Author Topic: Compare this to what happened to the Dixie Chicks  (Read 10245 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Compare this to what happened to the Dixie Chicks
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »

In obscenity-laced tirade, Ted Nugent jokes of killing Obama, calls Clinton a 'bitch'
Nick Juliano
Published: Friday August 24, 2007

At a recent stop on his "Love Grenade 2007 Shrapnel Tour," rocker Ted Nugent tossed some rhetorical bombs at a few top Democrats, and the possible future gubernatorial candidate joked about executing the most prominent African American politician in a generation.

"Obama, he's a piece of shit, and I told him to suck on my machine gun," Nugent said in front of a screaming crowd as he brandishes what appear to be two large assault rifles. He was referring to Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination and would become the first black man to occupy the Oval Office.

In a video from a recent performance posted on LiveLeak, Nugent, a prominent pro-gun advocate, paced the stage with a machine gun in each hand as the crowd eggs on his increasingly vulgar tirades.

The video appeared Friday, but the date and venue of the performance is unclear. Nugent performed Thursday in Jackson, California, while a comment left on a YouTube post said that it was taken from an Anaheim performance last Tuesday.

"Hey Hillary, you might want to ride one of these into the sunset you worthless bitch," Nugent said, brandishing his weapons.

He also went after Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), suggesting she, too, might like to "suck on my machine gun." Nugent's tirade against California's other Democratic Senator, Diane Feinstein, is too garbled to transcribe, but one can hear Nugent call her a "whore."

In a recent profile, Nugent tried to paint a different picture of himself than his videotaped comments would suggest.

"I am almost Ward Cleaver-ish, but with more guns and enthusiasm," Nugent said in an e-mail interview with the El Paso Times. One imagines that tirades like the one posted Friday would make the whole Cleaver clan blush.

An avid hunter, Nugent has been politically active as an opponent of gun control laws and he is a board member of the National Rifle Association. He has considered trying to take his political activism all the way to the Governor's Mansion in his native Michigan.

"That would be beautiful," Nugent said when asked by Reuters if he would run for governor in 2010. "I have threatened to do so and I was sincere."
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/In_obscenitylaced_tirade_Ted_Nugent_jokes_0824.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Compare this to what happened to the Dixie Chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:59:01 PM »
  Indeed, very like the Dixie Chicks , but why didn't he go to Europe to berate these Politicians?

I wish he had asked me first , I would have told him that this sort of tantrum doesn't harm the object of wrath nearly so much as it ricochets to cripple the career of the tantrumiser.

crocat

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:04:43 PM »
Looking back into a place 'long ago and far away,' I do believe there was a rumor about them killing puppies  at one of the rock concerts.   me thinks he does not give a rats red ass about his 'reputation,' more like he revels in it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:15:22 PM »
Looking back into a place 'long ago and far away,' I do believe there was a rumor about them killing puppies  at one of the rock concerts.   me thinks he does not give a rats red ass about his 'reputation,' more like he revels in it.

So he is less vunerable than the Dixie Chicks were?

I suppose you may have a good point there , the demographic that listens to Ted Nugent will not feel betrayed by this display of pique , they may reward him.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:42:02 PM »
Compare what exactly? 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 07:54:20 PM »
Compare what exactly? 

Gtting on stage befre a paying audience to make a political statement.

In the US or in Europe.

Loud and raunchy or loud and plain.

Pandeing to the audience or pandering to the audience.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Compare what exactly? 
Gtting on stage befre a paying audience to make a political statement.

In the US or in Europe.

Pandeing to the audience or pandering to the audience.

Ahhhhhhh, gotcha.  Thanks Plane     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

yellow_crane

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 08:59:45 PM »

So he is less vunerable than the Dixie Chicks were?

I suppose you may have a good point there , the demographic that listens to Ted Nugent will not feel betrayed by this display of pique , they may reward him.

I always thought Ted Nugent killed little mammels with a bow and arrow.

Turns out he does, but he also uses an arrow to pick his teeth after he eats them raw.

You have to go a long way to find someone as despicable as Ted Nugest.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 12:20:24 AM »
Nugent has a different fan base than the Chicks did. He also has a talk show so people are used to him "expressing his opinions" strongly.

And it would be a bit odd for the people who thought the treatment of the Chicks was so unfair to demand censure of Nugent.

Kind of a Catch -22.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 01:34:57 AM »
Seems to me this is less like the Dixie Chicks and more like the columnist who wondered where all the assassins of presidents have gone at the end of a column complaining about President Bush.

Who takes Ted Nugent seriously anyway?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:52:31 AM »
It's OK if you're a Republican, yes?   
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 12:03:48 PM »

What's OK?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 12:59:45 PM »
My question as well.  Lanya?

crocat

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
Compare what exactly? 

Getting on stage before a paying audience to make a political statement.

In the US or in Europe.

Pandering to the audience or pandering to the audience.

That said... the comparison is that the Dixie Chicks somehow misjudged their 'real' audience.  After doing so, they tended to whine and then put on the air of not really caring.  Something that their 'history' didn't hold up.

Ted has spent his whole career with his middle finger in the air.  How can you punish someone that tells you repeatedly that they don't really care what you think?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 02:16:42 PM »

Taking Ted Nugent seriously is okay if you're Republican? Um, I don't really know. Do political parties really need to be involved in that discussion?

I guess I don't understand why anyone gives a flying fish what Ted Nugent thinks. Is he a relevant contributor to the public debate? I had the impression he was a "Hey! Look at me! Ain't I weird!" sort of fellow. Was I wrong? I was under the impression once that the Dixie Chicks were a girl band of some sort, but I found out later they were an influential, anti-American rebel group out to undermine the troops' morale with songs like "Travellin' Soldier". So I could be wrong about Ted Nugent too... but I doubt it.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--