Author Topic: Muslims Silence Critics  (Read 10255 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Muslims Silence Critics
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2007, 09:51:19 AM »

Lillian Gish in Intolerance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intolerance_(film)

Considered to be one of the most spectacular films of all time, Intolerance was a colossal undertaking filled with monumental sets, lavish period costumes, and more than 3,000 extras. The film consisted of four distinct but parallel stories that demonstrated mankind's intolerance during four different ages in world history. The timeline covered approximately 2,500 years, beginning with:

The "Babylonian" period (539 BC) depicts the fall of Babylon as a result of intolerance arising from a conflict between devotees of different Babylonian gods.
The "Judean" era (circa 27 AD) recounts how intolerance led to the crucifixion of Jesus.
The French Renaissance (1572) tells of the failure of the Edict of Toleration that led to the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre.
Modern America (1914) demonstrates how crime, moral puritanism, and conflicts between ruthless capitalists and striking workers helped ruin the lives of Americans.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2007, 10:07:12 AM »
Give me a break.  You PRAY to Mary AND to Jesus, just like the two of them were gods.  I don't knock it, that's certainly your right.  I just don't happen to agree with it.  And just because some deracinated North American Catholics perceive the statues one way doesn't mean that's the only way they're seen.  You oughtta read Gabriele D'Annunzio's short story, Gli Idolatri (The Idolators) for another, way over the top, view of them.  Fantastic short story, BTW, one of my all-time faves.

We ask Mary to pray for us. Though there were (and probably are) people guilty of idolatry towards Our Lady, that has never been the position of the Church. Statues, icons, and art (including the cross) have been part of Christian heritage since the earliest of times. It does not make them objects of worship anymore than preachers who hold up their Bibles and pray are worshipping their Bibles.

Oy.  Now HE'S telling ME about Elijah.  FYI, Elijah is for FUN.  It's a common JOKE to watch Elijah's glass and pretend to see the wine level going down as Elijah "drinks" it, or tell him to slow down because he's driving back.  It's not meant to be taken seriously.  And BTW, it's not "at dinner," it's only done at Passover dinners.

Now do you see how easy it is to turn something innocent into something sinister? ;) 

News to me.  BIG mistake.  I'm gonna have to straighten them out.

You should study Islam some, it is truly a fascinating religion.

By the way, I was trying to be on your side in this argument. But I don't think defending Muslims by mauling Catholics (like myself) is a very good tactic.

Though you're right about much of what you say. And only the most ultra-conservative traditionalist Catholic is going to hide in the sand and claim that we historically treated the Jewish people with anything but horrible contempt (with a few exceptions) in the Middle Ages. It was after all Italian cities who invented the idea of marking Jews with yellow clothing or badges in Venice and Rome in the Jewish slums. Even after the Reformation it was Martin Luther who wrote about the solution to the "Jewish problem."

So let me ask, is it people like Irving Layton from whom a lot of this viewpoint stems? (By the way I think Layton is amongst Canada's greatest poets, so I'm not chastising Canadian authors here).
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
it doesn't really matter who has killed more decades or centuries ago
what is relevant is today
and who today is killing in the name of their religion in far greater numbers?

And in this country a Muslim can preach on the street corner. Wanna guess what would happen if a Christian tried that in Saudi Arabia?

I see the Left has skirted answering my question here. Could it be because it is TRUE?

Maybe that's because you're repeating yourself, Professor, from a thread months ago.

Again, your friend had no business being in Saudi Arabia proselytizing on the street corner, and he knew that going into it. Rather than lamenting this sob story and constantly pointing out the evils, why not just admit - their country, not our business what religion they follow? Certainly, they are not the only ones.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2007, 12:18:56 PM »
<<By the way, I was trying to be on your side in this argument. But I don't think defending Muslims by mauling Catholics (like myself) is a very good tactic.>>

You should re-read the post.  I wasn't "mauling" the Catholics, only pointing out that that as strict monotheists and non-idolators the Muslims were closer to the Jewish religion than the Catholics were.  I'm also well aware of the RCC tradition regarding icons and statues (I believe the Eastern Orthodox Christians have a different take on certain icons) but, as d'Annunzio's "Gl'Idolatri" makes clear in a rather horrifying way, it is easy enough for the uneducated to slip into idolatry through the most innocent of Church statues and symbols.  Similarly with the veneration of Mary, it's easy to cross over into divine stature and of course the Church's doctrine is that Jesus was of divine origin.  As someone who doesn't even know if there is a God, let alone two or three or sixty-two of them, I'm not being negative towards either polytheism or idolatry, but facts are facts and the Muslims are doctrinally closer to the Jews than to Christianity in both of those key areas.

<<Though you're right about much of what you say. And only the most ultra-conservative traditionalist Catholic is going to hide in the sand and claim that we historically treated the Jewish people with anything but horrible contempt (with a few exceptions) in the Middle Ages. It was after all Italian cities who invented the idea of marking Jews with yellow clothing or badges in Venice and Rome in the Jewish slums. Even after the Reformation it was Martin Luther who wrote about the solution to the "Jewish problem.">>

Well it's nothing I like to dwell on, but I feel compelled to point it out only when there is this hateful diatribe against Islam as a "cult of violence" or "cult of death,"  in supposed contrast to the wonderful and beneficent Christianity.  Apropos Italy, Jewish survival rates in Italy were one of the highest in all Axis or Axis-occupied countries during WWII, which is directly attributable to the courageous attitude of millions of Italians in hiding and rescuing Jews, so whatever they did in the Middle Ages as far as I'm concerned is just water under the bridge.  They're a great people and unlike all the other fascist or former fascist countries, they took care of their own fascist dictator in their own way on their own initiative.

