Author Topic: The Death of Iraq's Christians  (Read 4343 times)

Richpo64

The Death of Iraq's Christians
« on: July 20, 2007, 04:13:48 PM »
The Death of Iraq's Christians
By Doug Bandow
FrontPageMagazine.com | July 20, 2007

Christian America may soon be the death of Iraqi Christians. Although Islam long has been in the ascendancy in Iraq, the so-called Assyrians, who speak a neo-Aramaic language, predate the rise of Islam. Today, however, the Iraqi Christian community faces possible extermination.

The irony is extraordinary: America, a nation with deep Christian roots, has inadvertently loosed the vicious forces bent on destroying Iraqi Christians.  Persecuted by Islamic extremists and targeted for their frequent cooperation with occupation authorities, Christians have ever less hope in a nation that has fallen into violent chaos.

The Assyrian International News Agency has released a new report titled, "Incipient Genocide: The Ethnic Cleansing of the Assyrians of Iraq," written by Peter BetBasoo. It makes for dreadful reading.

Since the American invasion, several hundred Assyrians have been murdered.  Even more have been kidnapped.  Dozens of churches have been bombed or otherwise attacked.

Hundreds of Christian businesses have been torched because of the faith of their owners, wrecked for being non-Islamic (such as liquor stores) or ruined by criminal attacks and kidnappings. Christian women are being threatened and attacked for failing to follow Islamic law.

As sectarian violence has risen and the insurgency has surged, Christians have been targeted for retaliation.  They long were despised by jihadists for their faith.

Then many Christians, who disproportionately spoke English, signed up to serve the U.S. military and occupation authorities.  For them, the U.S. connection is a potential death sentence.

Yet Washington has done essentially nothing.  In hopes of demonstrating impartiality, Washington has refused to help Christians, even when they have been literally placed under siege in their homes and neighborhoods.

Iraqi Christians have responded in the only way possible: running away.  Roughly half of the pre-war Christian community, possibly 750,000 people, is thought to have fled Iraq.

That Iraqi Christians have fared poorly in the midst of Muslim radicalism, whether Shia or Sunni, comes as no surprise.Christians possess no military forces, no militias organized for their defense.  Nor are their enclaves large enough to offer protection.

Less expected was Kurdistan's mistreatment of the Assyrians. Indeed, writes BetBasoo, the "systematic campaign of persecution ... began in the Kurdish regions of north Iraq shortly after the first Gulf war and spread to Baghdad and Basra after the liberation of Iraq in April of 2003.  In the last three months it has intensified and is now openly declared in some areas of Iraq."

Unfortunately, there is little hope that the violence will abate.  To the contrary, contends BetBasoo, "since Assyrians are not capable of defending themselves and are targeted as a class because of their distinct identity, what is now unfolding in Iraq can be termed an incipient genocide."

Using the term is inherently controversial, but Christianity is disappearing from Iraq.  A distinct ethnic, language, and religious community is being driven out.

Although the violence appears to be more anarchic than concerted, it has had the same effect as an organized campaign to destroy Iraq's Assyrians.  Virtually every member of the community is under siege.

Today there is no safety even in Christian neighborhoods, since Islamist forces can invade them with impunity.  Whatever the virtues of the so-called surge, safeguarding Christians is not among them.

BetBasoo reports that in early March "al-Qaeda moved into Dora, a predominantly Assyrian neighborhood in south Baghdad, and began imposing strict Islamic law."  The only alternatives offered were death or flight?or delivering a daughter or sister to the mosque for marriage to a local Muslim man.  Families who did leave were charged an "exit fee."

Threatened Christians appealed to both the Iraqi government and U.S. military, without result.  "Nobody really cares," one of them despaired in an email to the Assyrian International News Service.

Unfortunately, the worse the situation in Iraq, the less hope there is to save Iraqi Christians.  The Assyrian community has called for creation of a protected enclave, though its survival after a future U.S. military withdrawal is doubtful.

Certainly the United States should welcome Christians fleeing the violence.  Muslim refugees may have some hope of returning to a future Iraq that becomes stable if not liberal.  The Assyrians are far less likely to find a tolerant and tolerable environment.

