Author Topic: am I doing the math wrong?  (Read 2149 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
am I doing the math wrong?
« on: August 29, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »
http://health.msn.com/healthnews/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100168613&GT1=10316

for the past few years businesses are saying one of the biggest expense is health coverage

by law no company has to give any kind of insurance,whatsoever

covering children cost alot more in insurance for the employee

isn`t this predictable less people will be insured as time goes on?
how is this a surprise?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: am I doing the math wrong?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 02:41:56 PM »

True; then again, employees are free to choose other employers, such as those who offer better benefits.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 03:17:52 PM »
TRUE
that`s why companies has insurance now
a co-worker left this firm because another firm offer insurance costing $100  instead of the $350
that it cost here

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:21:14 PM »
TRUE
that`s why companies has insurance now
a co-worker left this firm because another firm offer insurance costing $100  instead of the $350
that it cost here

That's the equivalent of a $3,000 a year raise, or (assuming a 40 hour work week) $1.50 / hr.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:36:23 PM »
law firms are generally 37.5 hr. days to cut the ot pay
and salery for the rest
bonuses are cut-throat situations.
the smart firms pay the staff bonuses first so that the attorneys HAS to perform or not get the big bonuses.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:45:18 PM »

True; then again, employees are free to choose other employers, such as those who offer better benefits.

That works really great in a good job market like the 90s where companies were begging for employees. It hasn't always worked out so well in recent years. (I acknowledge that I have a Michigan perspective, which is one of the most unhealthy job markets.)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 04:15:27 PM »
also benefits can be a trap
my company has some of the highest benefits package in the country.
meaning I can`t quite til i get a job with a seriously bigger pay.
I`m talking at least 7k more
I`ved gotten several job offers that paid more but the benefits we`re so standardly small it would overall mean losing money
full med/dental
profit sharing
10k toward house purchase
corporate discounts
$150/month travel expense
that`s just stuff on top of my head
I can`t leave.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 04:17:23 PM »
That works really great in a good job market like the 90s where companies were begging for employees. It hasn't always worked out so well in recent years. (I acknowledge that I have a Michigan perspective, which is one of the most unhealthy job markets.)

Virtually every business in this area is hiring. There are lots of other areas where businesses are hiring.

If you CHOOSE to live in an area that has a poor job market, you have made a choice that limits other choices.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 04:19:21 PM »
Virtually every business in this area is hiring. There are lots of other areas where businesses are hiring.

If you CHOOSE to live in an area that has a poor job market, you have made a choice that limits other choices.

What types of businesses, what sectors, what are the costs of living comparisons, what are the starting salaries, are they willing to hire experienced professionals or only entry level employees, etc?

There is more to it than simple unemployment rates.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 04:21:20 PM »
What types of businesses, what sectors, what are the costs of living comparisons, what are the starting salaries, are they willing to hire experienced professionals or only entry level employees, etc?

Well, this area is mostly banks and other service industries (trucking, food & retail, entertainment). There are plenty of entry level and experienced positions. And NC is fairly low on the cost of living scale.

Regardless, the are many jobs in many places around the country.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:23:23 PM by Amianthus »

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 04:23:18 PM »

Well, this area is mostly banks and other service industries (trucking, food & retail, entertainment). There are plenty of entry level and experienced positions. And NC is fairly low on the cost of living scale.

But the pay is likely lower (and has to be weighed against the cost of living) and if one is not in the banking or service profession they'll have to start at entry level most likely.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 04:24:43 PM »
But the pay is likely lower (and has to be weighed against the cost of living) and if one is not in the banking or service profession they'll have to start at entry level most likely.

Not necessarily. I got a pay raise moving to NC from MN, and went to a lower cost of living at the same time.

yellow_crane

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »

Not necessarily. I got a pay raise moving to NC from MN, and went to a lower cost of living at the same time.

It's all about choice.

I myself would have eschewed the salary and ignored the cost of living.   What would be important to me would be to live in the clear, cool North, and especially Minn., a metropolis of free intellect, and not to have my brain eaten away by the unforgiving climatic and cultural heat and the glib, ubiquitous hatreds of the various species of Pompitus Crackerii.

Besides that, girls in Minn. can answer a question in a complete sentence, and not some bouncy--spirited, superficial gibberish.  Any carpetbagger (none are exempt from this Southern calumny) soon learns that, when you take away all the victimy Dixie rants, what is left is degenerate gibberish draped with spanish moss.

They are much like the Jews, except that the Jews can feel real guilt, and have cred in their loss, while the South continues to choose to remain in the woodshed, missing supper with the family, defiant and unwilling to get over it.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 11:29:14 AM »
Besides that, girls in Minn. can answer a question in a complete sentence, and not some bouncy--spirited, superficial gibberish.

ROFLMAO

Maybe. Precious few that I met could.

And there are more bigots in Minnesota than in NC, in my experience. They're just bigoted against native Americans rather than blacks.

Guess that's ok in some minds...

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 02:04:23 PM »
Besides that, girls in Minn. can answer a question in a complete sentence, and not some bouncy--spirited, superficial gibberish.  Any carpetbagger (none are exempt from this Southern calumny) soon learns that, when you take away all the victimy Dixie rants, what is left is degenerate gibberish draped with spanish moss.

Where do you all get this garbage?

Seriously. Some of these antiquated views of the South are truly disgusting.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster