Author Topic: Enough said.  (Read 10943 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Enough said.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 06:56:23 PM »
Insurgents are hard to fight.

Pershing fought Insurgents in Mexico and in the Philippines , they don't win just because they are insurgents , insurgents win if they can consistently get away from the stronger force.

Pershing spanked the insurgents in the Phillipe's , but was stymied by the insurgents he couldn't run to the ground in Mexico.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:13:06 PM by Plane »

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 07:10:53 PM »

why be a smartass? whats the point of that?

I'm sarcastic sometimes. Deal with it.

"yeah golly gee" as you said why were there no insurgents in germany and japan?
because we destroyed an enemy and did not tolerate neighbors sending in tons of fighters/money/arms to support an insurgency

Immediately following the end of World War II, were there foreign countries sending even just a few pounds of fighters/money/arms to support insurgencies in Germany and/or Japan? I must have missed the day my history class covered the bombings that took place to quell the Nazi insurgents after V-E day. Or maybe there weren't any.

about 80% of suicide bombers (aka "headline grabbers")in Iraq are foreigners
we should not be tolerating Iran and Syria supporting the insurgents
but we did and are and now we are suffering the consequences

And your solution to that would be what? More war with Iran and Syria?

btw kosevo had insurgency elements

I think you mean Kosovo. (I only point this out because Kosevo is also a place, which I know because I looked it up just now, and I want to be clear.) But what is your point? U.S. involvement in that conflict did not drag out for years. And the arguments for U.S. military involvement there have been called into question, not entirely unlike the arguments for war against Iraq.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 12:01:54 AM »

why do you feel the need?

Immediately following the end of World War II, were there foreign countries sending even just a few pounds of fighters/money/arms to support insurgencies in Germany and/or Japan? I must have missed the day my history class covered the bombings that took place to quell the Nazi insurgents after V-E day. Or maybe there weren't any.

exactly proving my point, there were not any because we would not have tolerated any
today we tolerate such nonsense and we are reaping the results

And your solution to that would be what? More war with Iran and Syria?

not a ground war, but yes like Presidnt Clinton in Kosovo, i would use air power to alter behavior causing US soldier deaths and sabotaging democracy in Iraq
that is what we are doing anyway
fighting proxy wars with Iran and Syria
that is really no secret
i would warn first
i would warn again, and then again
if support of insurgents/suicide teams(80% foreigners)/arms/money killing american soldiers was not halted
then i would set timetables, give one last warning
then first aerial bombings of iranian and/or syrian military facilities would begin
bombing would halt and see if interest was now to halt the support of killing american soldiers
if no behavior change, the bombings would continue until behavior stopped or the Syrian and Iranian militaries were destroyed from the air

I think you mean Kosovo.

yes kind of like in this thread when you posted "aftereffects" and probably meant "after effects" or in this thread when you posted "not see long we can make it last" and meant to say "not see HOW long we can make it last". It's called a typo. I make them and obviously you do too.

(I only point this out because Kosevo is also a place, which I know because I looked it up just now, and I want to be clear.)

yeah sure, i am sure you had any doubt as to what I was referring to

But what is your point? U.S. involvement in that conflict did not drag out for years.

exactly because President Clinton handled that war like we should handle Iran and Syria.
it's the "Clinton Blueprint" if you will
if Hillary promises to carry out the same plan in Iran and Syria that her husband did in Kosovo I'll vote for her.

And the arguments for U.S. military involvement there have been called into question, not entirely unlike the arguments for war against Iraq

what wars has the US been involved in that no one called into question whether it should be fought?
and btw i am only praising President Clinton's military strategy in Kosovo, not the reason we were there

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 01:05:11 AM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007, 01:13:41 AM »

why do you feel the need?

