Author Topic: Pssssst...Hey, Sirs...Here's one just for you...  (Read 2131 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pssssst...Hey, Sirs...Here's one just for you...
« on: August 08, 2007, 04:09:38 PM »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Pssssst...Hey, Sirs...Here's one just for you...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:03:13 PM »
You do know, H, that the nation's crumbling infrastructure has been AN ISSUE for literally decades.

I have an idea: lets add one cent to every gallon of gasoiline purchased anywhere in the U.S. and put it into a fund to build our nation's infrastructure. Or, we'll take the money out of NPR funding and then see what else we need.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »
LOL....and here I thought the collapse was due to Global Warming..............which of course is also Bush's fault      :D
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 05:41:28 PM »

You do know, P, that I posted the cartoon merely for sport.

Richpo64

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »
I recall reading some left-wing nut claim that high temperatures actually did have something to do with the collapse.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 07:19:14 PM »

I have an idea: lets add one cent to every gallon of gasoiline purchased anywhere in the U.S. and put it into a fund to build our nation's infrastructure.

Why in the world would we want to do that? If Minnesota can afford to spend a few hundred million on a sports stadium, why can't Minnesota afford to spend a few hundred million on its own infrastructure? If the state cannot afford both, I'm pretty sure there are a few Minnesotans who can helpfully explain which one the government of Minnesota should choose.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:41:51 PM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »

You do know, P, that I posted the cartoon merely for sport.

Ok, that's cool, but what about my idea?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 08:45:28 PM »
I recall reading some left-wing nut claim that high temperatures actually did have something to do with the collapse.

Yeah, because Minnesota is SOOOO hot. ;-)

It's further north than Toronto.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

yellow_crane

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 09:25:15 PM »

Actually, I think the bridge collapsed because of vibration, and how vibration affects tensile strength.

Along with other factors, there was a train trundling by, close, at the time.

Once, as a youngster, working with steel workers, I watched as a crane began to lift a stack of steel plates.  The crane lifted it about half way up, and it began to tremble, and the operator eased it back down.  The crew cut the load by half, removing half the stack.

When the crane had it high enough to swing, a steel worker above dropped a spud wrench, weighing about three pounds.  When the spud wrench hit the lifted steel plates, the plates and the cable began to shake and hum loudly.  Then the cable broke.

That simple dropped spud wrench issued more destructive threat than half the stack of steel.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 12:10:32 AM »
You do know, H, that the nation's crumbling infrastructure has been AN ISSUE for literally decades.

I have an idea: lets add one cent to every gallon of gasoiline purchased anywhere in the U.S. and put it into a fund to build our nation's infrastructure. Or, we'll take the money out of NPR funding and then see what else we need.

Don't we already ?

How much more does it cost to maintain a bridge than it cost in the first place?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:30:07 AM »
Obviously more than we are paying.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 01:13:48 AM »
Ok, that's cool, but what about my idea?

Florida already has a gas tax that is supposed to go for roads and bridges. They also have an optional 1 cent sales tax that most counties opt to use. When they began using it, many claimed it was just a temporary measure. It's been temporary now for quite a number of years. We were also told the lottery proceeds would go to education, with no cuts in the existing education funding. Somehow we still have a lot of kids going to class in trailers in schools that can't teach them well enough to pass standardized tests.

If you want to throw money at the problem, rather than add new taxes or fees, why not use some of the money that is being wasted elsewhere, say on the war in Iraq? We're up to what now, about 8 billion a month over there?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »
The problem in Florida is that when they instituted the Lottery, the governments there saw that as a sign they could take the regular money being funneled into the educaiton establishment and put it elsewhere. That is why the popular executive of the Florida Lottery left and came here to Georgia to run it here.

And, I honestly do not know if adding more money is the key here. Are we giving enough money to the Eisenhower Interstate System? If so, then where is it going? If not, then perhaps we need to reprogram funds from elsewhere.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 12:07:53 PM »
Obviously more than we are paying.

Bush rejects raising gas tax for now
On bridge repairs, he first wants lawmakers to examine how they prioritize

WASHINGTON - President Bush dismissed Thursday raising the federal gasoline tax to repair the nation?s bridges at least until Congress changes the way it spends highway money.

?The way it seems to have worked is that each member on that (Transportation) committee gets to set his or her own priorities first,? Bush said. ?That?s not the right way to prioritize the people?s money. Before we raise taxes, which could affect economic growth, I would strongly urge the Congress to examine how they set priorities.?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20196442/
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 11:43:33 AM »
How much of the tax on gasoline is spent on road maintence?

Shouldn't it all be dedicated?