Author Topic: Racism in 2007  (Read 9770 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Racism in 2007
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 02:44:17 AM »
<<Idaho is pretty far from the "racist southeast." Last time I checked, it was right next to (and shared a border with) Canada.

<<Or do you think that the state government of Idaho is deliberately importing racists from the southeast?>>

But . . . but . . .  But I don't understand.  The game was broadcast on "national TV" - - does this mean that national TV broadcasts originating in Idaho are being blocked by all the other 49 states?  But why?  What did Idaho do?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 05:05:07 AM »
This is on topic...

Black Youth Facing 22 Years for Schoolyard Fight

July 26, 2007 1:53 PM

JR Santo Reports:

Blackyouthfac_mn_2 The FBI, Justice Department, and the U.S. attorney's office are set to meet in Jena, La., today to discuss possible civil rights violations revolving around a racially-charged schoolyard beating.

The case involves the assault of a white student, Justin Barker, at Jena High School by six black schoolmates. Mychal Bell, the first of the six students to be tried in court, was convicted of aggravated second-degree battery and faces up to 22 years and six months in prison. The remaining five students have not yet faced trial.

Critics have called the charges outrageous, citing the facts that Barker only received minor injuries and was released from the hospital that same day so he could attend a school ceremony. Civil rights leaders say the black defendants, now known as the "Jena 6," have received unequal treatment compared to white defendants charged with similar crimes.

"Justice in La Salle Parish is not meted out equally," said Tory Pegram, development and public education associate for the Louisiana chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The attack on Barker was the latest incident in a series of conflicts between white and black students sparked when black students found three hangman's nooses dangling from a tree on school property. Robert Bailey, one of the Jena 6, was assaulted at a local party by white students using bottles and fists. Those who assaulted Bailey were only charged with simple battery by the district attorney in La Salle Parish, the district in which Jena lies.

Bell's attorney, Louis Scott, said, "Actions by black students were treated more harshly than actions by white students."

Unable to post the $90,000 bond, Bell has remained in prison since his arrest. His attorney has delayed sentencing from the scheduled July 31 court date until September 20 to exercise all available legal options.

The Justice Department would not comment on the meeting because it is part of "ongoing casework." The district attorney could not be reached for comment.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/07/black-youth-fac.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 07:30:18 AM »
when it was a predominantly African America audience, when the topic came up of mixed marriages, it became dowright hostile, any time the notion of a black man was to marry or was simply seeing a white female

i saw a show once where a black speaker said basically the following:
do the math
if you mix 12% black with 80% white
which race over time gets "watered down" to the point of non-existence?
if you keep mixing 12% black with 80% white, after a certain time there is no more black
sure the white isn't as white, but at 80% vs 12%, the white is going to outlast and be much more preserved
don't believe it? try the same experiment with paint.....keep mixing 80% white and 12% black and see what you end up with
we want to preserve our heritage as african americans, our culture, our history, and most of all our color
this is the surest way to virtually eliminate and marginalize us
whites shouldn't fear this because they'll win this numbers game,
sure there are more blacks in the world, but i am talking african american hertiage, african american culture, which is unique
african americans should be the most concerned about losing their identity

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 12:18:54 PM »
I'm waiting for Ami to explain to us that Louisiana is really a part of Idaho.

<<The attack on Barker was the latest incident in a series of conflicts between white and black students sparked when black students found three hangman's nooses dangling from a tree on school property. Robert Bailey, one of the Jena 6, was assaulted at a local party by white students using bottles and fists. Those who assaulted Bailey were only charged with simple battery by the district attorney in La Salle Parish, the district in which Jena lies.>>

I'm waiting for BT to explain to the La Salle Parish D.A. that he can't really represent the good people of the  Parish any more because they're Southerners and therefore can't be racists. 

Maybe the D.A. just got off the bus from Idaho.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 12:19:33 PM »

education counter to black culture?

I have heard it said that many African-Americans have a notion that doing well in school is a "white" thing. Which I confess I do not understand. I don't know how such a notion could have some to be, or why it would persist.

Yes, this is what I have heard as well. They are afraid it will turn them into an "oreo".
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »
I'm waiting for Ami to explain to us that Louisiana is really a part of Idaho.

