Author Topic: U.S. Attorney Gets 28 months Prison For Aiding terrorist.  (Read 27378 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: U.S. Attorney Gets 28 months Prison For Aiding terrorist.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 12:37:21 PM »
Neverthe less my punishment , should I ever fall into the hands of the Al Queda , would definately be death.

I wonder if the Prosicutors could appeal the sentance of this lawyer?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 01:19:24 PM »
<<So if we had sentenced her to a much harsher sentance what would be your grounds for complaint?>>
Lack of balance.  She had a long record of helping the poor and the underprivileged and the people who might have gotten killed in Egypt due to her phone call were the supporters of a rotten U.S. puppet government torture state.  Basically most of them would have probably deserved to die anyway.  So she spends a professional lifetime helping the poor and the underprivileged and maybe abets the killing of a few scumbags, you gotta balance it all out as the judge undoubtedly did, and give her a modest sentence.  I don't think you can ignore a lifetime of good work when you are sentencing for one relatively trivial misdeed.

Moral relativism at its quintessential worst      :(
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 01:43:07 PM »
<<I wonder if the Prosicutors could appeal the sentance of this lawyer?>>

In the Toronto Star article reporting the sentence, the prosecutors were "considering" an appeal.  I think the trial judge got it right the first time. 

The_Professor

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 03:13:55 PM »
I concur with Sirs. Good ole moral relativism. I am sure the judge considered her many years of "good acts" in the decision.

She should go to jail for a long long time. It will also serve as an example to other traitors.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 04:49:10 PM »
<<Good ole moral relativism.>>

Worked for Lt. Calley.  And he didn't even have any prior good deeds.

With all due respect, your country RUNS on moral relativism.  Terrorism is bad.  Unless the terrorist is a Cuban exile and the victims were passengers on a Cuban airline.  Torture and rape rooms are bad.  Unless done by American proxies in secret prisons.  United Nations resolutions must be upheld by force if necessary.  Unless they apply to the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza.  The list goes on.  And on.  And on.

Every time I hear one of you American conservatives spout off about "moral relativism" it's a bloody wonder I don't bust a gut laughing.  Go easy on me.  Please.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
<<Good ole moral relativism.>>

Worked for Lt. Calley.  And he didn't even have any prior good deeds.

With all due respect, your country RUNS on moral relativism.  Terrorism is bad.  Unless the terrorist is a Cuban exile and the victims were passengers on a Cuban airline.  Torture and rape rooms are bad.  Unless done by American proxies in secret prisons.  United Nations resolutions must be upheld by force if necessary.  Unless they apply to the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza.  The list goes on.  And on.  And on.

Every time I hear one of you American conservatives spout off about "moral relativism" it's a bloody wonder I don't bust a gut laughing.  Go easy on me.  Please.

"...Just as you enthusiastically support the killing of the enemies of your cause, so she (I would presume) with equal enthusiasm would support the killing of the enemies of hers."

We don't need to go too easy on you , you can point out the mote in our eye as much as you want .

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
<<We don't need to go too easy on you , you can point out the mote in our eye as much as you want .>>

Thanks, I feel better already.

Hey, there's a mote in your eye.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 11:33:49 PM »
<<Good ole moral relativism.>>Worked for Lt. Calley.  And he didn't even have any prior good deeds.

Like Larry, you might have a leg to stand on if you actually had some valid references in the support of Terrorism by Americans vs support of 1 supposed terrorist.  You might have a leg to stand on if you had widespread support of torture & rape at the hands of Americans vs some implied support via some 3rd hand proxie.  You might have a leg to stand on if Israel had taken land simply to oppress its Arab neighbors vs taking it in defense of their very existance.

"Might" being the key word
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 11:50:10 PM »
<<Like Larry, you might have a leg to stand on if you actually had some valid references in the support of Terrorism by Americans vs support of 1 supposed terrorist. >>

Americans support terrorism wherever and whenever it suits them.  The contras in Nicaragua, the Cuban exiles who blew an airliner out of the sky, the Taliban in Afghanistan (as long as they were killing Russians.)  They don't call them "terrorists," of course.  They call them "freedom fighters."  I really don't know who they are fooling by this bullshit, except their own infinitely brainwashable couch potatoes who think that the MSM is really bringing them "news."  They sure as hell didn't fool any of their victims, and they don't even fool most of the American people.

<<You might have a leg to stand on if you had widespread support of torture & rape at the hands of Americans vs some implied support via some 3rd hand proxie.>>

Implied support?  I guess the fact that CIA aircraft actually transport the prisoners from Afghanistan and Iraq to the torture chambers is only "implied support" for the proxy torture.  Unless you can prove where the fuel for the blowtorches comes from, it's not real support, I suppose.

<<You might have a leg to stand on if Israel had taken land simply to oppress its Arab neighbors vs taking it in defense of their very existance.>>

Funny how they defended their "very existence" from 1948 till 1968 without the West Bank land but once their armies invaded it, it suddenly became necessary to their "very existence."  That's hilarious. 