America and other coalition members should open their doors.These are, after all, people who favor the United States, have been endangered because of American policy, and have nowhere else to go.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Death of Iraq's Christians
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 04:35:19 PM »
So Islam does nothing to protect the innocent Christians?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »
America, a nation with deep Christian roots

Indeed, the Church in Iraq (primarily Chaldean Catholic) has existed for about 1,750 years longer than the Christian roots of America. There have been priests attacked, captured, and beheaded, while followers have been murdered. There are some good things being done by the Chaldean Church in Iraq, for those who are interested in helping.

So Islam does nothing to protect the innocent Christians?

It isn't all of Islam that is failing to protect the Christians in Iraq, but the Iraqi Government and the U.S. military. I think you knew that already. Interestingly, Saddam Hussein allowed rather free practice of Christianity by the Chaldean (or Assyrian as it is called in the article) community.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »
Assyrians were emigrating in large numbers since after the First Gulf War.   There have been large Assyrian communities in Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey and Greece for almost two decades, plus an Assyrian diaspora in Scandinavia, Australia, Germany and North America for almost as long.  (The Assyrian community in California is even older, going back to at least the 1920s and is the subject of a William Saroyan short story, "70,000 Assyrians.")

This article fails to demonstrate that the Christians have it any worse than either the Shi'a or the Sunni in intercommunal violence.  Some of the attacks on "un-Islamic" businesses like liquor stores are predictable.  Others are similar in every respect to attacks on Sunni, Shi'a, Kurds, Arabs, Turkmen or Yazidi.    Iraq in the wake of Bush's invasion is a hell on earth.  That some of the victims are Christians does not make it any worse than it would otherwise be.

This kind of shit did not go on under Saddam, whose foreign minister, Tariq Aziz, was and is a Christian.  But there was a kind of glass ceiling and most of the Assyrians/Church of the East knew their opportunities were severely limited and they lived under a constant cloud of official suspicion and surveillance.  Like many other Iraqis, they often woke up mornings to find one of their family "missing."

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 12:24:26 PM »

America and other coalition members should open their doors.These are, after all, people who favor the United States, have been endangered because of American policy, and have nowhere else to go.

I wonder what the folks who think immigration should be difficult and/or want closed borders think about that idea. Mr. Bandow is, as best I can tell, in favor of open borders. So I see no conflict of interest for him. But I wonder what folks who complain about how we ought to severely restrict immigration think of his idea of accepting Assyrians into the country.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 11:43:37 AM »
I wonder what the folks who think immigration should be difficult and/or want closed borders think about that idea. Mr. Bandow is, as best I can tell, in favor of open borders. So I see no conflict of interest for him. But I wonder what folks who complain about how we ought to severely restrict immigration think of his idea of accepting Assyrians into the country.

Very good point Prince.

If I had to guess at a response (though notably your question received none) I'm guessing you'd get a separation in definitions of "refugee" from "illegal immigrant."

The problem is that I rather doubt these Christians want a new country to call home. Their Christian tradition extends to apostolic times (or very close). It is really rather tragic. Then again, the Christians in Israel have a tradition that extends to apostolic times as well, but they are treated only slightly better and I've not seen many calls from this country for human rights to be extended there.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:24:53 PM »
<<If I had to guess at a response (though notably your question received none) I'm guessing you'd get a separation in definitions of "refugee" from "illegal immigrant.">>

I'll bet if you examined the cases of Assyrians who arrived in Canada during the time of Saddam Hussein, maybe a fifth to a third of them came in as illegals.  Due to the chaos of Iraq's wars with Iran and Kuwait, many of them took advantage to escape military service and certain death to flee the country, leaving relatives behind under a cloud of suspicion and prejudice.   But to the credit of our Canadian government, almost all of the illegals were granted refugee status and permanent residence, which leads to citizenship, if applied for, after (I think) five years' residence. 

People whose lives are in danger don't give a shit whose border they cross and whether the crossing is legal or illegal.  They just want to live and a decent country like ours now recognizes that fact (it didn't always) and lets them live.

<<The problem is that I rather doubt these Christians want a new country to call home. >>

The ones I know all want a new country to call home and they're very happy with this one.  And their relatives are very happy with Sweden and Australia.

<<Then again, the Christians in Israel have a tradition that extends to apostolic times as well, but they are treated only slightly better  . . . >>

I've never heard any complaints.  Most of them hate Arabs and Muslims.  They'd be a perfect fit with the Likudniks and other Zionist extremists in Israel.