<<The attack on Barker was the latest incident in a series of conflicts between white and black students sparked when black students found three hangman's nooses dangling from a tree on school property. Robert Bailey, one of the Jena 6, was assaulted at a local party by white students using bottles and fists. Those who assaulted Bailey were only charged with simple battery by the district attorney in La Salle Parish, the district in which Jena lies.>>

I'm waiting for BT to explain to the La Salle Parish D.A. that he can't really represent the good people of the  Parish any more because they're Southerners and therefore can't be racists. 

Maybe the D.A. just got off the bus from Idaho.

Or maybe one incident has nothing to do with the other.

Sure there are racially motivated incidents in the South. Never said there weren't. What i object to is Mikey's blanket indictments of a region based on the actions of a few.

There was a shooting in Atlanta last year by the police. Some activists tried to make it a racial issue because the victim was Black. Except the shooters were black, the police chief is black and the administration is black. What it really was was a no knock warrant gone bad, but it was portrayed as latent institutional racist memory at work.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »
in my job quite afew black security guards are married outside of their race.  the subject always comes up why.  I`m scared to bring it up here,but the consistent answer I always get is.  I`m tired of being called a loser is why I don`t marry a black woman....but it is a factor on the anger toward blackmen marrying outside of their race.
am I in trouble??

Well, I'll tell ya Kimba, despite Tee's continued lame efforts at making this a sole southern thing, those audience I was referring too, if any of the black men in there had raised such a point, there would have been a riot.  That's how angry those women were when confronted with a black man marrying a white woman
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 01:24:57 PM »
Something to do with "stealing good black men" away from black women appeared to be the (ir)rationale.  I couldn't point out the reason, but the hostility was definately enough to have facilitated death threats.

That is possible, but I frankly have doubts that such would be the cause of death threats.

I never claimed it a "cause", simply referencing the vitriolic anger regarding a black male marrying or even dating a white woman, coming from those in the audience I saw & heard, that in my opinion, could have easily transitioned to death threats
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »
<<Sure there are racially motivated incidents in the South. Never said there weren't. What i object to is Mikey's blanket indictments of a region based on the actions of a few.>>

Yeah, just "a few."  Last time I looked, a D.A. who won an election - - even in Louisiana - - needed more than just "a few" votes to get in.  If he was appointed rather than elected, the Governor or whoever appoints him, presumably an elected official, is actutely sensitive to the majority voters.  Doesn't want to rub them the wrong way and usually is pretty good at knowing what rubs them the right way and what rubs them the wrong way.  I conclude that the appointment or election of an overtly racist D.A. means there is a lot of popular support for his (the D.A.'s) position.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 08:00:13 PM »
Yeah, just "a few."  Last time I looked, a D.A. who won an election - - even in Louisiana - - needed more than just "a few" votes to get in.  If he was appointed rather than elected, the Governor or whoever appoints him, presumably an elected official, is acutely sensitive to the majority voters.

That would apply nationwide.

I conclude that the appointment or election of an overtly racist D.A. means there is a lot of popular support for his (the D.A.'s) position.

And what proof do you have that the DA is overtly racist?

You ever think the white boys plead out to a lesser offense? That's kinda one of the things lawyers do when advising clients.

yellow_crane

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 08:57:52 PM »
Well, I'm sure none of those threats are coming from the South, because there are no racists there any more.

Idaho is pretty far from the "racist southeast." Last time I checked, it was right next to (and shared a border with) Canada.

Or do you think that the state government of Idaho is deliberately importing racists from the southeast?

When retired LA cops tell other LA cops to come up and retire in Idaho because it is 'coon-free', is that deliberate?

I would say that the retired cops and federal agents from all over the country are well aware that the state of Idaho is where retired cops go, that the populace if not the official government does welcomes them, and that it is a population well-known for being White.  They see themselves as self-segregated, and will peacock pride.

While racism is odious by any standard, when those who choose to create and maintain a bastion for themselves that is defined by its segregation, the standard is dwarfed and it becomes even more odious.

I understand that there is no particular breech of the law here--no one can prove that Blacks cannot secure land there.  What I am saying is that nobody much is fooled by that canard, and that the intimidation factor is recognized by anyone not haltered by political agenda patronage.  That too makes it even more odious.

To address the problem of racism in America, one must address the problem that exists, and not the buck-passing, logic-looping product that becomes a bleached ennuch of a thing after a throrough legal disassembling.

Racism defined in legal terms pins the donkey on the tail, and clap, clap, next?  But the law is neutral here, even if it is being used, and the nature of law is that is be used.  The law can be made to work otherwise, which was given a similar birth during the civil rights era.  Note that, before that, the laws defined a different situation, even if by lack-of-law application, using laws to sabotage laws.

