Author Topic: Health Care  (Read 6940 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Health Care
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2007, 05:20:03 PM »

But why is it necessary? Why should this be left to charity?

Why shouldn't this be left to charity? If we had a government program, it would still be charity. It would just be government run charity. The thing is, government run charity won't solve the problem of the costs of health care. It will just hide the price from the average person.

No more than the military is government run charity for defence. It won't solve the cost? Then why are all the socialized health care systems so much less expensive than ours?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2007, 05:31:51 PM »
I got it!

charity is the universal answer to this problem and the homeless
the reason is nobody cares if it doesn`t work.
heathcare is just not considered a serious problem.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 06:02:09 PM »
<<heathcare is just not considered a serious problem.>>

My own hypothesis - - but I haven't had the time to check it out - - is that most of the uninsured and most of the early-mortality stats - - are blacks, native Americans and other victims of racism who really (in white America) don't count; that the average middle-class American figures it's not his or her problem what happens to "those people" and instinctively discounts the stats because he knows if they only counted the people who matter (white people) the stats would look pretty good.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 06:08:56 PM »
that the average middle-class American figures it's not his or her problem what happens to "those people" and instinctively discounts the stats because he knows if they only counted the people who matter (white people) the stats would look pretty good.

Yeah that's probably it.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »

No more than the military is government run charity for defence.

The military isn't quite the same thing as a charity. Or are you proposing that the government essentially nationalize health care and have every doctor, nurse, et cetera, be employees of the government?

It won't solve the cost? Then why are all the socialized health care systems so much less expensive than ours?

Are they? I keep hearing and reading about how expensive socialized health care has become, countries trying to find ways to keep the rising costs down and/or raise taxes to pay for the programs. The price per capita may be artificially kept lower, but the costs seem to be the same. And one of the results seems to be long wait times for treatment, or sometimes no treatment at all, essentially forcing people to look outside those countries to get the care they need in a timely manner. Which is fine for the wealthy, but no so fine for those without the funds to pay for both private care and travel to another country. And the mortality rates for some diseases, like cancer, seem to be lower here in the U.S. than in many countries with socialized health care. What is the cost of that? So, no, I do not believe socialized health care will solve the problem of the cost of health care.

Yes, we need to do something about health care in the U.S., but we need something better than socialized health care.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--