Author Topic: She done read the book, at 4,244 words-per-minute  (Read 2127 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
She done read the book, at 4,244 words-per-minute
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:33:52 PM »
IN possibly a world record-breaking 4244 words-per-minute, six-time world speed reading champion ANNE JONES has read the final instalment of J.K. Rowling?s monumental, spellbinding epic series.

Taking just 47 minutes 1 second to read the 759-page book Anne delivers the first review of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows since it went on sale at midnight.

So is the seventh instalment worth the wait?

The final showdown between Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived, and his arch-enemy Lord Voldemort, He Who Must Not Be Named, is a classic good-versus-evil tale on a par with Tolkien?s Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

The book is very dark ? right from the start there is fighting. Characters start falling left, right and centre.

However, there are some lighter moments too.

There is a lot of background detail delving into Dumbledore?s murky past, with his family members playing a vital part in this finale.

And the Ministry is infiltrated by Voldemort's warriors ? bringing to mind Nazi Germany.

Final instalment ... what happens to Harry?

The actual confrontation with Voldemort will satisfy fans ? it is superb.

As the title suggests, Harry concerns himself with the ?Hallows,? which are three magical objects said to make the possessor the Master of Death.

There are many surprises, one of the biggest being Snape, who it would seem is working for Voldemort but then saves the day by giving Harry crucial information. But does he live or die as a consequence?

Harry's best friends Ron and Hermione prove to be formidable foes to Voldemort's army but is there any truth to internet rumours that one of them meets their demise at his hands?

The book, in parts, is frightening but when all is said and done, J.K. Rowling has left an ending fans will be very happy with.

The final chapter fast forwards 19 years to the future and is an epilogue of what happens to the main characters.

Without being too critical, the plot does seem to be a bit complicated ? but I would not change a word.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows is a real page-turner (literally).

"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: She done read the book, at 4,244 words-per-minute
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:40:34 PM »
Better to read Tolkien's Lord of the Rings where Power/Magic is to be feared as it can be all-consuming as opposed to Harry Potter et all where Power/Magic is to be secured and cherished at all costs.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
Why? It's all fiction, just as I consider pretty much most of the New Testament to be. Besides, didn't Jesus supposedly use magic to feed the multitudes, walk on water, raise the dead, et cetera?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:13:06 PM »
Nope, he used the power of the Holy Spirit.

Satan counterfeits much of what is FROM God in an attempt to BE God.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:17:41 PM »
Hahahahahaha...

All of which have about the same probability as Dumbledore or Frodo of actually existing.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 02:22:50 PM »
It all comes down to Faith, H, as you well know. It is not something that can be reasoned. Pray to Him; what ya got to lose?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »
Better men than you have tried that argument.

Pascal?s Wager
Pascal's Assumption: Metaphysical Ignorance

We?ve looked at a number of arguments that attempt to show the truth of belief in God. That is, we?ve looked at arguments that attempt to argue directly for the conclusion that God exists. A nice feature of such arguments is that if you accept their conclusion, you will have a reason to believe in God.

Pascal was skeptical that any such argument could be successful. He didn?t think one could give a good argument for the truth of religious belief. He assumes that there is no decisive evidence (there are no ?epistemic reasons?) for or against God?s existence. For this reason, Pascal begins from a position of ?metaphysical ignorance?.

But Pascal goes on from this assumption to argue that we still have strong pragmatic reasons to believe in God. That is, he attempts to show the practical utility of religious belief.

The Wager
Pascal's insight was to see the choice about whether to believe in God as a wager. He views the scenario as one where you are forced to make a certain choice between two options. You can either believe that God exists, or not. Since, as Pascal assumes, we are ignorant about the truth in this matter, we can only choose the best and safest bet. We have to weigh the possible consequences of each option, and choose accordingly. Pascal writes:

?You must wager. It is not optional. Which will you choose then? ?Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation that He is.? [Pascal's Pensees, section 233, translated by A.J. Krailsheimer]

There are two metaphysical possibities: Either God exists or he doesn?t. (Again, he's assuming complete ignorance about this question.) Similarly, I have two choices about what to believe. I can either believe that God exists or not. We can then represent Pascal's wager with the following "decision matrix":

To summarize:

(i) If I believe in God and he exists, then that?s infinitely good for me. (I get to go to heaven and have an infinitely good afterlife.)
(ii) If I believe in God and he doesn?t exist, then there?s no real loss. (As I glibly put the matter in class, I miss out on a bit of fun sinning, but I?ll get to go to some fun church pot-lucks, so it?s about an even bargain.)
(iii) If I don?t believe in God and he does exist, then that?s infinitely bad for me. (I end up in hell, suffering for all eternity.)
(iv) If I don?t believe in God and he doesn?t exist, then there?s no real loss. (Again glibly, I miss out on the pot-lucks, but I get to do the sinning, so again it probably comes out even.)