I don't.

exactly proving my point, there were not any because we would not have tolerated any

And your support for this argument is what, exactly?

not a ground war, but yes like Presidnt Clinton in Kosovo, i would use air power to alter behavior causing US soldier deaths and sabotaging democracy in Iraq
that is what we are doing anyway
fighting proxy wars with Iran and Syria
that is really no secret
i would warn first
i would warn again, and then again
if support of insurgents/suicide teams(80% foreigners)/arms/money killing american soldiers was not halted
then i would set timetables, give one last warning
then first aerial bombings of iranian and/or syrian military facilities would begin
bombing would halt and see if interest was now to halt the support of killing american soldiers
if no behavior change, the bombings would continue until behavior stopped or the Syrian and Iranian militaries were destroyed from the air

So you'd escalate the situation. And what do you think would be the results of that?

I think you mean Kosovo.

yes kind of like in this thread where you posted "aftereffects" and probably meant "after effects" or in this thread when you posted "not see long we can make it last" and meant to say "not see HOW long we can make it last". It's called a typo. I make them and obviously you do too.

Yes, I make mistakes too. I guess we have something in common. Weird, i'n'it. And incidentally, 'aftereffects' is a actually a word.

(I only point this out because Kosevo is also a place, which I know because I looked it up just now, and I want to be clear.)

yeah sure, i am sure you had any doubt as to what I was referring to

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so sarcastic. I'm also not sure why you think I would lie. If I was going to pick on technical issues in your writing, I'd have done so before now. But I don't generally do that sort of thing because I know that I too make mistakes. I guess we have something in common. Whoa, deja vu.

But what is your point? U.S. involvement in that conflict did not drag out for years.

exactly because President Clinton handled that war like we should handle Iran and Syria.

I see. You want to bomb the countries into poverty. Hm. I wonder what the long-term consequences of that will be.

what wars has the US been involved in that no one called into question whether it should be fought?

Probably none, but the Kosovo War seems a particularly poor example to use.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
I see. You want to bomb the countries into poverty. Hm. I wonder what the long-term consequences of that will be.

first, why would bombing military facilities in Iran and/or Syria automatically equate to poverty?

secondly, my intention would not be to cause any country poverty, but if Iran and Syria after repeated warnings continued to be involved in arming/training/funding activities that kill american soldiers/Iraqi civilians/Iraqi policeman/Iraqi elected officials and activities that continue to try to prevent democracy from taking place in Iraq then yes if poverty was the consequence of their actions I could easily accept that just like abe lincoln or any other american president has accepted the consequences of war.

So you'd escalate the situation. And what do you think would be the results of that?

no, they are the one's escalating the situation by being involved in funding/arming/training/ect of people involved in killing US soldiers and involved in attempts to sabotage the Iraqi people's attempt at democracy.

they would finally be held fully accountable for their actions, if thats "escalation", so be it

the reality of what actually took place on the ground in two theaters of war

the Kosovo War seems a particularly poor example to use.

see US death count in the Kosovo war
as far as military strategy, overall it was conducted brilliantly
kudos to President Clinton as commander in chief
now we need his wife to follow in his footsteps

If I was going to pick on technical issues in your writing, I'd have done so before now

"if"?
you just did.
there is no "if".
it seems a rather boring and meaningless pursuit
but whatever floats your dingy

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 11:00:50 AM »
What I don't get is if Iran or Syria deserve to be bombed into poverty for attacking and killing Americans, why doesn't America deserve to be bombed into poverty for attacking and killing Iraqis?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »

the reality of what actually took place on the ground in two theaters of war

So your evidence that something which did not happen would not have have been tolerated is that it did not happen? Or did you have something more specific in mind?

If I was going to pick on technical issues in your writing, I'd have done so before now

"if"?
you just did.
there is no "if".

Actually, I made a simple clarification, not a personal attack on your spelling. As I pointed out before, I have no reason to lie about this.

it seems a rather boring and meaningless pursuit

Then let it go already.

first, why would bombing military facilities in Iran and/or Syria automatically equate to poverty?

