Author Topic: war steps on the toes of culture  (Read 362 times)

Cynthia

war steps on the toes of culture
« on: August 26, 2007, 04:29:37 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_People

It has occurred to me as I reviisit the past I  celebrated and then endured and then escaped.....in the early to mid 70's.
that there were also many good times that are now coming forth of the days  that I lived with my ex husband, Amir.
Although he told me that the name, Amir means King..and that I remember well....now, I see  as it turns out the word means Prince(emir ameer etc). But he was always one to flex his pinky! ha!(not funny actually) Still would love to find out if the fist thing is true. I bet it is.
anyway....he also told me something else that I am recalling in my look back into that world of our lives together in such heady times for the nation of Iran.
He told me that Iranians are part of the Aryan race. There are some people who are not  even aware  that the Persian is not of Arabic decent. It reminds me of my own State in teh the state of things.....There are some people who live in America that still do not know that New Mexico is part of the country.  ha!

I googled several things about Persia today, albeit a quick Wikipedia, and  I found fascinating information. I recently took a Linguistics course through the College of Santa Fe, and this was indeed an enlightening journey for me. The language, alphabet and culture all coupled with a rich history has made Iran, Persia, Arabic nations all a wonderful place to "google". It's too bad that the globe is in such fear of the Middle Easterner. The fear should only lie in the fanatic islamic factions.

Fear of the Iranian in power...yes, I am one of those who is afraid of what could happen, don't get me wrong...however, there is indeed another side to the Iranian and Persian, and Kurd, and Jordanian etc
The shame is most of us can not see the diverse richness in the trees of the middle easterner.... The world today might hate Americans, but they are also not capable of taking part in the culture/food/celebrations of the people of the middle east because they(we) are so focused on the reality that is war; Bombs, mass murders on all sides, GI'S who are suffereing and all the rest. Not that we should not focus on that horrific part of our history. Of course. It sucks!
The "war" has over shadowed the magnificent beliefs, customs, practices of the people of the middle east.

I am glad I had the chance to be married to Amir, as crazy as that sounds. I learned a lot about the culture, even though the attitude towards women 'in general" was not anything like I had experienced or witnessed in any venue of the American male......I am also trying not to  broad stroke the Iranian male, either. Resentment on the part of the fundamentalist in any nation? I suppose there is a depth which can not be explained. The depth of hate in the White Ayran Race boggles the mind, as well.

I learned so very much about the history of the world when I was in the culure of Persia. 
There's power in knowledge of course, and if there is one thing that will save a globe it is to "own" and act upon the knowledge that we are all connected to a thread of some sort in this world.
I wonder if we will ever be able to "post" or "blog" the exciting things we share as people on the globe.  Simple and basic attitude?........this is true, but if you take the time to look into the history of a people and the depth beyond politics, there's a world out there and a culture that is being killed off not just by IED'S. . . but by ignorance and refusal to truly understand and celebrate. New Deal....Roosevelt? Politics and growth? When was the last time we really witnessed such a growth.
I know the Shah was a capitalist pig in his own way, but the nation of Iran before 1980 was at least witnessing a postive change for women in Iran. I remember that the women in Iran during the 70's were beginning to form a more perfect union, until they were put back into their place.
Are human beings headed for a myopic view of the world because we are under a "gun"? Have been ever since the dawn of the gun. Iron age zealots brought the gun to Ireland many moons ago when the nomads of Ireland were a peaceful people farmers and such. They weren't called Irish, but nomads. History is healing, I think.

Healing? Growth potential? Sure even the earth shows it in her glory.
Perhaps we can too. Sparkles of plant growth after a blast of a volcano. Hopefully we can foresee the nuclear destuction and work on what we already have...quality people in the world today....."Peoples" of the world united to find the stem of growth.

Cynthia

Re: war steps on the toes of culture
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:23:18 PM »
Iron age zealots brought the gun to Ireland many moons ago when the nomads of Ireland were a peaceful people farmers and such. They weren't called Irish, but nomads.

I meant to say the Celts invasion of Ireland brought about "weaponry" not "guns" per say. I use the Irish people as an example of a time when peaceful farmers, nomads and pagans lived and flourished without "the gun". By no means did "the gun" see it's first buckshot in Ireland.
The Celts were indeed a people of might throughout the region, not just in the land that is IRELAND.

Ahh the nomads of the past, both in Iran and Ireland and native American Indians.
We could learn so much from the early peoples of our globe and yet, somehow we repeat the bloodlust of war over and over again.....whether it was the Iron age of long years past or the Nuclear age of today..... weapons of mass destruction in any event continue to be the most notorious part of our culture today, sad to say.