intellect, George Bush is a brainiac compared to people who want to see terrorism as a symptom of something rotten in the United States or Israel.

Myth 1: Bush lost in 2000
It is a myth that George Bush lost the election in 2000. He lost the popular vote, but that is not how elections are decided. Both George Bush and Al Gore based their electoral strategies on the rules in place at the time, which determines the winner on the basis of electoral votes. Saying after the fact that the Presidency should go to the winner of the popular vote is like saying that the 1964 World Series Championship belongs to the Yankees because they scored more total runs, although the Cardinals took four games out of seven.

It is a myth that George Bush stole the vote in Florida. Every recount has given the victory there to Bush. There is no doubt in my mind that the real villain of 2000 is Al Gore. His challenge of the electoral results was blatantly unfair (recall, he wanted to recount only in certain precincts where he hoped to gain votes) and served only to transform a close election into an illegitimate one. Instead of working to unite the country, Gore set an example of deep partisan bitterness that maximized the long-term damage of the 2000 election for American politics.

Myth 2: Bush economic policies were disastrous
It is a myth that the economy performed poorly under President Bush. In my view, Presidents have much less control than we think, President Bush's policies were mainstream given the economic conditions that he inherited, and the key economic indicator of productivity growth performed well.

Claims that ordinary workers fared poorly under President Bush are suspect. Data on the "distribution of income" are often abused by people making the claim that only the rich are getting ahead. Even the abusers, however, see the trends as pre-dating the Bush Administration. Moreover, I contend that the escalation of income is more meaningful than the distribution of income.

Myth 3: Bush was too right-wing
Another myth is that President Bush followed a partisan, right-wing agenda on education and entitlements. Instead, he attempted centrist reforms, and even on those he was often rebuffed.

On education, President Bush compromised in order to pass the No Child Left Behind act. In order to obtain Democratic support, he increased Federal spending. In order to claim a conservative victory, he established nationwide testing. In my view, this was lose-lose for believers in individual liberty and educational quality. As I wrote here, nationwide testing is a step backward, not a step forward.

On Social Security, President Bush took a very cautious approach to implementing personal retirement accounts. The Democrats refused to compromise, which means that we will have to bite our nails and hope that productivity growth is high enough to overcome the system's actuarial unsoundness.

On health care, President Bush added a prescription drug benefit to Medicare, hastening the pace at which the growth government spending on health care exceeds growth in the economy. The drug benefit's mechanical operation was the sort of managed competition beloved by Democratic wonks. However, the Democrats still gripe because the drug industry was left standing.

President Bush has made proposals to decrease the tax advantage of super-generous health care plans that are more likely to be enjoyed by the well-off and to offer tax cuts for individuals to obtain health insurance. These sensible, progressive proposals were shot down, because the Democrats want to make sure that nothing good happens on President Bush's watch.

Myth 4: Bush was too partisan
Another myth is that President Bush was relentlessly partisan and never willing to compromise. Instead, he caved in on a number of occasions when I wish that he hadn't. One occasion was the post-Enron panic, when he signed into law the ill-considered Sarbanes-Oxley Act. This redistributed income to CP-Yays, but harmed economic growth at least a little and perhaps a lot (my money is on "a lot").

Another occasion was his creation of the Department of Homeland Security. The notion that the way to improve big, clumsy bureaucracies is to combine them into a bigger, clumsier bureaucracy is an idea that would only occur to someone as out of touch with reality as a U.S. Congressman. Anyone else would know better.

Myth 5: Iraq reflects Bush's personality
Another myth is that the reason we remain in Iraq is that President Bush is personally stubborn. In fact, as Bruce Bueno de Mesquita points out, leaders of democracies always have a hard time extricating themselves from wars. A dictator can afford to lose a war, but a democratic leader will be very unpopular if a war has a negative or ambiguous outcome. Therefore, democratic leaders will tend to fight to the bitter end.

It is reasonable to argue that a different political leader would not have gotten us in to the war in Iraq. But once we were in, no politician in his right mind would have been willing to exit under conditions that fall short of victory. Even the Democrats are wary of being labeled as the party of defeat, and so they are reluctant to cut funding for the war.

The Era of Bitterness
I think that many people are tired of the bitterness and partisanship of the Bush era. My main point, however, is that people over-estimate the extent to which this bitterness and partisanship is due to George Bush himself. My prediction is that we will see further bitterness in the years ahead, as the sore losers of 2000 and 2004 become the sore winners of 2008. In 2012, there will still be Islamic terrorism, millions of Americans will lack health insurance and America's health care bill will still be unusually high, the rich will still be getting richer (unless the economy tanks), and the trend will be for more people to join the Long Tail that identifies with neither political party. Which is why both parties are becoming more shrill every year.

Links

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Myths and Realities of the George Bush Presidency
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:45:31 AM »
Delusional, revisionist claptrap.

In a fit of patriotic weakness, this guy is trying to make the main villain a little more likable. 

Bush is the most partisan president in my lifetime.  Just because his initiatives have names that people might like (Clear skies) doesn't mean that's what they are trying to do.  IN fact, as we have come to understand, if that is what the title is you can pretty much bet that the end goal is to give corporations more opportunity to dirty the skies.