You did say you believe Iran and Syria should be handled the way President Clinton handled Kosovo, did you not?

secondly, my intention would not be to cause any country poverty, but if Iran and Syria after repeated warnings continued to be involved in arming/training/funding activities that kill american soldiers/Iraqi civilians/Iraqi policeman/Iraqi elected officials and activities that continue to try to prevent democracy from taking place in Iraq then yes if poverty was the consequence of their actions I could easily accept that just like abe lincoln or any other american president has accepted the consequences of war.

You could easily accept it. My, aren't you brave.

no, they are the one's escalating the situation by being involved in funding/arming/training/ect of people involved in killing US soldiers and involved in attempts to sabotage the Iraqi people's attempt at democracy.

they would finally be held fully accountable for their actions, if thats "escalation", so be it

Okay. Anyway, you did not answer the question. After you've warned and warned and warned and warned and then bombed Iran and Syria, what do you think would be the results of that?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2007, 02:26:09 PM »
What I don't get is if Iran or Syria deserve to be bombed into poverty for attacking and killing Americans, why doesn't America deserve to be bombed into poverty for attacking and killing Iraqis?

Could it be perhaps that we're not actually "attacking & killing Iraqis", that in fact we're actually attacking & killing muslim extremists & terrorists, who are either trying to kill Americans or trying to derail freedom for Iraqis??

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  So much easier to keep the blinders on, and claim how low hanging our murderous fruit are, and that it's all really for the oil.  So many less neurons required to facilitate that template.  Save so many more for blanket cliched namecalling      ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:33:20 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »
"You did say you believe Iran and Syria should be handled the way President Clinton handled Kosovo, did you not?"

absolutely, in so far as it being almost entirely an aerial campaign
of course no two wars are going to be exactly 100% the same
we have the air power to basically cripple/destroy the iranian military
if they continue indirectly killing US troops, then after ignored warnings I think we should destroy their military from the air
i would not want to occupy Iran, but by destroying Iran's miltary offensive & defensive capabilty the Mullahs would soon find enough problems at home that meddling elsewhere would be out the question, their own survival would be the new buring issue

"Then let it go already"

i didn't start it, but i will put that in the "vault" and see if you stick to your own words

"So your evidence that something which did not happen would not have have been tolerated is that it did not happen?
Or did you have something more specific in mind?"

No I think if you see a jewelry store in a horrible part of town, and this jewelry store has no bars on the windows, no alarm system, and all the jewelry left in the display cases over night with the lights on, but this jewelry store has 50 armed guards with machine guns and it does not ever get robbed then one could logically conclude with some certainty that the jewelry store had never robbed because potential robbers realize they would be destroyed/killed.

Take a look at Berlin in 1945. They knew there were no Ted Kennedy's that would "protect" them.

"Okay. Anyway, you did not answer the question. After you've warned and warned and warned and warned and then bombed Iran and Syria, what do you think would be the results of that?"

Yes I did answer the question. I stated they "would finally be held accountable for their actions".
But to go further at first they would not change behavior because they rely on the pacifst left to scream and that causes hesitation
I assume we would have to prove to the Iranian Mullahs we mean business and no one was going to "save them"
So the first warning to the Mullahs would fall on deaf ears and they would contiue helping people kill Americans
After a couple of devastaing air strikes against the Iranian military and the Mullahs realizing Ted Kennedy's cries afoul are on deaf ears and no one was going to "run cover" for them. they might listen or they might not
either way it's a win/win for us
it's up to the the Mullahs to decide their fate
the result: either the Islamic Theocrats change behavior or we destroy the military of an enemy

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »

"You did say you believe Iran and Syria should be handled the way President Clinton handled Kosovo, did you not?"

Okay, so then you want to bomb the countries into poverty. Hm. I wonder what the long-term consequences of that will be.

"So your evidence that something which did not happen would not have have been tolerated is that it did not happen?
Or did you have something more specific in mind?"

No I think if you see a jewelry store in a horrible part of town, and this jewelry store has no bars on the windows, no alarm system, and all the jewelry left in the display cases over night with the lights on, but this jewelry store has 50 armed guards with machine guns and it does not ever get robbed then one could logically conclude with some certainty that the jewelry store had never robbed because potential robbers realize they would be destroyed/killed.