The point is that, given this range of possibilities:

Belief in God is clearly the best bet.
I won?t lose anything and I may gain infinitely happiness. Disbelief, on the other hand, is a fool?s wager. The best I can hope for is breaking even, and I may end up with infinite suffering.

Acquiring Belief in God
Pascal realizes that his argument will not convince anyone that God exists. (Pascal realizes that this argument won?t make believers out of atheists.)

Instead, he?s given reasons to think that it would be a ?good bet? to acquire belief in God
Pascal offers a number of practical recommendations about how to acquire belief in God. Essentially, he recommends that one start attending church and hanging out with believers. Eventually belief in God will follow.

Objection
Pascal?s reasoning is very ingenious. By putting questions of truth to one side, he manages to avoid many normal ways of objecting to an argument. (Notice, for example, that the Problem of Evil wouldn?t worry him at all.)

However, there is a standard line of objection that has been raised against Pascal. Most agree with his reasoning given the way that he lays out the possibilities. But philosophers have questioned this lay-out. The standard objection is that:

In laying out the ?decision matrix?, Pascal hasn?t really started from a position of metaphysical ignorance.

The Many Gods Objection

One way of pressing this objection is to point out the fact that there are a number of different religions out there. The choice of religious belief is not simply a choice between theism and atheism. We have to choose which religion to subscribe to. So, even if theism is the best bet, if I choose to be a Baptist and God turns out to be a Catholic, I might still end up out of luck.
The "Many Gods" objection can be pressed even further. If we are truly starting from a position of metaphysical ignorance, why should we assume that any of these religions has got it right? Perhaps God is a rather fickle character who actually punishes belief and rewards atheism. (As I put it in class, perhaps this God is like Blackburn who seems to think we should always proportion our belief to the evidence. Since this God hasn't provided us with sufficient evidence of his existence, he would actually want for us to not believe in him. He would thus reward atheists with an infinitely good afterlife, and punishes theists with an infinitely bad afterlife.)

Notice that this possibility would completely reverse the decision matrix. On this possibility, disbelief is the best bet.

The point is that if Pascal truly starts from a position of ignorance about what?s true and false about the heavenly realm, what reason does he have for dividing up the possibilities in the way that he does? And if he truly takes account of all the possibilities, there is no "safe bet". (Any way you choose to believe will leave you with a chance of infinite reward, but will also leave open the chance of infinite punishment.)

http://www.unc.edu/~theis/uncg/pascal.html

He didn't convince me either.

Besides, I've already been through attending church and hanging out with believers. In fact, I was a believer once, a deacon in the church, and considering going to seminary school to enter the ministry. Things change.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »
What's the deal with the question marks where there should be apostrophes? Sumpin' broke?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 02:56:04 PM »
Apparently 3DHS doesn't like special characters any more. Smart quotes and em dashes and letters with them furren accent thingies over them are all turned into question marks. Possibly it's some sort of satirical commentary about people not knowing how to use/read punctuation properly, but I think it's probably just a glitch in the code or something like that. You'd have to ask BT to be sure.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 02:59:37 PM »
I figgered it was sumpin' weird. It doesn't even do it all the time, though.

How you been lately?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 03:04:11 PM »
I've been well. I'm making myself get back to school and learn more graphic design skills. There are an awful lot of people trying to do graphic design work for money, and if I want to make an actual living at it, I need better skills than I have now. A whole lot better.

How you been, Bear?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
Hanging in there. Still delivering the drugs the nurses need to relieve their patients' pain and suffering, and put 'em to sleep so the nurses can relax a bit themselves. Some days you win, some days you lose, some days you get rained out. I think I'm ahead, though.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
So tell me, do you really think someone can read 4,244 words per minute?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 03:56:20 PM »
It wouldn't really surprise me. I used to read a lot, and could go through 1,200-1,500 words per minute at times, and I didn't consider that particularly fast. The trick is not so much how fast you can read it, but how much of it you can retain as you read it. I can go through a run of the mill thriller in a couple of hours. Books like, oh, The Hunt for Red October, or The Da Vinci Code, generally slow me down a bit, because I have to take time to digest the technical details or other information. Poorly written or edited books drive me crazy, with improper spelling or punctuation, or incorrect information (sloppy research) and so on, because they are distracting. I once read a thriller that had a great plot, but made the mistake of having a supertanker attempt to go through a monster storm in the Florida Straits at the height of hurricane season - in April. And this was by a bestselling author.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »
I've been well. I'm making myself get back to school and learn more graphic design skills. There are an awful lot of people trying to do graphic design work for money, and if I want to make an actual living at it, I need better skills than I have now. A whole lot better.

How you been, Bear?

Like using Flash, Fireworks, Authorware and the like?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D