<<So let me ask, is it people like Irving Layton from whom a lot of this viewpoint stems? (By the way I think Layton is amongst Canada's greatest poets, so I'm not chastising Canadian authors here).>>

Sorry to have to admit this, JS, but I never read anything of Layton's.  Maybe I should.  "This viewpoint" is probably the viewpoint of every single Jew of European origin on the face of the earth.  It was my dad's, my uncles', my friends', my friends' parents' - - I don't actually know a single Jew who thinks that, historically, Christianity was anything but lethal for the Jews or that Jewish history under the Christians of Europe was anything other than a series of horrific massacres and persecutions culminating in the Holocaust.  No doubt it was Layton's POV also.  Mordechai Richler, another Canadian Jewish author whom I DID read (and wouldn't recommend) can speak of nothing else but.  If you read enough Philip Roth, you'll find it there as well.  I. B. Singer can't get away from it.  It's only with Jewish people of Sephardic (North African) ancestry and tradition that you DON'T find this viewpoint - - they lived in Muslim lands and were not persecuted to anywhere near the extent that the Jews of Europe were persecuted.  Persecution and massacre are just not a part of their history or tradition.  Not that it never happened, just that nothing like European proportions were ever achieved.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2007, 02:09:48 PM »
Believe it or not, you find some difference in views amongst Jewish artists in postwar Europe, Canada, and America.

Layton, to my mind, writes one of the best poems on the subject and was just a skilled poet in general.

For My Brother, Jesus

Irving Layton

For Jesus Christ

It began with delicate religious frissons
at the blinding of a young Jewess
who incautiously turned away her gaze
from your paraded likeness at Easter

One pontiff invented the ghetto;
more tender and loving, another commanded
shivering ghosts to wear out its cobblestones
warmed by the yellow Star of David.

Having mutilated under your mild forgiving eyes
your idol-hating brothers and sisters,
both peasant and duke knew the joys of penitence,
the ecstatic remorse in sinning flesh.

Your stoutest, most selfless partisans in Europe
laboured nearly two thousand years
to twist your Cross into the Swastika
that tore into our flesh like a fish-hook.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2007, 02:28:17 PM »

And in this country a Muslim can preach on the street corner. Wanna guess what would happen if a Christian tried that in Saudi Arabia?

I see the Left has skirted answering my question here. Could it be because it is TRUE?

Maybe that's because you're repeating yourself, Professor, from a thread months ago.

Again, your friend had no business being in Saudi Arabia proselytizing on the street corner, and he knew that going into it. Rather than lamenting this sob story and constantly pointing out the evils, why not just admit - their country, not our business what religion they follow? Certainly, they are not the only ones.

And yet we strive for global human rights and that includes the freedom to practice your religion. Too bad Islam is so afraid of other religions that it won't give them a shot.

Let's see: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  Ok, I'll preach over there, and YOU can preach here. Even-steven.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2007, 02:43:13 PM »
And yet we strive for global human rights and that includes the freedom to practice your religion. Too bad Islam is so afraid of other religions that it won't give them a shot.

Let's see: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  Ok, I'll preach over there, and YOU can preach here. Even-steven.

Saint Francis of Assisi once wisely commented to: "preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."

Despite its growth, Islam is not inherently an evangelical religion. In other words, they do not actively proselytize as a general rule (similar to Judaism in that regard). I don't understand why you expect Saudi Arabia to accept missionaries.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »

First, I don't believe in going into other countries and breaking their laws to preach Christianity. I guess that's beside the point.

Mainly, I don't get your beef with Islam on this count.

Proselytizing in some non-Muslim countries is illegal as well. Cambodia and Laos (Buddhist), Bulgaria (Orthodox Christian), off the top of my head. For that matter, your described brand of conversion tactics - preaching on the street corner - is illegal even in Israel (although there is no law against changing religion - just being a nuisance and making people listen to your preaching is illegal).

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »
I geusss I am jsut preaching for an even playing field. Regardless of the nation involved, it seems childish to not allow dissenting voices in this arena. Are they so afraid that their adherents will be converted? As a Christian, I say let 'em come: Christianity is strong enough to stand on its own.

I also see this in the larger arena of global human rights, of which I wholeheartedly support. One of the very few positives of Jimmy Carter's Administration, for example, was his stance on human rights. I would go even further by stating that if nations do not adhere to basic human rights, perhaps the world community needs to cut them off or penalize them in some way. Or, as Plane might say "What impact would this have or not"?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 02:56:12 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2007, 03:06:16 PM »
I geusss I am jsut preaching for an even playing field. Regardless of the nation involved, it seems childish to not allow dissenting voices in this arena. Are they so afraid that their adherents will be converted? As a Christian, I say let 'em come: Christianity is strong enough to stand on its own.

I also see this in the larger arena of global human rights, of which I wholeheartedly support. One of the very few positives of Jimmy Carter's Administration, for example, was his stance on human rights. I would go even further by stating that if nations do not adhere to basic human rights, perhaps the world community needs to cut them off or penalize them in some way. Or, as Plane might say "What impact would this have or not"?

I can understand wanting an even playing field - but it's a whole 'nother discussion and reaches far beyond Islamic countries.

As for Jimmy Carter, certainly the statement that he was "a great man, but a terrible president" has been repeated often enough. But even in Carter's term with his focus on human rights, he still put that aside to make decisions and alliances that flew in the face of what he stated publicly. I think all presidents have and although I'm the first one to complain about it and point out the double-talk, it's all part of the game of global politics.

Richpo64

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2007, 04:18:24 PM »
>>LOL.  Sure, Rich.  Whatever you say.  And while we're at it, why not make it an even billion?<<

Sure!

Right up there with 600,000 dead Iraqis. , huh?

Read a book. Then get back to me.