Author Topic: Whose Fault Is This?  (Read 1100 times)

gipper

Whose Fault Is This?
« on: September 08, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
In a documentary film at a conference I just attended, the directors reveal that 75% of New Jersey's prison population (70% nationally) are functionally illiterate. Poignantly and profoundly, the film tracks a number o inmates at the maximum security prison through their educational enlightenment; one fellow, for example, repeated the second grade course five times. Others had the damnedest time distinguishing, for example, "b's" from "p's," to their chagrin and social retardation. But the most moving aspect of the picture was the at times bright-eyed and trusting zest the inmates took to their chance to succeed, often revealing childish hopes and enthusiasms captivating for their winsomeness, only too often to dissolve into disappointment and dejection in the face of a hopeless task, like glimpsing a frbidden promised land. These frustrations are palpable at times, never more so than before intervention (arrest and corrections), as illustrated in the story of the man who couldn't spell "murder," the crime he was serving his life for.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Whose Fault Is This?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:21:14 AM »
Maybe we need a 'No felon left behind' act...
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »
In a documentary film at a conference I just attended, the directors reveal that 75% of New Jersey's prison population (70% nationally) are functionally illiterate. Poignantly and profoundly, the film tracks a number o inmates at the maximum security prison through their educational enlightenment; one fellow, for example, repeated the second grade course five times. Others had the damnedest time distinguishing, for example, "b's" from "p's," to their chagrin and social retardation. But the most moving aspect of the picture was the at times bright-eyed and trusting zest the inmates took to their chance to succeed, often revealing childish hopes and enthusiasms captivating for their winsomeness, only too often to dissolve into disappointment and dejection in the face of a hopeless task, like glimpsing a frbidden promised land. These frustrations are palpable at times, never more so than before intervention (arrest and corrections), as illustrated in the story of the man who couldn't spell "murder," the crime he was serving his life for.

Is there a coreelaton between prison populations and educational attainment?

gipper

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »
At least for the population studied here (state prisoners), there seems to be a direct correlation, though I'm not sure statistically you can state it as such, or whether the filmmakers drew that conclusion themselves. The illiteracy rate is pretty staggering; the missing variable, among others, is the rate of illiteracy in the general population.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 10:21:06 AM »
So, then, can we assume that getting a college degree will dramatically increase your chances of staying out of jail?

Ha! Sounds like the colleges would be promoting this!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:24:20 PM by Mr_Perceptive »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »
well
if you think about it what kind of jobs does not require filling out and application.
at least immigrants had a network to referals to get people work
like farming or sewing

crocat

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 02:32:54 PM »

Is there a coreelaton between prison populations and educational attainment?

I am sure there is a direct correlation between the two....

I would say

1. parents didn't put enough importance on the fact that if you don't get an education... odds are you would be at the bottom of the monetary food chain.
2. those kids that did show up were too busy goofing off and being cool because.....wait for it....parents didn't put enough importance
3.parents didn't teach their children core values prior to shipping them off to the public school system to babysit

It's the same ole same ole... people trying to take short cuts and easy ways out.

Can't be done.

Personally I would not put the sole responsibility on our educational system when it comes to educating our kids....we need to step up and pick up the slack.. and I don't care if it means growing an extra set of arms.