Author Topic: Myths and Realities of the George Bush Presidency  (Read 2266 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Myths and Realities of the George Bush Presidency
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »
On that I can probably agree. I think that responsibility falls to the American people. But, it will only get more bitter and more partisan. Ironically, the reason for this is due to the fact that the parties have become less and less different from one another. This is primarily due to President Clinton and also the religious right.

I think it has more to do with you and me than it does Clinton or the Religious right.

I think free will comes into play in the equation. And with that free will comes responsibility.

I think reasonable people gave power to the flame throwers and partisan dividers and i think reasonable people can take it away.

We don't have to participate in that manner, even though there is a delicious guilty satisfaction sometimes in doing so.  The real question is whether an issue should rise or fall on its own merits without partisan rancor and if so is that a goal we should seek.

We can't control everyone but we should be able to control ourselves. And movements start with one person at a time.

I'll make an extra effort. What say you?

I think that is a fair view. I do need to make an extra effort and you're right that it is a guilty pleasure. Everyone enjoys Schadenfreude when they get a chance.

Another part of this equation is the very environment in which debates take place. Many issues and topics are subjugated to very narrow contexts.

For example, let's look at banning the smoking of tobacco products in restaurants and shops. Almost immediately this is viewed as an issue in the context of liberalism, correct? (Note, I'm using the word "liberal" in the standard usage, not the American political usage).

In other words, almost immediately it becomes an issue of individual rights.

Why? Is it even an issue that concerns individual liberty?

Many issues have been reduced to fit a very simplistic view of the world, often presenting a false dichotomy. I think this has led many people into making the hypocritical pretzels that are often found in politics. They have to support their team. Often that leaves them with no political philosophical foundation.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »

Another occasion was his creation of the Department of Homeland Security. The notion that the way to improve big, clumsy bureaucracies is to combine them into a bigger, clumsier bureaucracy is an idea that would only occur to someone as out of touch with reality as a U.S. Congressman. Anyone else would know better.

"Anyone else would know better." And here is the problem. Where does the buck stop? As is typical with this administration and this article is no exception, it never stops with the President. It is nearly always someone else's fault. As I recall, voting for Homeland Security became a litmus test of one's patriotism in the 2004 election - just ask Saxby Chambliss and a host of others who considered it a defining moment in the nation's history.

Bush said of the Senators who opposed the Homeland Securities Act 2002 (there were nine in the end) that they were "not interested in the security of the American people."

I'm sorry, I don't buy this bipartisan lovefest version of Bush and the "late adopter" he may have been, but he took it and ran!

So it is not resolved that President Bush is more stubborn (resolute) than an advradge president?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »
So it is not resolved that President Bush is more stubborn (resolute) than an advradge president?

Not sure what you are asking.

Interesting mix of words though, 'stubborn' and 'resolute.'
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 05:02:15 PM »

Not sure what you are asking.

Interesting mix of words though, 'stubborn' and 'resolute.'

Pick your favoriate , they are synonyms with connotation diffrence.

Gipper stated that the President is more than usually stubborn , but you point out that he has turned 180 a coupple of times .

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 05:15:13 PM »
Pick your favoriate , they are synonyms with connotation diffrence.

Not necessarily. 'Stubborn' has several meanings, only one of which is a synonym of 'resolute.' Not many people talk about resolute mules.

Gipper stated that the President is more than usually stubborn , but you point out that he has turned 180 a coupple of times .

Politics.

That misses the entire point of the discussion on Homeland Security though. Look at the last statement of the author (with whom many of the right wing folks here quickly agreed) on that subject: "Anyone else would know better." Now look up the definition of anyone. Yet, he turns around and somehow does not apply that to Bush.

Odd that.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 05:36:19 PM »
Odd that.

Not really.

One of the things i have learned since i have been in office is you need to learn how to count votes. And part of that vote counting is knowing when you aren't going to get your way. And once you have accepted that, your support comes in exchange for modifications to the prevailing program that brings it closer to your reality.

They don't call politicians horse traders for nothing. That is the reality of politics . give some get some.