Author Topic: Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look  (Read 7216 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2007, 11:58:43 AM »
I like his books, particularly the "juvenile" ones like Between Planets, Starman Jones, Farnham's Feeehold, Podkayne of Mars, Starship Troopers, etc. His later ones, when his brain tumor became an issue, were weird like I Fear No Evil, Stranger in a Strange Land, etc.

As far as being voerrated, Heinlein won four Hugo Awards for his novels. In addition, fifty years after publication, three of his works were awarded "Retro Hugos" ? awards given retrospectively for years in which no Hugos had been awarded. He also won the first Grand Master Award given by the Science Fiction Writers of America for lifetime achievement.

Heck, he even developed the idea of the waterbed, and his detailed descriptions of it in three of his books later prevented others from patenting it!

In short, Robert Heinlein is usually identified, along with Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke, as one of the three masters of science fiction to arise in the so-called Golden Age of science fiction.

Overrated? Bah humbag, I say!

source: Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:11:13 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »
At least credit Wikipedia when you quote from it...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2007, 01:51:14 PM »
I think the wierd sex stuff started at glory road
that book might be his transition away from the juvy stories.
but no matter what he`s still a man of his time.
reading his books is good glimpse of the thinking of those times.
ex. glory road about the queen of the galaxy and how a guy couldn`t handle being of lower stature to her.
heilein couldn`t help write that the queen would prefer being subservient to him.
I like have spacesuit will travel
the technical detail of the suit was cool to me.
I like any books that explains stuff
probly why I like critchen

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2007, 06:11:35 PM »
At least credit Wikipedia when you quote from it...

Big wup. Get a grip.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

gipper

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »
As to the original intent of this post, courting a bureaucratic nightmare, I would nonetheless favor a universal conscription (with the obvious exemptions) for each able-bodied legal resident of a certain age group, for a specified period, to work for the national interest as assigned by aptitude tests, need, desire, opportunity and volition in a wide range of endeavors, keeping the actual combat (but maybe not combat-support) positions for strict volunteers. BT is right: there is a cost to freedom, citizenship and the principles we hold dear.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »
Miracles DO happen. We are in agreement!

What ages would you suggest?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »
Big wup. Get a grip.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this Site to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this website or is attributed to the copyright owner.[

http://www.debategate.com/e107/page.php?2

Sorry i just don't feel like being sued because you can't be bothered giving credit where credit is due. So yes it is a big deal.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:37:55 PM by BT »