Iraq is CLEARLY a personification of  Bush's steadfast dedication to what Kling specifically references when he talks about democratic leaders fighting to the end so they won't be unpopular.  He thinks that if we stay long enough, and enough of our people (and more of their people) dies, we'll "win" eventually.  He went into thinking that it was a cartoon.  His men invade Iraq, kick the shit out of Saddam, plant a flag and the people hang flowers everywhere and there'll be lots of picture of GI's on tanks with local girls kissing their cheeks.  Despite constant, ridiculously logical opinions from people who have spent their lives heading wars and in the military, Bush declined those opinions and then axed anyone who didn't shut the fuck up with the downer shit.  OVer and over again.  Everything that has happened, Bush and his cultist buddies were warned about and in fact, all the happy-ass bullshit that they were fed NEVER appeared or proved out unless they were outright staged as in the pulling down of the Saddam statue, the Jessica Lynch rescue or the Pat Tillman murder/accidental death cover up.

I could cover all the rest of this horse shit but I've got to get the kid cleaned and to school.

Rest assured this is just another asinine post in a line of asinine posts that continually one up each other in their utter asininity.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
Bush is the most partisan president in my lifetime.

You must be even younger than I thought you were.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Great post of current reality Bt.  Thanks for sharing it
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 04:04:31 PM »
Good article , I agree with a lot of it.

George Bush is painted as an extremist by people who can't define extremist.

gipper

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 04:19:16 PM »
I'll say it again: GW Bush will go down in history as a very poor president indeed for a variety of reasons swirling around the public consciousness. Aside from the economy -- which I can roundly attack on equity grounds but won't do so now -- Bush has boldly fumbled his way forward on so many fronts, from Katrina to Social Security to immigration reform and onwards. This leaves a dominant portrait of incompetence fueled by his own limited intellectual horizons and the very nut of his failings: a most enervating stubborness. These traits, of course, are both illustrated by and embodied in the disaster that is Iraq, and with the worsening situation with world terrorism, which compounds not lessens our problems going forward. I invite any of our stalwart conservative voices in here to honestly paint a different portrait of both a man in way over his head but too darn restricted to see that and too damn stubborn to change it even if he did.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 04:43:16 PM »
Gipper

You argue perception as fact.

Try negating each point of the article.

Was he elected in 2000? Yes or no?

Is he a poster child for conservatism? Yes or no?

Is he overtly partisan? Yes or no?

Is the Iraq War a reflection of his personality? Is he inflexible? Yes or no?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 04:48:34 PM »
I'll say it again: GW Bush will go down in history as a very poor president indeed for a variety of reasons swirling around the public consciousness. Aside from the economy -- which I can roundly attack on equity grounds but won't do so now -- Bush has boldly fumbled his way forward on so many fronts, from Katrina to Social Security to immigration reform and onwards. This leaves a dominant portrait of incompetence fueled by his own limited intellectual horizons and the very nut of his failings: a most enervating stubborness. These traits, of course, are both illustrated by and embodied in the disaster that is Iraq, and with the worsening situation with world terrorism, which compounds not lessens our problems going forward. I invite any of our stalwart conservative voices in here to honestly paint a different portrait of both a man in way over his head but too darn restricted to see that and too damn stubborn to change it even if he did.

Each of the points you make here are refuted in that article , what good does it do to proclaim him stubborn without provideing any supporting facts or arguments?

I perceive President Bush as a middle of the road politician who has often been found eager to compromise , wasn't his desasterous decision reguarding stem cells an attempt to split the diffrence? Was he really hard to get along with when he met Senator Kennedy half way on the "no Child Left Behind "act?

I do not agree with any of your assessment at all, it seems to be your opinion not a collection of proofs.

gipper

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 05:14:30 PM »
The proof is the news, the common knowledge of his presidency.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »
The proof is the news, the common knowledge of his presidency.

I see your common knoledge and raise you two facts.

Govenor Bush got along fine with the Democraticly controlled Statehouse in Texas and built a reputation as a man willing to go along to get along.

President Bush has one of the least used Veto pens in American History.

gipper

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 05:50:20 PM »
Those are trivial points. As for bipartisanship in Texas, my understanding is that, more, say, than the Northeast of Far West, the Democratic Party in that state leans more conservative than most, even a genuine firebrand like Ann Richards; if that weren't true, they wouldn't get elected. Also, the particulars of the political situation prevailing in Texas could have a lot to say about the cooperation they were able to forge. But here's the fact: he certainly did not want to and did not actually pursue that strategy from his position in national office. You can incorrectly that -- as an anticipatory matter -- he didn't, say, trust them, but that's just making excuses. Initial overtures were not followed by the form of statesmanship that is needed for that enterprise. And we simply can't take the Texas practices as establishing a norm, nor can we assume the Texas circumstances prevailed at the national level. So, I disagree with you. Further, President Bush has used his veto pen sparingly because he had no need to use it with a Republican Congress lobbing him softballs through 2006. And what are you seeing now? A dramatic rise in veto talk and veto threats, which would result in actual vetoes if the Congress could get any legislation passed.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
Initial overtures were not followed by the form of statesmanship that is needed for that enterprise. And we simply can't take the Texas practices as establishing a norm, nor can we assume the Texas circumstances prevailed at the national level.

