Author Topic: Compare this to what happened to the Dixie Chicks  (Read 10256 times)

Richpo64

Re: Compare this to what happened to the Dixie Chicks
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 02:41:59 PM »
The difference is, Ted Nugent has been attacked for years by liberals. He's even had his life threatened by some limp-wristed internet liberals. The Chicks (who's music I loved) were never threatened by anyone. They ran off to Europe and acted tough. The people spoke, and now they're done.

Ted has a right to his attitude toward the twisted left in this country. He finally went off. Good for him. Tell 'em were to stuff it Ted.

WANGO TANGO!!!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 03:09:22 PM by Richpo64 »

yellow_crane

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 09:32:27 PM »
The difference is, Ted Nugent has been attacked for years by liberals. He's even had his life threatened by some limp-wristed internet liberals. The Chicks (who's music I loved) were never threatened by anyone. They ran off to Europe and acted tough. The people spoke, and now they're done.

Ted has a right to his attitude toward the twisted left in this country. He finally went off. Good for him. Tell 'em were to stuff it Ted.

WANGO TANGO!!!!
\

Nugent takes it in his fundament.

He huffs and puffs to disguise his faggotry.

Psychologists everywhere where it counts have determined that while a male may be a fan of Teddy and not have conscious knowledge of his Brokeback prediliction, on the subconscious level his mind will pick it up, making that fan a passive if not active homosexual.  Usually this dynamic reveals a closeted pajarita who beats his chest and threatens, even when it is absurd to do so, all in a desparate game to hide his pansy.

From where the sun now stands, I will call him Tedpo--po being the homosexual secret password for the word "poo."

Richpo64

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »
>>He huffs and puffs to disguise his faggotry.<<

Isn't funny how leftists/communists make laws to protect homosexuals and condemn anyone who makes a joke using the word "fag," but when they reach the bottom of the barrel for an insult (the barrel is really deep for leftists) they call someone a fag?

Just more hypocrisy on parade.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »
Lanya?  Still looking for clarity on your part
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 11:35:50 PM »
Nugent has a different fan base than the Chicks did. He also has a talk show so people are used to him "expressing his opinions" strongly.

And it would be a bit odd for the people who thought the treatment of the Chicks was so unfair to demand censure of Nugent.

Kind of a Catch -22.

I won't be one of these alleged people that you are talking about; but I will be one of the people who is continually disgusted and repulsed by those who will shrug at his comments whilst being totally offended by the Dixie Chick's comment.

Nugent says, "Hey, Hillary, suck on this, you bitch!" and Natalie Maines said, "I just want y'all to know that we're ashamed that the President is from our state."

Admittedly, Ted Nugent is playing bars and is certifiably psychotic (in fact, that's an insult to certified psychotics everywhere) and isn't worth the one bullet it would take to kill him but this isn't about him or his comments.  It is about who WE are.  WE don't do that.   We don't even joke about killing elected officials.  That undermines democracy and the idea of a republic.

Maines' comments weren't even an attack.  It was her opinion.  Nugents' comments have gotten ZERO negative comments from any on the right here as far as I've read.  Yet there were cries of disgust and outrage from those on the right when Maines made her, by comparison, overly benign comment.

And FYI, the locale of the comment has nothing to do with it.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 11:39:49 PM »

I love forums where people are free to voice their opinion that anyone in government they don't like should be killed.

Hey, Rich, how would you like to see Hillary, Barak, Edwards and the rest killed?  Bullets to the brain ok?  Or would you like to see something a little slower?

Richpo64

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 11:42:51 PM »
>>Hey, Rich, how would you like to see Hillary, Barak, Edwards and the rest killed?  Bullets to the brain ok? <<

I'm hoping the Clintons take care of it some time soon. People they don't like have a habit of ending up dead. Take Buddy the dog for instance. He knew to much, and was "hit by a car."

;D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 11:46:57 PM »
Brass, with all due respect, the issue here is does he have a right to spew garbage?  You apparently had no problem when the Chicks did it.....in another country.  (And when Garrafalo did it, and when the Baldwins did it, and when the Sheens did it, and when Glover did it, and when J Roberts did it, and when Streisand continually does it.  I think you were even miffed at the idea that those who ususally listen to the Chicks, might stop buying their albums.  Am I not correct?  Are you supporting a double standard here??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 11:50:49 PM »
I won't be one of these alleged people that you are talking about; but I will be one of the people who is continually disgusted and repulsed by those who will shrug at his comments whilst being totally offended by the Dixie Chick's comment.

Wasn't bothered by the Chicks comments either.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously. ~ Hubert H Humphry

Richpo64

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 11:59:39 PM »
>>whilst being totally offended by the Dixie Chick's comment.<<

I wasn't offended by their comments, frankly I was shocked.

I was a HUGE chicks fan. Hell, I was even a member of their fan club (got you first dibs on concert tickets and such). I even went to see them after they made their dumbass comments. I haven't listened to them since, nor did I buy their latest album.

What they did more than anything else was insult and alienate their fans. Most of us decided we didn't want to support artists who didn't support us. So now the chicks are history. To damn bad. They asked for it.

As for Ted, as I said before, he's taken shit form those people for years. For people on the left to act all holier than thou after what they've said about Republicans (see sirs list) is just another example of the hypocrisy of the left.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 12:02:57 AM »
Brass, with all due respect, the issue here is does he have a right to spew garbage?  You apparently had no problem when the Chicks did it.....in another country.  (And when Garrafalo did it, and when the Baldwins did it, and when the Sheens did it, and when Glover did it, and when J Roberts did it, and when Streisand continually does it.  I think you were even miffed at the idea that those who ususally listen to the Chicks, might stop buying their albums.  Am I not correct?  Are you supporting a double standard here??