<<I've not seen many calls from this country for human rights to be extended there.>>

Ain't gonna happen, JS.  Not as long as AIPAC bankrolls both sides of the "two-party" political system.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 01:33:19 PM »

If I had to guess at a response (though notably your question received none) I'm guessing you'd get a separation in definitions of "refugee" from "illegal immigrant."

I was thinking that would be the basic response, but apparently I was wrong. The response is no response at all. That is disappointing. Not that I'm eager to get back into an immigration debate, because I'm not, but I had hoped to see what the closed borders folks had to say about the idea.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
Who here is for closed borders?

I thought the immigration debate was about how open the borders should be.

Your position is, unlessI am completely mistaken, is that an immigrant shouldn't even need to apply for access to the country. No need for passports, visas, green cards or permission of any kind. That sovereign nations are negating a basic human right by exercising control over who comes and goes across their borders.

The other side of the spectrum is what to do about the current disregard and lack of enforcement of immigration laws on the books.

The Assyrians are free to enter legally or illegally if they so choose. Each has its own requirements and consequences.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 05:38:24 PM »

Who here is for closed borders?

Pooh yi. Okay, I'll rephrase for those who were offended. I had hoped to see what the folks who want strict control of the borders had to say about the idea. Is that better?

Your position is, unlessI am completely mistaken, is that an immigrant shouldn't even need to apply for access to the country. No need for passports, visas, green cards or permission of any kind. That sovereign nations are negating a basic human right by exercising control over who comes and goes across their borders.

That is close, though I have said I am not opposed to something like checkpoints to look for known criminals and that sort of thing. I don't say there should be zero control. I just happen to think crossing national borders should not be much more difficult than crossing state borders is for Americans.

The other side of the spectrum is what to do about the current disregard and lack of enforcement of immigration laws on the books.

Is it? I thought the other side was strict control of immigration, possibly even closed borders, though people keep assuring me that no one favors closed borders. Lots of people complain about open borders but apparently no one wants closed borders. I guess they want slightly ajar borders.

The Assyrians are free to enter legally or illegally if they so choose. Each has its own requirements and consequences.

Free to enter illegally? Uh, right, sure. Anyway, that doesn't really answer the question. Bandow said "America and other coalition members should open their doors" to the Assyrian Christians. His case is basically that America has some responsibility for the situation they are in and should therefore welcome the Assyrians as refugees. Do you agree or disagree?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 07:02:17 PM »
Anyway, that doesn't really answer the question.

Actually it does. Or are you asserting Assyrians are better than our amigos form the south of the border strolling in looking for work.

I thought the other side was strict control of immigration, possibly even closed borders, though people keep assuring me that no one favors closed borders.

I,for one,  would be totally against closing the borders to legal immigrants. I am not a big fan of the catch and release programs currently in vogue. I think deportation should be calculated into the cost of doing business here in the States.

Same as jail time is for those who choose to peddle drugs, innocuous or not.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 11:39:46 PM »

Anyway, that doesn't really answer the question.

Actually it does. Or are you asserting Assyrians are better than our amigos form the south of the border strolling in looking for work.

No. I'm not asserting anything regarding the topic raised by the article. I'm asking the opinion of those folks who prefer strict control of the borders on Mr. Bandow's comments that America has a responsibility to open its doors to the Assyrian Christians. Saying the Assyrians are free to come here legally or illegally doesn't really address Mr. Bandow's point.

I,for one,  would be totally against closing the borders to legal immigrants.

That's a next to useless position. I can say exactly the same thing. I'm against closing the border to legal immigrants too. But you and I don't really hold the same position on this issue, do we?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 12:02:41 AM »
Strict controll of the borders wouldn't necessacerily endanger refugees , if our laws reguarding refugees were sensible.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 12:37:15 AM »
But you and I don't really hold the same position on this issue, do we?

No we disagree greatly on the rights of a nation to control its borders.

As far as Bandow, he like everyone else who has a cause celebre wants to make for exceptions to the rule.

We have provisions for political and religious refugees, and i would presume the Assyrians might qualify.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »

No we disagree greatly on the rights of a nation to control its borders.

I was thinking more in terms of you and I disagreeing on what should and should not qualify as legal immigration, but I suppose to you that amounts to the same thing.