Author Topic: Iraqi refugees find freedom and jobs in... China  (Read 664 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Iraqi refugees find freedom and jobs in... China
« on: August 09, 2007, 05:43:44 AM »
From NPR:

Iraqi trader Moussa Anwar says many Iraqis come to China to do business ? and end up wanting to stay.

Indeed, the Iraqi embassy in Beijing says the number of Iraqis in China has increased by 50 percent over the past two years, and most are in Yiwu. Exiled Iraqis estimate there are about 100 Iraqi trading companies and 1,000 Iraqis in the city at any one time.

[...]

Majjid says that life is freer in China than in Iraq today.

One example is his weekly soccer game, something that probably wouldn't be possible in Iraq. Every week, his all-Iraqi team ? made up of Shia, Sunnis and Kurds ? takes on a Chinese side.

[...]

If the Chinese authorities allow it, Mahmoud says he will stay in China "forever."

Like the other exiles in Yiwu, Mahmoud is grateful to China for making his new life possible, even as he acknowledges it is in Beijing's interests to build trade ties with Iraq.

Whole article at the other end of this link.

There is your key to stability in Iraq. Entrepreneurs willing to take risks. Wonder why they went to China. Can't be for the soccer. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Iraqi refugees find freedom and jobs in... China
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 06:57:13 PM »
Wonderful story, I'm glad to see it.   
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.