Take a look at Berlin in 1945. They knew there were no Ted Kennedy's that would "protect" them.

So your evidence that something which did not happen would not have have been tolerated is, in fact, that it did not happen. Okay, I'm glad we cleared that up.

"Okay. Anyway, you did not answer the question. After you've warned and warned and warned and warned and then bombed Iran and Syria, what do you think would be the results of that?"

Yes I did answer the question. I stated they "would finally be held accountable for their actions".
But to go further at first they would not change behavior because they rely on the pacifst left to scream and that causes hesitation
I assume we would have to prove to the Iranian Mullahs we mean business and no one was going to "save them"
So the first warning to the Mullahs would fall on deaf ears and they would contiue helping people kill Americans
After a couple of devastaing air strikes against the Iranian military and the Mullahs realizing Ted Kennedy's cries afoul are on deaf ears and no one was going to "run cover" for them. they might listen or they might not
either way it's a win/win for us
it's up to the the Mullahs to decide their fate
the result: either the Islamic Theocrats change behavior or we destroy the military of an enemy

I think you're not grasping the meaning of the question, and that may be my fault. Okay, after all the warnings come the bombings. After the bombings, Iran and Syria stop supporting insurgents in Iraq. After Iran and Syria stop supporting insurgents in Iraq, what happens then? What do you think will be the consequences in the Middle East? Will the terrorists go into hiding? Will they increase in number? Will the economic downturn in Iran and Syria have any ramifications? Will America have to engage in nation building in Iran and Syria? What events do you think will follow this Clintonian series of air raids?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2007, 07:12:47 PM »

Okay, so then you want to bomb the countries into poverty. Hm. I wonder what the long-term consequences of that will be.

[/color]

That is preictable , poverty that was bad enough would paralize any ambition of attack.

This is not the favoriate option of the US under any administration recently but it is one of Historys most favoriate methods of war , consider Lincon and Grant fighting the South so hard and binding trade so well that the mostly agricultural regionsuffers widespread famine , it worked .

If Abe Lincon had been in possession of B-52 s he coud have caused equal damage in a week or less as it took in four years of war , would he have?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 08:25:15 PM »
"so then you want to bomb the countries into poverty"
uh no that is not at all what I said, but continue reading what you what to see

"Hm. I wonder what the long-term consequences of that will be"
Hm. I wonder what the long-term consequences of "cut and run" will be.

"So your evidence that something which did not happen would not have have been tolerated is, in fact, that it did not happen.
Okay, I'm glad we cleared that up"

Yeah maybe it was just an accident that people did not take up arms for an insurgency against the german/japan occupation
i suppose after an atomic bomb the people supporting japan and wanting to help them fight an insurgency against the US occupation were lined up to help. again, total destruction of an enemy is usually the best weapon against insurgency. you can't fight war with one hand tied behind your back to please the New York Times and Micheal Moore. why are there no insurgents in the United States? Because they know what would happen. Why is there very little insurgency in Iran? because they will be destroyed. Insurgency feeds on weakness, feeds on hesitation, feeds on the faint hearted. abe lincoln knew how to deal with insurgents. It would not have worked to "cut and run" from the South. it would not have worked to cut a pact with the South. the only way was destruction. you in fact are a product of a country (the USA) that totally destoyed an enemy(American Indians) in order to eventually found a 50 State nation. Then again your country used the destruction of an enemy to preserve the Union that cost 500K lives. The US is not alone. Many, many countries were founded after a war and after a destruction of an enemy that wanted the same land and/or power. It may not be pretty, but it's reality.

"After the bombings, Iran and Syria stop supporting insurgents in Iraq"
correct in Iraq and also stop supporting many, many, many other Islamic groups elsewhere in the world

"After Iran and Syria stop supporting insurgents in Iraq, what happens then?"
the democrats might be in trouble
the insurgents would be hard pressed to find similar funding, training, arms, munitions, and intel
the suicide bombings (80% foreigners) would greatly diminish and the NY Times would have less headlines.
the Iraqi military would be much better able to handle the situation
if the insurgents support/funding dried up they would be more likely to cut deals and lay down their arms
the world community and capital would be more likely to flow into Iraq
imagine that. capital flowing into Iraq instead of Iranian IED's
what would help the Iraqi people more? Capital or Iranian bombs?