One can talk about the racism in the South, comfortable in knowing that any discussion, let alone possible resolution, will be stopped at the border of the South by the word itself--they know you just can't address the South and blame it all on 'them,' blame it as an entity.  Everybody knows that nobody can claim all the South is responsible, and therefore nobody can make them accept responsibility.  My own interjection here is that, after having witnessed my whole life this defiance displayed by the South, I conclude it resembles more a long-sustained, unchallenged adolescent pout than anything which claims to be of a higher nature.

My solution would be to address a unity which I would identify as the "Dixie South."
I think that what immediately comes to most folks' minds hearing this phrasing sees racism as the defining component of that 'Dixie South', and that it can be employed effectively and legally to define that population which is indeed racist.  By way of effectively busting up the Dixie South like we busted up the Mafia, for instance, people sporting the 'confederate flag' could be Rico-ized.

A whole coda of law could then be written which would contain by name that entity, using 'dixie south' much like the identifying threads of civil rights statutes are written, under the collective notation of 'civil rights' legislation.

Tangentially, it would provide a contribution to a sorely-needed spiritual over-haul for America's legal system, now lying bleeding at the feet of A. Gonzales, et al.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 09:24:40 PM »
Will we also have a legal description of the folks in the north epitomized by Boston Southies?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
If this isn't a crock, I don't know what is.

When retired LA cops tell other LA cops to come up and retire in Idaho because it is 'coon-free', is that deliberate?
Ok, so a few folks use terrible terminology. Doesn't mean ALL ofthem meant this. You are judging ALL LA cops by the actions of the few. Poor intellectual reasoning.

I would say that the retired cops and federal agents from all over the country are well aware that the state of Idaho is where retired cops go, that the populace if not the official government does welcomes them, and that it is a population well-known for being White.  They see themselves as self-segregated, and will peacock pride.
Again, blanket irrational statements. Where's your data?

While racism is odious by any standard, when those who choose to create and maintain a bastion for themselves that is defined by its segregation, the standard is dwarfed and it becomes even more odious.
Hmm, let's say I wanted to segregate myself by only being with others who have the same professions I do, as in many Defense towns or even bastions in Hollywood where every home is owned by an actor. Doesn't make it racist. I bet if you analyzed many subdivisions in the country, you would find a remarkable amount of similarities in the residents. For example, in a subdivision of homes in the 150-250K range, I bet you would find in many cases that those home perhapses were concentrated in a select group of occupations. Doesn't make it racist.
I understand that there is no particular breech of the law here--no one can prove that Blacks cannot secure land there.  What I am saying is that nobody much is fooled by that canard, and that the intimidation factor is recognized by anyone not haltered by political agenda patronage.  That too makes it even more odious.
What kind of statement is this? Emotional irrationality
To address the problem of racism in America, one must address the problem that exists, and not the buck-passing, logic-looping product that becomes a bleached eunuch of a thing after a thorough legal disassembling.
What kind of statement is this? Emotional irrationality.

Racism defined in legal terms pins the donkey on the tail, and clap, clap, next?  But the law is neutral here, even if it is being used, and the nature of law is that is be used.  The law can be made to work otherwise, which was given a similar birth during the civil rights era.  Note that, before that, the laws defined a different situation, even if by lack-of-law application, using laws to sabotage laws.
What kind of statement is this? Stupid analogy. Clap, clap. Does this mean you have the clap?

One can talk about the racism in the South, comfortable in knowing that any discussion, let alone possible resolution, will be stopped at the border of the South by the word itself--they know you just can't address the South and blame it all on 'them,' blame it as an entity.  Everybody knows that nobody can claim all the South is responsible, and therefore nobody can make them accept responsibility.  My own interjection here is that, after having witnessed my whole life this defiance displayed by the South, I conclude it resembles more a nonexistent, unchallenged adolescent pout than anything which claims to be of a higher nature.
I lived in the Washington DC area for 25 years and racism was there, only in a different vein. Racism in many forms is prevalent everywhere. To label the South as especially bad in this regard is nonsensical. Where's your empirical data to substantiate this??

My solution would be to address a unity which I would identify as the "Dixie South."
I think that what immediately comes to most folks' minds hearing this phrasing sees racism as the defining component of that 'Dixie South', and that it can be employed effectively and legally to define that population which is indeed racist.  By way of effectively busting up the Dixie South like we busted up the Mafia, for instance, people sporting the 'confederate flag' could be Rico-ized.