The NCLB ACT was a Kennedy Bush iniative.

Same with the Immigration Bill

Same with the Medicare drug Plan.

Kennedy is not a Republican.

Homeland Security was a Lieberman Iniiative. Bush was a late adopter.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 02:24:17 AM »
But here's the fact: he certainly did not want to and did not actually pursue that strategy from his position in national office.

Shure he did , he reached out to compromise with Dashell almost constantly.

It was decided by leading Democrats that it would be a better policy to persue obstructionism .

President Bush may want to Tango but where is his partner?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »
his failures in Iraq and Palestine are due to underestimating the degree of rot

Well he got the failure part right.

He lost the popular vote, but that is not how elections are decided.

That's true.

Claims that ordinary workers fared poorly under President Bush are suspect.

Not really. The data for wage for wage growth is there and it is rather paltry. The economy has really been mixed under Bush, but I tend to agree that W has had little to do with it. We've ridden the housing boom pretty hard.

On education, President Bush compromised in order to pass the No Child Left Behind act.

And it was a truly crap act all the way around.

On health care, President Bush added a prescription drug benefit to Medicare

Yes, the largest entitlement program since LBJ and given to the wealthiest subgroup of Americans. Nice!

Another occasion was his creation of the Department of Homeland Security. The notion that the way to improve big, clumsy bureaucracies is to combine them into a bigger, clumsier bureaucracy is an idea that would only occur to someone as out of touch with reality as a U.S. Congressman. Anyone else would know better.

"Anyone else would know better." And here is the problem. Where does the buck stop? As is typical with this administration and this article is no exception, it never stops with the President. It is nearly always someone else's fault. As I recall, voting for Homeland Security became a litmus test of one's patriotism in the 2004 election - just ask Saxby Chambliss and a host of others who considered it a defining moment in the nation's history.

Bush said of the Senators who opposed the Homeland Securities Act 2002 (there were nine in the end) that they were "not interested in the security of the American people."

I'm sorry, I don't buy this bipartisan lovefest version of Bush and the "late adopter" he may have been, but he took it and ran!

My main point, however, is that people over-estimate the extent to which this bitterness and partisanship is due to George Bush himself.

On that I can probably agree. I think that responsibility falls to the American people. But, it will only get more bitter and more partisan. Ironically, the reason for this is due to the fact that the parties have become less and less different from one another. This is primarily due to President Clinton and also the religious right.

As Clinton moved Democrats further away from the traditional working class and organized labor voters towards the middle class, the religious right began to pick up a lot of voters that were once strongly Democrat (West Virginia is a good example). When you have two major parties and they aren't separated very much on economic issues, that only leaves social issues and personalities.

With television and the Internet being what they are, personalities become the major driving force. We have major campaigns on the front and protective campaigns at the rearguard, all the while shadow campaigns are run with pure, no-holds barred venom right alongside. It becomes purely personal.

John Kerry didn't really earn his medals. He murdered a Vietnamese child in the back, in cold blood. George W. Bush snorted cocaine, screwed hookers and neglected his daughters for most of his life. Dennis Kucinich is a homosexual. Rudy Giuliani had orgies at the mayoral home in New York City.

The truth becomes more and more irrelevant. People who care to discern the issues and vote with a conscience and mind become outnumbered by those who pass around wretched emails and disfigured lies. Voting becomes an exercise in hoping that your side garners enough of the frightened, gullible, or downright stupid voters to defeat the same on the opposing side of the aisle.

That's my uplifting thoughts for the day ;)
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »
On that I can probably agree. I think that responsibility falls to the American people. But, it will only get more bitter and more partisan. Ironically, the reason for this is due to the fact that the parties have become less and less different from one another. This is primarily due to President Clinton and also the religious right.

I think it has more to do with you and me than it does Clinton or the Religious right.

I think free will comes into play in the equation. And with that free will comes responsibility.

I think reasonable people gave power to the flame throwers and partisan dividers and i think reasonable people can take it away.

We don't have to participate in that manner, even though there is a delicious guilty satisfaction sometimes in doing so.  The real question is whether an issue should rise or fall on its own merits without partisan rancor and if so is that a goal we should seek.

We can't control everyone but we should be able to control ourselves. And movements start with one person at a time.

I'll make an extra effort. What say you?

Meanwhile:
On health care, President Bush added a prescription drug benefit to Medicare

Yes, the largest entitlement program since LBJ and given to the wealthiest subgroup of Americans. Nice!

The same people who are eligible for the drug benefit are those eligible for the medical care. And those folks were sold as cat food eating grandma's.

The goal of universal healthcare means everyone gets health care, correct?
Not just democrats, not just old folks, not just black folk, but everyone, rich or poor , black or white, young and old.

Seems to me our medical system is as convoluted as our tax system.

Both need to be overhauled. Flattened and equalized. And maybe that is a way to get it done.