"What do you think will be the consequences in the Middle East?"
alot more positive consequences than if the US "cut and runs" leaving a killing fields in Iraq and a possible Iranian style theocracy that will begin exporting arms/funding/support/training similar to the Islamic Theocracy that runs Iran at the present moment.

"Will the terrorists go into hiding?"
will they go into hiding if we "cut and run"?
they will have less arms, less munitions, less funding, less training, to threaten democracy and americans
there will always be terrorists
but you can greatly marginalize them by cuttiing off their funding/training/support/intel from the only Islamic Theocracy
if you "cut and run" you could very well have two Islamic Theocracies side by side sitting on a cash cow of oil reserves that will fund
many more Hezbollahs.

if Iran has a next door neighbor Islamic Theocracy in Iraq, and they are both loaded with cash, and both emboldened by a US retreat are you saying that would mean less terror in the world? A new Islamic Republic would mean less funding of new Hezbollahs to deal with? Less suicide bombing around the world? Less threats of shutting down the Persian Gulf and our gas at $10 a gallon? How much poverty would $10 dollar gas cause?

Can you answer what the consequences will be if we have an "Iran Jr" in Iraq after we "cut and run" and not just one Islamic Republic meddling and funding Islamic revolution, but two? With the US in retreat how long before that would become 3 Islamic Theocracies? Would you defend Saudi Arabia if Iraq rolls in there with Iranian Revolutionary Guards side by side? Egypt? Jordan? UAE? How much poverty, death, money would those new fronts of war cost? You think Iran after tagging Iraq is going to go into hiding and not want more?

"Will they increase in number?"
Will the terrorist decrease in number if we "cut and run"?
don't you think they will be emboldened ?
will they suddenly all become choir boys if we "cut and run"?
i think they don't increase in number because funding, training, arms, munitions will have greatly dried up
others will be leery to fill the support shoes, knowing they could suffer the same fate

"Will the economic downturn in Iran and Syria have any ramifications?"
short term sure, and so will "cut and run" have ramifications too.
But with Iran not exporting terror and not exporting destabilizing proxie groups there could be a influx of investment capital from all over the world. Iran has alot to offer if it behaves, and the world would respond.
plus if Iran is spending all that money at home instead of funding proxy wars it could actually help the economy and Iranian people

"Will America have to engage in nation building in Iran and Syria?"
Why would there need to be nation building when you are just destroying the military?
Plus if Iran's military is destroyed Syria will come quick to the bargaining table
Most likely Syria would not have to be touched

"What events do you think will follow this Clintonian series of air raids?"
In my opinion if Iran and Syria's militaries are destroyed, (Syria's may not have to be) they are both no longer a threat to Israel. Hezbollah trained, organized, and funded by Iranian Revolutionary Guards basically collapses as a threat in Lebanon and to Israel. Syria no longer meddles in Lebanon. Syria would be under great pressure to make peace with Israel. Basically 4 countries (Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Israel) are no longer a huge threat to world peace.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:30:40 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2007, 01:30:18 AM »

"so then you want to bomb the countries into poverty"
uh no that is not at all what I said, but continue reading what you what to see

You said you wanted to handle Iran and Syria the way Kosovo was handled. As a result of the bombings, as best I understand it, Kosovo was left impoverished and in economic chaos. So, why is there such a problem with saying you want Iran and Syria bombed into poverty? Either you want the same treatment for Iran and Syria or you don't. If you do, then I can only conclude you expect a similar outcome.

Hm. I wonder what the long-term consequences of "cut and run" will be.

