Author Topic: Jihad 101  (Read 15046 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jihad 101
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 11:39:58 PM »
<<Why? You're predictable and a prick.

<<Why shoud I bother?>>

So you won't look quite as fucking stupid as you do now?  So that maybe I'll take your post a little more seriously instead of automatically writing it off as the product of a semi-literate moron?  So that you can contribute more to the group than a gratuitous screen fart?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2007, 01:24:12 AM »
>>As you might notice, a whole bunch of posts are missing here. I asked JS to remove them. I was OK answering general questions in a public forum, but when you start asking about my child, you've gone too far.<<

What did I ask about your child? You brought him up, not me.

Nice censorship though. Reminds me of an article I posted. I think I know enough about you without going any further.

I find it intriguing that many on the the Left tend to bring up the issue of censorship quite alot (usually indicating that the Right is censoring something), and yet censorship is practiced, as is evidenced by this latest action, by them. I find this paradoxical. If censorship is to be followed, persuade me to participate further, please. What's next? No freedom of expression of ANY kind? I find the logic of this action illogical.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:29:03 AM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 02:21:27 AM »
I find it intriguing that many on the the Left tend to bring up the issue of censorship quite alot (usually indicating that the Right is censoring something), and yet censorship is practiced, as is evidenced by this latest action, by them. I find this paradoxical. If censorship is to be followed, persuade me to participate further, please. What's next? No freedom of expression of ANY kind? I find the logic of this action illogical.

Deleting posts that go against the terms of service for this forum is not censorship, nor is it a freedom of speech issue as this site has zip to do with the government. You don't have a right to post here, you are granted the privilege of posting here by virtue of agreeing to abide to the terms of service of this board.

I did not read the deleted posts.

I presume JS was asked to look at the posts and exercised his right as a moderator to remove them . JS is not one to act arbitrarily nor rashly. I don't recall him ever deleting a post in any of the predecessors of this board, going alll the way back to the great-granddaddy of them all, Conspiracy Cafe. which Chicky and he founded.

I know he never deleted a member in all the time i have known him and posted with him , which must be going back 9 or 10 years online.

I trust his judgment.

yellow_crane

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2007, 04:20:15 AM »
>>As you might notice, a whole bunch of posts are missing here. I asked JS to remove them. I was OK answering general questions in a public forum, but when you start asking about my child, you've gone too far.<<

What did I ask about your child? You brought him up, not me.

Nice censorship though. Reminds me of an article I posted. I think I know enough about you without going any further.

Once again we have the absolute.

This is much a game, debate with rules, but the actual realities of our lives are hardly games' pieces, no matter whose pocket they inadvertantly spill out of.

Suppose I find your mother's debit card, and coincidentally become aware of her pin number--should I post it and call it freedom of speech?  How about your sister's medical records--is that covered under anything goes?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2007, 06:52:14 AM »

If censorship is to be followed, persuade me to participate further, please. What's next? No freedom of expression of ANY kind? I find the logic of this action illogical.

Does no one objecting to the removal of the posts take into account that Henny asked for the posts to be removed because she felt they were too personal for this public forum? Doesn't Henny deserve some respect regarding what she is willing to discuss about her family in this forum? Jeez.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2007, 08:05:58 AM »
<<The fact is that how one arrives at one's views is not nearly as important as the substance of those views. That substance is what should be discussed, not anyone's personal decisions.>>

I respectfully disagree.  HOW a person came to a particular POV is always of interest, particularly if that person has deviated from the mainstream of his or her own background.  Whole books have been devoted to the subject.  ("Letter to Greco" by Nikos Kazantzakis, for one.)

I should reiterate that I asked JS to delete those posts. I generally have no problem discussing how I came to be who I am and think what I do, but I am not going to let my family be dissected by the likes of Rich in a public forum.

I think all of you know enough about me to know where I come from and what my experiences have been. Like I said, if Rich is truly interested in details about why I made the choices I did about my family, he can ask me privately. However, I suspect his questions were not out of interest, but mainly to insult, and simply because he had run out of substantive points to debate.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2007, 08:38:46 AM »
I didn't realize that Henny had asked for her own posts to be removed, which in and of itself ought to have settled the question.  If I post something that for any reason I wish to take back, I would think - - regardless of what the rules say and whether or not I have waived copyright in the post - - then out of simple decency, the post ought to be taken down.  When issues of privacy and family are concerned, all the more reason to comply with the author's wishes and take down the post.