P.S. Nobody's buying it.  Least of all the Arabs who are being pushed off their land by settlers, shot at as they try to harvest their crops and denied access to maternity hospitals when their women are in labour.  I have no problem accepting that millions of Americans like you are taken in by this simplistic bullshit, because that's all that your MSM and your sold-out politicians will tell you, but if you really think that the actual victims of your aggression, your torture and your massacres are so dumb that they will believe it too, you are in for a very rude awakening.

larry

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 11:56:49 PM »
Since my name was mentioned in your last post, in a reply to Michaeltee, I guess I can reply. Your request for me and others to produce sources of rape, torture and unlawful detentions is stupid. The sources provided over the past three years is why the approval rating of the Republican controlled congress is at 20% and the approval rating for the president is at 36%.

everyone in the country seemingly got the message except for you sirs. The deference between me and you, sirs, is I'm not afraid to read a conservative publication or watch a conservative news program. I cannot disagree with them if I don't know what they are saying. You disagree with Democrats because Rush Limbaugh or some other hack told you to. It is clear from your post you no longer think for your self, all you do is repeat the conservative spin. You are very close to being brain dead.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 12:02:25 AM »
Since my name was mentioned in your last post, in a reply to Michaeltee, I guess I can reply. Your request for me and others to produce sources of rape, torture and unlawful detentions is stupid.

Your name was used not in requesting examples of rape, but in requesting examples of the continued accusations you keep making.  The "stupid" aspect is in expecting everyne to believe yours and Tee's say so, minus any credible facts or evidence to support the asanine dren you and Tee keep claiming.  As I already asked earlier, does credibility not matter to you folks, in the least??  Just National Enquirer-like accusatory headlines??

larry

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 12:20:39 AM »
It appears the debate of two threads, U.S. Attorney Gets 28 Months and Military Commissions Act of 2006, have merged. My comments about the Military Commissions Act were not accusations, they were reports and I did post a source that infact states that the act in effect does nullify the writ of habeas corpus for U.S. Citizens. In my commentary I said that the policies of the imperial president, George W. Bush now rival the policies of other dictatorships of the World War II period. The act was signed into law only yesterday, and there are sure to be battles in the Supreme Court over it. I'll keep you posted, the National Inquire does not report on this type stories.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 12:39:46 AM »
I did post a source that infact states that the act in effect does nullify the writ of habeas corpus for U.S. Citizens.

You posted a link to a search that returns a list of liberal blogs.

Hardly what most people would consider a "source" in a debate.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 12:46:37 AM »
...I did post a source that infact states that the act in effect does nullify the writ of habeas corpus for U.S. Citizens...

Hardly.  Try posting actual stories/reports of ACTUAL events.  Not searches of BLOGs that simply repeat your "say so".  If there' was just 1 example of this supposed egregious throwing folks into jail for simply bashing Bush, the Mainscream media would pounce on it like a lion to a 3 legged calf.  Care for a do-over yet?

larry

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 12:47:13 AM »
Actually, I posted many sources:

US Senate votes to rollback habeas corpus, use torture, and provide immunity for US officials from torture prosecutionSeptember 29, 2006, the US Senate agreed to the Military Commissions Act of 2006 which gives US President George Bush unprecedented power to detain and try people as part of their “War on Terror.” President Bush is then expected to sign the Act into law. Broadly, the new Act does 3 things:

Strips the right of detainees to habeas corpus (the traditional right of detainees to challenge their detention);
Gives the US President the power to detain indefinitely anyone—US or foreign nationals, from within the US, and from abroad—it deems to have provided material support to anti-US hostilities, and even use secret and coerced evidence (i.e. through use of torture) to try detainees who will be held in secret US military prisons;
Gives US officials immunity from prosecution for torturing detainees that were captured before the end of 2005 by US military and CIA.
The bill was passed by the Senate sixty five votes in favor, thirty four against. Twelve Democrats joined the Republican majority. The House passed virtually the same legislation a few days earlier on Wednesday, 27 September.

The New York Times noted the far-reaching powers the Act will give the president, and other top officials observing that, “Rather than reining in the formidable presidential powers … asserted since Sept. 11, 2001, the law gives some of those powers a solid statutory foundation. In effect it allows the president to identify enemies, imprison them indefinitely and interrogate them—albeit with a ban on the harshest treatment—beyond the reach of the full court reviews traditionally afforded criminal defendants and ordinary prisoners.” Furthermore, not only does the Act allow the president to determine the meaning and application of the Geneva Conventions, “it also strips the courts of jurisdiction to hear challenges to his interpretation.”

This can have far-reaching consequences. For example, Amnesty International says the legislation will lead to violations of international law and standards and accuses the US Congress of “failing human rights” by voting for this Act and says it “deeply regrets that Congress failed to resist this executive pressure and instead has given a green light for violations of the USA’s international obligations.”

The international human rights organization expands on the above 3 points (see previous link) and is summarized here:

Striping habeas corpus and other fundamental rights
On this issue, Amnesty international notes that the Act will:

Strip the US courts of jurisdiction to hear or consider habeas corpus appeals challenging the lawfulness or conditions of detention of anyone held in US custody as an “enemy combatant.”
Prohibit any person from invoking the Geneva Conventions or their protocols as a source of rights in any action in any US court.
Permit civilians captured far from any battlefield to be tried by military commission rather than civilian courts, contradicting international standards and case law.
Limit the right of charged detainees to be represented by counsel of their choosing.