Probably not nearly as bad as you think. Try repeatedly and randomly hitting someone you don't like with a stick, and try leaving someone else you don't like alone. See which one gets pissed off at you first. Better yet, try taking someone who is your friend, decide they're bad for doing the same things that made them a friend in the first place, and then proceed to beat that person with a stick. See how far you can get before they stop considering you someone they like to be around.

Yeah maybe it was just an accident that people did not take up arms for an insurgency against the german/japan occupation

You're joking right? There were resistance movements, i.e. insurgents, in Europe and Asia during World War II. But you knew that, right? Do you think the Nazis were soft on insurgents? The Japanese perhaps?

i suppose after an atomic bomb the people supporting japan and wanting to help them fight an insurgency against the US occupation were lined up to help.

I am more than a little curious about just who you think would have otherwise been stepping up to fund a Japanese insurgency.

abe lincoln knew how to deal with insurgents.

So did King George III.

It would not have worked to "cut and run" from the South.

The problem with that is that there was no need to cut and run from the South. The South was doing the cutting and running, i.e. seceding. All Lincoln had to do was leave it alone.

it would not have worked to cut a pact with the South. the only way was destruction.

It would not have worked? What would not have worked? If you mean turning the U.S. from a voluntary union into an enforced union, then yes, that probably required a war. But then the obvious question is, why did that need to be done? I have to confess, I am getting an impression that you're justifying killing people to save them from themselves, even though I'm  fairly certain you don't think of it that way.

you in fact are a product of a country (the USA) that totally destoyed an enemy(American Indians)

Something of which I am not proud and believe to have been unnecessary.

you in fact are a product of a country (the USA) that totally destoyed an enemy(American Indians) in order to eventually found a 50 State nation.

Yes, Manifest Destiny, also not exactly something to crow about.

Then again your country used the destruction of an enemy to preserve the Union that cost 500K lives.

I'm not sure preserve is the correct word. Anyway, I'm wondering why the Civil War is some sort of  justification for more war.

The US is not alone. Many, many countries were founded after a war and after a destruction of an enemy that wanted the same land and/or power. It may not be pretty, but it's reality.

Yes, as I recall the U.S. was founded by a bunch of rebels fighting against what they considered an oppressive government. I don't recall making any pacifist arguments. So the lesson on war seems a little... unnecessary.

"After Iran and Syria stop supporting insurgents in Iraq, what happens then?"
the democrats might be in trouble
the insurgents would be hard pressed to find similar funding, training, arms, munitions, and intel
the suicide bombings (80% foreigners) would greatly diminish and the NY Times would have less headlines.
the Iraqi military would be much better able to handle the situation
if the insurgents support/funding dried up they would be more likely to cut deals and lay down their arms
the world community and capital would be more likely to flow into Iraq
imagine that. capital flowing into Iraq instead of Iranian IED's
what would help the Iraqi people more? Capital or Iranian bombs?

I'm quite in favor of trade, thank you very much. Yet, I can't help but think you're painting an awfully rosy picture.

"What do you think will be the consequences in the Middle East?"
alot more positive consequences than if the US "cut and runs" leaving a killing fields in Iraq and a possible Iranian style theocracy that will begin exporting arms/funding/support/training similar to the Islamic Theocracy that runs Iran at the present moment.

Assuming of course, that leaving Iraq results in "killing fields" and all that. Though by this point, it just might. But then we have no guarantee that waiting will lessen the chances of that. Then again, not going in would have left a secular and relatively stable government in Iraq. One that was once our ally. No, no, no, I'm not saying the world would be better off with Saddam Hussein in power. I'm saying we've become committed to a situation that we basically created ourselves. We failed to see what the consequences of our actions would be, painted far too rosy a picture for the outcome of our foreign policy and ultimately the war, and now I'm being told that if we just kill more people then really this time everything will work out just fine. I remain skeptical.

"Will the terrorists go into hiding?"
will they go into hiding if we "cut and run"?

