Author Topic: Racism in 2007  (Read 9772 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Racism in 2007
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »
On the contrary, all of them receive state or federal funding in some way or another.

Actually, the "federal funding" that these receive are all based on local collections of various taxes. So, the money is collected locally, sent to the state or feds, who then juggle it around a bit and hand it back (+ or - a bit).

But "Big Government" is not required for any of these - they would probably be better if "Big Government" didn't insist on handling the money...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »
On the contrary, all of them receive state or federal funding in some way or another.

Actually, the "federal funding" that these receive are all based on local collections of various taxes. So, the money is collected locally, sent to the state or feds, who then juggle it around a bit and hand it back (+ or - a bit).

But "Big Government" is not required for any of these - they would probably be better if "Big Government" didn't insist on handling the money...

No they aren't.

For roads it depends on what Federal or State roads go through a given local area (that comes under a local government). For example, a local government will be paid so much money to maintain and clear (if necessary) a U.S. Highway or a State Highway.

For public schools it varies as to how states fund them. Generally in this state the cities have superior schools to the counties, except in counties with a unified school system (where the cities and county schools have combined). Yet, the state does not handle the property taxes collected by local governments. But we do allocate funding of some of the taxes we do collect. With schools there have been court decisions that have changed funding principles.

Hospitals vary greatly in the type of hospital and the patients.

Electricity varies greatly as well. TVA provides a great deal of electricity here, but is self-sufficient as well. Still, there are many subsidies and tax breaks in the energy sector that make it difficult to determine just how much the Government is helping.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2007, 03:16:31 PM »
For roads it depends on what Federal or State roads go through a given local area (that comes under a local government). For example, a local government will be paid so much money to maintain and clear (if necessary) a U.S. Highway or a State Highway.

Almost all of the money paid to the local government to maintain roads is collected locally via fuel taxes.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2007, 03:27:56 PM »

I would consider state funding local. Just as i would consider county contributions to a city project as local.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2007, 12:59:01 AM »
HOw can the Government give to the people more than it has taken from the people?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2007, 12:42:03 AM »
in tangible or intangible benefits?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2007, 12:44:26 AM »
in tangible or intangible benefits?

Either , the intangable gifts of government have a sorce in the people too.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 02:26:07 PM »
Something to do with "stealing good black men" away from black women appeared to be the (ir)rationale.  I couldn't point out the reason, but the hostility was definately enough to have facilitated death threats.

That is possible, but I frankly have doubts that such would be the cause of death threats.

I never claimed it a "cause", simply referencing the vitriolic anger regarding a black male marrying or even dating a white woman, coming from those in the audience I saw & heard, that in my opinion, could have easily transitioned to death threats

Part of the problem is fame.   A simular couple without the fame would have drawn less attention.

However Js, the couples I was referring too had no fame what-so-ever.  The were simply on stage, and the vitriole aimed at them was almost tangible.  I see fame as a part, but by no means integral to "the problem"

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle