Author Topic: Making Mullahs Nervous  (Read 1221 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Making Mullahs Nervous
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:35:27 AM »

Two US carrier-strike groups are bound for Persian Gulf region, bringing number back to three

September 10, 2007

USS Truman Strike Group heading for Gulf

Military sources report that from the third week of July, the only American strike force- carrier in the Persian Gulf-Arabian Sea region was the USS Enterprise. By the end of September, it will be joined by the USS Nimitz and the USS Truman Strike Groups. Sources note that with their arrival, three American naval, air and marine forces will again confront Iranian shores at a time of crisis in the military and civilian leadership of Iran - signaled by the abrupt change of Revolutionary Guards Corps commanders, rising Israel-Syrian tensions and a troubled situation in Lebanon.

The Nimitz left the region to take part in large-scale Malabar 2007 II exercise with five Asian nations, termed by Indian military observers ?the first step towards establishing Asian NATO. Since the maneuver ended Friday, Sept. 7, the Nimitz has been on its way back to the Persian Gulf. The Truman group, made up of 12 warships and submarines, including a nuclear sub, with 7,600 sailors, air crew and marines aboard, has just completed a long series of training exercises and is preparing to set out for its new posting. It carries eight squadrons of fighters, bombers and spy planes.

The Truman force's battle cry is: Give 'em hell.

The combined naval strike groups include the Monterey-CG 61 guided missile cruiser, the USS Barry DDG 52 and USS Mason-DDG 87 guided missile destroyers, the USS Albuquerque-SSN 706 fast nuclear strike submarine and the combat logistical USNS Arctic T-AOE 8.

In the last week of August, the USS Kearsarge Expeditionary Strike Group took up position opposite the Lebanese coast amid trepidation over the September presidential election. Military sources reported that aboard the group's vessels are members of the 22nds Marine special operations-capable Expeditionary Unit, who are ready to execute landings on Lebanese beaches.

(source: e-mail) 
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Mr_Perceptive

Re: Making Mullahs Nervous
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:48:15 AM »
I am in the area now. It is night now and a grand sight to see. More later.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:31:06 PM by Mr_Perceptive »

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 01:31:25 PM »
Why would this make Iran nervous?

I'm asking sincerely.

Clearly we are not doing well in occupying Iraq. I don't see where Iran would be extremely worried about us. The most radical Islamists would love nothing more than some bombing by the United States. Then they can point to the U.S. and tell their people that they were correct all along.

Throw in some "collateral damage" and you've got a win-win situation for the radicals. They know we cannot invade and do any real damage. Blowing up some facilities really isn't a huge deal to them.

We bomb Iran and we'll set back the moderating forces there for many more years.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:50:13 PM »
This is one of the largest armadas that has been assembled during non-wartime in recent history. It can be stated, in a non-classified fashion, that all are fully-armed in all respects, a rare occurrence these days. That is why.

Let's see. You have a few problems, here and there, with your neighbor. One day., you observe, on HIS side of the fence, several of the most dispicable and fierce looking persons, all looking with interest in your direction. Would YOU be somewhat "concerned"? You bet.

And blowing up facilities that have been in the making for literally decades while also providing impetus into the future for your nation is indeed a "big deal".

gipper

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Once again we are presented with a Middle East circumstance that does not easily dissolve into emotional projections of the tigers or the Lambs within us. The situation is very complicated, moreso because of a singular lack of vision (and success in Iraq) by the current administration, which seems destined to wangle its way to another shootout. That tragic subtext aside, there ARE real world concerns about a radicalizing and nuclear-arming Iran that should cause the region and the world great pause. A major, almost precipitous change in the balance of power in the region could directly endanger all the good the State of Israel stands for (beyond JS's criticisms); threaten the Sunni states in proximity, perhaps precipitating a more violent schism; disrupt the lifeblood flow of oil from the region, without which people are displaced and die in the West; and aid geometrically the cause of violent jihad, if the sectarian strife can be controlled, and even if not. Balanced against this is the prospect of a New Cold War, under an entirely new balance of power, and the need for a statesman or staeswoman to see our way through the shoals to ultimately make the conflict one of ideology: modernization versus medeival mentalities armed with nukes. In this dance to the moment of truth, Bush is simply inadequate to the job, except to saber-rattle, a necessary but incomplete response. Hurry up 2008. By then, our God and Allah willing, an intelligent and productive national debate on the matter will have ensued, the kind Bush shies from when he is drumming up a war.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 01:58:03 PM »
This is one of the largest armadas that has been assembled during non-wartime in recent history. It can be stated, in a non-classified fashion, that all are fully-armed in all respects, a rare occurrence these days. That is why.

Let's see. You have a few problems, here and there, with your neighbor. One day., you observe, on HIS side of the fence, several of the most dispicable and fierce looking persons, all looking with interest in your direction. Would YOU be somewhat "concerned"? You bet.

And blowing up facilities that have been in the making for literally decades while also providing impetus into the future for your nation is indeed a "big deal".

You've failed to answer any real question. Your post amounts to a lot of words combined to provide nothing of substance in this case.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 02:14:34 PM »

You've failed to answer any real question. Your post amounts to a lot of words combined to provide nothing of substance in this case.
I was attempting to paint a picture where there might be a reason for the deployment. And possible reactions from Iran. And others.

Knowing an armada is at your doorstep can be somewhat nerve-wracking, regardless what the eventual outcome may be.

Saber rattling does, on occasion,work. So does 1237 cruise missiles, 34 bunker-busters, and 451 other ordnance, all fired four minutes of one another.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 07:33:14 PM by Mr_Perceptive »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 07:53:45 PM »
re: "Why would this make Iran nervous?"

Are you really going to attempt to say that this move does not make the Iranian Mullahs nervous?
How out of touch with reality must you be?

Would you not feel nervous if it was the reverse? Would any government not be concerned?

Our nation would "not be concerned" if Iran had a much more powerful military than we do and suddenly an enormous Iranian Navy armada including 3 aircraft carriers, battle ships, and destroyers armed to the teeth, with bombs, cruise missles, nukes, and thousands of elite Republican Guards, and hundreds of attack aircraft arrived to closely patrol the california coast?

Get real.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 11:16:33 PM »
Just sounds to me like a whole lotta totally innocent people are gonna die horribly for absolutely no good reason.  Mostly women, children and elders.  By comparison, any amount of good that comes out of this will be minuscule.

This guy is a madman.  So are the  Ayatollahs and a worse bunch of evil bastards you will not find.  But Bush is far more dangerous because he's packing a lot more heat.  He's gonna create a heap of human misery so huge that all the Ayatollahs working for a hundred years couldn't match it.