Spewing garbage is a cute way of describing Nugent expressing his opinion that he wants to kill Democratic nominees.

What happened to those on the right that went to such lengths to harass anyone hear who said they hope nothing happens to Bush because they didn't want Cheney to be president?  Where are those people who felt that those on the left who said that actually WANTED Bush to be killed?  Where are those righties tonight?

If Nugent had said, "I'm ashamed of Hillary, Obama, et al, " then I'd have no problem but that's NOT what he said, is it?

Who is supporting the double standard here, sirs?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 12:05:18 AM »

Wasn't bothered by the Chicks comments either.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously. ~ Hubert H Humphry

So, you would have not the teensiest problem with someone onthe left saying that Bush should be shot in the head and his body dragged through the streets of DC?  That wouldn't phase you in the least?*

*Not saying he should, mind you.  Just curious about BT's line of demarcation on free speech.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 12:10:19 AM »
>>whilst being totally offended by the Dixie Chick's comment.<<

I wasn't offended by their comments, frankly I was shocked.

I was a HUGE chicks fan. Hell, I was even a member of their fan club (got you first dibs on concert tickets and such). I even went to see them after they made their dumbass comments. I haven't listened to them since, nor did I buy their latest album.

What they did more than anything else was insult and alienate their fans. Most of us decided we didn't want to support artists who didn't support us. So now the chicks are history. To damn bad. They asked for it.

As for Ted, as I said before, he's taken shit form those people for years. For people on the left to act all holier than thou after what they've said about Republicans (see sirs list) is just another example of the hypocrisy of the left.

At the 49th Grammy Awards Show in 2007, the Chicks, as they are informally known, won all five categories for which they were nominated, including the coveted Song, Record, and Album of the Year, in a vote Maines interprets as partly a statement for free speech.[3]

Despite minimal airplay, Taking the Long Way debuted at number one on both the U.S. pop albums chart and the U.S. country albums chart, selling 526,000 copies in the first week (the year's second-best such total for any country act) and making it a gold record within its first week. The Chicks became the first female group in chart history to have three albums debut at #1.[28]

In Europe, both singles from their Taking the Long Way were well received by country radio, remaining on the European Country Charts for more than 20 weeks each: Not Ready To Make Nice peaked at #13 and Everybody Knows at #11.[29]

The group's Accidents & Accusations Tour began in July 2006. Ticket sales were strong in Canada and in some Northeastern markets, but notably weak in other areas. A number of shows were cancelled or relocated to smaller venues due to poor sales, and in Houston, Texas, tickets never even went on sale when local radio stations refused to accept advertising for the event.[30] In August, a re-routed tour schedule was announced with a greater emphasis on Canadian dates, where Taking the Long Way had gone five-times-platinum. The tour's shows themselves generally refrained from any explicit verbal political comments, letting the music, especially the central performance of Not Ready to Make Nice, speak for itself. At a Nov. 5, 2006 concert in Calgary, Alberta the Chicks received a thunderous ovation when the song was over, and the band held up a handwritten sign from a fan that read "Nobody likes a nasty Bush."

During 2006, the Dixie Chicks became the first major band to hire a designated blogger to be embedded with them for their promotional activities and tour. They partnered with Microsoft and hired Junichi Semitsu, a Professor of Law at the University of San Diego, to write first-hand accounts for their Accidents & Accusations Tour at the website http://dixiechicks.msn.com.[31] MSN broadcasted an entire live concert, called "Scene of the Crime", of the Dixie Chicks' return to Shepherds Bush, England, the site of "The Incident". Toward the end of the concert Natalie said from the stage, "Everyone has been asking me what I'm going to say and well, I guess it can't hurt to repeat myself. I'm ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas," which was met with thunderous applause and cheers.

In 2006, Taking the Long Way was the ninth best-selling album in the United States. It won the 2007 Grammy Award for Best Album, Best Record, and Best Song (for "Not Ready To Make Nice") - 14 years since one artist or group last swept those three awards[32] - and Best Country Album on February 11, 2007. After their Grammy win the Dixie Chicks album Taking the Long Way hit #8 on Billboard 200 and #1 on the country album charts and the song of the year winning Not Ready to Make Nice re-entered the charts at #4 on the Hot 100.

The music video for "Not Ready to Make Nice" was nominated for the 2007 CMT Music Video Awards in the categories of "Video of the Year" and "Group Video of the Year," however, the video did not win in its nominated categories.[33]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks#Continued_success_with_a_.22non-commercial.22_sound

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 12:11:34 AM »
Brass, with all due respect, the issue here is does he have a right to spew garbage?  You apparently had no problem when the Chicks did it.....in another country.  (And when Garrafalo did it, and when the Baldwins did it, and when the Sheens did it, and when Glover did it, and when J Roberts did it, and when Streisand continually does it.  I think you were even miffed at the idea that those who ususally listen to the Chicks, might stop buying their albums.  Am I not correct?  Are you supporting a double standard here??

Any of these people insinuate or state plainly that Bush should be killed or shot?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »
So, you would have not the teensiest problem with someone onthe left saying that Bush should be shot in the head and his body dragged through the streets of DC?  That wouldn't phase you in the least?*

Nope.

The Secret Service might have a problem with it, though.