Sorry, Henny, I didn't realize what was at stake.  Sorry Professor, guess now it looks like we still can't agree on ANYTHING - - but I'm still OK with you being an Honorary Canadian if you're still interested.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007, 09:42:47 AM »
Well, I guess I apologize. I must have overlooked the part about her requesting the removal. Of course, if anyone ASKS for posts to be removed, then that should be their perogative.

However, are we not able to remove our own posts? I know I have done this in the past. Is this capability no longer available?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2007, 09:50:56 AM »
Well, I guess I apologize. I must have overlooked the part about her requesting the removal. Of course, if anyone ASKS for posts to be removed, then that should be their perogative.

However, are we not able to remove our own posts? I know I have done this in the past. Is this capability no longer available?

They were Rich's posts addressed to me on personal issues.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »

Deleting posts that go against the terms of service for this forum is not censorship, nor is it a freedom of speech issue as this site has zip to do with the government. You don't have a right to post here, you are granted the privilege of posting here by virtue of agreeing to abide to the terms of service of this board.

I did not read the deleted posts.

I presume JS was asked to look at the posts and exercised his right as a moderator to remove them . JS is not one to act arbitrarily nor rashly. I don't recall him ever deleting a post in any of the predecessors of this board, going all the way back to the great-granddaddy of them all, Conspiracy Cafe. which Chicky and he founded.

I know he never deleted a member in all the time i have known him and posted with him , which must be going back 9 or 10 years online.

I trust his judgment.

For the record, I respect JS, even though I rarely agree with him, philosophically. I find his posts to be thoughtful and I enjoy the back-and-forth.

And, even though we (DebateGate) have zero to do with government, freedom of speech and expression is a broader philosophical term that applies across society, not just governmental entities.

Now, for JS to remove Henny's posts per her requests (even though she could it do for herself) is perfectly fine. Sounds very gentlemanly of him. But to remove Rich's posts? I remember Terra used to say some really terrible things and yet I do not remember her posts ever being removed. Domer mentions an aspect of her religion, however (a correct one by the way, FACTUALLY), and he is suspended for a while. Hey, I hardly EVER agree with Domer, but that's beside the point here.

Someone removes any of mine, however, and I'll join the Left in protests against Fascism/autocratic behavior. I hope Rich is upset as I believe he deserves to be. And if anyone is upset I am upset, so be it. Remove me from the list for it if you wish for this opinion and put on your armband. As BT pointed out, it is BT, JS, chickencunter, Plane and Victor's call anyway.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:51:15 AM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2007, 12:13:03 PM »
Your idealism and courage of convictions is noted.

Let's get back to talking past each other, shall we?

Richpo64

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »
>>Your idealism and courage of convictions is noted. <<

As is your lack there of.

But that's old news.

Richpo64

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »
>>They were Rich's posts addressed to me on personal issues.<<

I guess I hit a nerve.

Personally I don't give a damn about you or your family. You give yourself much to much credit for being the slightest bit interesting. I asked a simple question ABOUT YOU, I never mentioned your children. At the time I didn't realize that you had become one of them. the last I heard you were a Catholic who actually wrote about her Catholic beliefs. I didn't realize that it had become a probnlem for you, which it obviously has. I asked a question regarding what i thought was relevant to your position on an issue. I was seeking clarification. If I made you uncomfotrtable regarding your personal problems regarding the issue please, except my sincere apologies, then go fuck yourself.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2007, 05:37:11 PM »
>>They were Rich's posts addressed to me on personal issues.<<

I guess I hit a nerve.  Personally I don't give a damn about you or your family.

Personally, I do, not that it matters to anyone.  So much easier to make enemies around here Rich, even when ideologically they're not that far off from each other.  Try to keep that in mind before you tell others to go f- themselves, would be my strong suggestion......for improved dialog, debate, and support of common interests/issues

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2007, 05:43:10 PM »
As is your lack there of.

But that's old news.

Apparently.

And so it goes.