That depends, does 'cut and run' mean do nothing ever again about terrorists? I don't think so. I happen to think there are alternatives to perpetual war in the Middle East and doing nothing.

they will have less arms, less munitions, less funding, less training, to threaten democracy and americans

But will they have more reasons to fight? It's a little ironic, I think, that we're supposed to take Osama bin Laden's word on comparing Iraq to Vietnam but we're not supposed to take his word about being pissed off at America's foreign policy. As for training, what better training could there possibly be than the real live war in their own backyard?

if you "cut and run" you could very well have two Islamic Theocracies side by side sitting on a cash cow of oil reserves that will fund
many more Hezbollahs.

Assuming they all get along, which is not a safe assumption.

if Iran has a next door neighbor Islamic Theocracy in Iraq, and they are both loaded with cash, and both emboldened by a US retreat are you saying that would mean less terror in the world?

Are you saying bullying countries in the Middle East by killing people with bombs is going to result in less terror in the world?

A new Islamic Republic would mean less funding of new Hezbollahs to deal with? Less suicide bombing around the world?

Bombing people would mean less anger and hatred directed toward the U.S.? Less desire to find ways to defend/fight against a perceived bully?

Less threats of shutting down the Persian Gulf and our gas at $10 a gallon? How much poverty would $10 dollar gas cause?

Do you really think killing people is going to result in the Middle East deciding to get along with the U.S.?

Can you answer what the consequences will be if we have an "Iran Jr" in Iraq after we "cut and run" and not just one Islamic Republic meddling and funding Islamic revolution, but two? With the US in retreat how long before that would become 3 Islamic Theocracies? Would you defend Saudi Arabia if Iraq rolls in there with Iranian Revolutionary Guards side by side? Egypt? Jordan? UAE? How much poverty, death, money would those new fronts of war cost? You think Iran after tagging Iraq is going to go into hiding and not want more?

Do you think bombing Iran is going to stop making people hate us enough to want to kill us? Do you think bombing Iran is going to make Islamic extremists more or less likely to want to do us harm? Do you think bombing Iran is going to make Islamic fundamentalists more or less likely to want nuclear weapons? Whatever short-term gains you think bombing Iran might achieve, you seem to be ignoring the long-term consequences of that sort of aggressive foreign policy, the kind of results which we are experiencing right now.

"Will they increase in number?"
Will the terrorist decrease in number if we "cut and run"?
don't you think they will be emboldened ?
will they suddenly all become choir boys if we "cut and run"?
i think they don't increase in number because funding, training, arms, munitions will have greatly dried up
others will be leery to fill the support shoes, knowing they could suffer the same fate

But according to reports of our own intelligence agencies, their numbers have increased. And quite frankly, I think they are emboldened already. They have a prime example of U.S. foreign policy at work in Iraq. I think our presence there only confirms the fears of those who see the U.S. as an evil and see fighting for Islam as the honorable answer to so many things. I think assuming that the terrorists are afraid of our might is naive. And assuming the most militaristic solution is the best solution is, I think, foolish in the extreme.

plus if Iran is spending all that money at home instead of funding proxy wars it could actually help the economy and Iranian people

Similar comments could be made about the U.S.

Why would there need to be nation building when you are just destroying the military?

Is that a joke?

"What events do you think will follow this Clintonian series of air raids?"
In my opinion if Iran and Syria's militaries are destroyed, (Syria's may not have to be) they are both no longer a threat to Israel. Hezbollah trained, organized, and funded by Iranian Revolutionary Guards basically collapses as a threat in Lebanon and to Israel. Syria no longer meddles in Lebanon. Syria would be under great pressure to make peace with Israel. Basically 4 countries (Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Israel) are no longer a huge threat to world peace.

Obviously, you are an optimist.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »
Could it be perhaps that we're not actually "attacking & killing Iraqis", that in fact we're actually attacking & killing muslim extremists & terrorists, who are either trying to kill Americans or trying to derail freedom for Iraqis??

Not according to the leader of Iraq, Sirs.

When they want to detain one person, they should not kill 10 others.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 10:01:49 AM »
Prince, am I right that you don't believe the Civil War was justified?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.