Author Topic: Quote  (Read 1306 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: August 03, 2007, 11:13:05 PM »
Bonus Quote of the Day
"Jesus himself could come back as a Republican candidate these days, and there would still be some people saying, 'I don't know about that guy.'"

-- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford (R), quoted by the Christian Science Monitor.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/08/02/bonus_quote_of_the_day.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

yellow_crane

Re: Quote
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:54:21 AM »
Bonus Quote of the Day
"Jesus himself could come back as a Republican candidate these days, and there would still be some people saying, 'I don't know about that guy.'"

-- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford (R), quoted by the Christian Science Monitor.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/08/02/bonus_quote_of_the_day.html

Everybody knows that it is Republicans who grab our Christ and shove Him into the faces of others, and wrongly.

You don't see any Democrats using Christ for a fiddle, at least not to the extent of insinuating collective claim to exclusive ownership of our Lord.

But the tide is changing, for the public no longer bestows upon these rambunctious, disciplined believers the incredible deference it once did.

A great shame in America should be admitted, too, by all the real scientists who stood mute when they mangled the scientific method, et al, in order to shoal up their colorful metaphysical scaffolding.  (I see much of this modern evangelical, fundamentalist Christianity as scaffolding around and about the outside of the true church, trying to give it a Right Republican make-over.

And what of Christian ministers and leaders who are not off the charts?  What shame shall they claim for remaining moot when Jesus is used as a political football?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:32:30 AM »
It's pretty sad. 

In the aftermath of 9/11,  the "Bring'em on" statement seemed to just really be satisfying to many people.
 A lot of things happened that seem to me to be exactly what "Let loose the dogs of war" mean.   
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

gipper

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 03:31:01 AM »
Crane, religion obviously is not your metier. Mine neither. However, I do have something to add: Christ's mission, studied and interpreted by a dispassionate, neutral party not bound by centuries of superstructure excresence mangling the pillars of His teachings, would yield a message pretty much the exact contrary of what fundamentalists of every stripe are trying to foist off as Christianity.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »

Everybody knows that it is Republicans who grab our Christ and shove Him into the faces of others, and wrongly.

You don't see any Democrats using Christ for a fiddle, at least not to the extent of insinuating collective claim to exclusive ownership of our Lord.

Then you obviously haven't seen the folks who insist Jesus' teachings mean we must have government run welfare and health care programs. Granted, they're not as loud as the fundamentalists you're complaining about and using to ludicrously broad brush all Republicans, but they are there just the same.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 02:30:56 PM »
"And what of Christian ministers and leaders who are not off the charts?  What shame shall they claim for remaining moot when Jesus is used as a political football?"

Well, Billy Graham has been criticized by both sides over the years for not getting involved in many political issues. His comment always was that he only preaches Jesus. He ministered to presidents form both sides of the isle.

Is he to whom you are referring?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

yellow_crane

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 06:34:17 PM »
"And what of Christian ministers and leaders who are not off the charts?  What shame shall they claim for remaining moot when Jesus is used as a political football?"

Well, Billy Graham has been criticized by both sides over the years for not getting involved in many political issues. His comment always was that he only preaches Jesus. He ministered to presidents form both sides of the isle.

Is he to whom you are referring?

I refer to everybody wearing a collar (visible or otherwise) who is not drunk with politics, including, I guess, Billy.

I myself cannot remember hearing this criticism of Billy, but then most of what I did hear came from the msm, and not church organizations.  The msm, though, always seemed to refer to Billy's eschewing of party politics in a favorable way.  I think in his last days, especially when he acknowledged that he was a close friend to Nixon (close as one could be a friend to that Dick), he tipped his hat to the Right.

It may be simply indemnic to the South and Republican mindset, though, that top-dog Baptists gain the stature to associate with the big money in the South.  Even when large parts of the South were Democratic, the Southern rich always had a Republican mindset. 

As you know in the Southern Baptist churches, the well-to-do occupy the front pews, and in fact one can recognize the monied stature of the congregations  simply by panning over all the pews, front to back.  I do not know if I can google up a backing for this statement (doubtful, in fact, since religion has always enjoyed that special priveledge of escaping the general criticism that everybody else is subject to.)   But I have heard over the years many Baptists talking about who sat where.  Money was the qualifier in every instance.

The same could not be said about Billy's boy, though.  He is an opportunist of the first degree, and caters to the far Right.  The essential difference between Billy and his son may well reflect what changes have been made in the quality and credibility of the characters of fathers and sons over this last generation in America.  One can see the difference between Billy and son much like one can see the difference between Herbert Walker and his shallow son George.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 12:40:35 AM »
Gee, I guess we go to different churches then. Mine is integrated and I also discern no seat layout by income. My wife and I sit in the middle, halfway between the end and the podium, so does that mean we are midway in income there, too? Pah! Bah, humbag, I say! Your discussion presents no surveys, no studies. In fact, it is anecdotal eivdence at best, Crane.Is this the way it is in your church?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D