There we go. The liberals using government and its onerous presence to tell people what flag to fly on their own property. If I wanted to fly a Homer Simpson flag or any other flag on my property, that is MY privilege. I do not own a Confederate flag, nor do any of my neighbors fly them. But if they did, then that is their business. Besides, displaying this flag does not, in my mind, connotate that the flier of that flag is promoting racism as you seem to suggest. Some people really do fly it to remember their southern heritage just as some of my friends fly the early Texas Republic flag in Texas to remember they were a Republic before being a state. So, by your way of thinking, Six Flags over Georgia, is racist if they fly the Confederate flag> Ludicrous. Assumptions...assumptions.

A whole coda of law could then be written which would contain by name that entity, using 'dixie south' much like the identifying threads of civil rights statutes are written, under the collective notation of 'civil rights' legislation.

Go ahead...let's get those mean old Southerners. We'll teach 'em, just like we did after the Civil War.! Oops, \upon reflection, perhaps I haven't gotten past that event, maybe I DO live i in the [past, you thin to yourself. <rightly so>

Tangentially, it would provide a contribution to a sorely-needed spiritual over-haul for America's legal system, now lying bleeding at the feet of A. Gonzales, et al.

What kind of statement is this? Emotional irrationality. And Edwin Meese , under a Democratic Administration, was better?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:57:16 AM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

yellow_crane

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 11:56:32 PM »
Will we also have a legal description of the folks in the north epitomized by Boston Southies?

Of course, that is the whole point, to identify where racism is and address it.

It is time to stop trying to pretend that racism cannot be identified. 

This would, as I have noted, need a paradigm shift in the regarding of racism as related to that under the lens of the law.  I do not care about the effect on such units as what the kkk ilk thinks or feels here, except that should they act out in their feelings and transgress the laws, they would be held legally responsible, commensurate in spirit to any other thuggish threat, but with a new and more appropriate zeal of enforcement.   

Gone would be legislation that obfuscated or trivialized the law so that racists have actually redirected, if not rewritten, laws that apply to racism.  Gone would be regional judges who, though not noted in the local press, were known for their winking.  News laws, conceived in a new dispensation of laws dealing with racism--as in, for comps sake, civil rights legislation, would be written with a less choking flexibility of both definition or enforcement.  Not just a law here or there, but a broad, meaningful new perspective from the new locus of the paradigm shift.

A paradigm shift, for instance, as that when America had a new president, FDR, who called in the top bankers to the white house and told them that, for the last fifty years, the banks controlled the federal government, and from now on the federal government would run the banks.  Paradigm shift in perspective.

I know all the fears of the universe descend on the individual racist when such a suggestion is made; I know they fear a new Ireland:  what I also know is that there would be a lot of unsmiling whites and smiling blacks.  That would indicate that it is working, and, beyond that litmus, it should be ignored.

I addressed the dixie south and law enforcement retirement idaho--two racist strongholds, but of course there are others.

My position is to ferret them out and prosecute them.

As in the point I addressed in the post, one could not properly identify all Boston as racist, and should not;  neither should racists who seek shelter under those whole-city, whole-state, whole anything ruses be permitted to continue.  Therefore, the Southies (your term) would be where all the action is, not all of Boston.

All law enforcement, and especially federal law enforcement, already knows how to direct investigations to the guilty.  Nothing new here.  And it is an extremely salient truth that it matters not at all which  if any law enforcement officers like what they would have to do.  They are used to this, too.  Like evicting poor people they knew were victims of slimy landlords, or swinging their clubs at working people who were on strike to better their lives under a tyrannical corporation.

With a new dispensation to end racism, of course there is going to be reaction.  But I suggest that the newly experienced pain and incovenience suffered by you and other Whites is commensurate with that departing from Blacks souls in America today.  Philosophically responding to that point, I can only add it is about time.

I also believe firmly that most of America is sick and tired of all this hate.  I have found that much of the racism in the South is rote and gesticular, played to like one of P's popularity contests, and is played with deference to the more fervent among them who fondle their hate with a solemn gravitas which is, in the world of reality, bogus, because it is just a loser's hate, much like the hate of the dixie south is a loser's hate. 

Time to grow up.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 12:42:03 AM »
So what is more sweeping than a simple directive of equal protection under the law regardless of race, creed, gender etc.