Author Topic: Rude Student Tasered After Asking Kerry A Question  (Read 14072 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rude Student Tasered After Asking Kerry A Question
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:15:20 AM »
Maybe the guy was rude.  Maybe he wasn't.  Maybe he was an asshole.  I don't care.  They could have carried him out on over their heads.

Knees in the neck?  Tasering?  Is that appropriate?  I don't think so.

In an age where no one leads mobs in the streets, could this have been a nation of sheeps' Crispus Attucks?

Possibly.  I know I believe so.

This is not a Democrat v Republican incident.  This is not a liberal v conservative issue.  This is a ruling class v ruled class issue.  Our leaders are now kings with mercenary armies.  Those armies are made up of men and women who fear not getting their check, who fear being seen as weak.  They will do as their told by the kings till they grow weary of the kings' bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Rude Student Tasered After Asking Kerry A Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:30:35 AM »

Maybe the guy was rude.

Maybe?

Maybe he was an asshole.

Yeah, he was.

They could have carried him out on over their heads.

Which I would bet, were I a betting man, is harder than it sounds with an unwilling person, as the guy in the blue shirt certainly seemed to be.

Knees in the neck?  Tasering?  Is that appropriate?

No, it really wasn't. But then, if the guy had exited when the security guards first came to him, he would have avoided all that. I'm not excusing what the guards did, I just think the guy should have known he was not going to be treated nicely. Then again, maybe he did.

In an age where no one leads mobs in the streets, could this have been a nation of sheeps' Crispus Attucks?

Um, no.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 01:34:46 AM »
I'm he's doing fine in Room 101.

Did you hear that chocolate rations are up Dancing With The Stars starts again next week?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 01:40:03 AM »
I think you trying to make me out to be a government apologist is really, really funny. No, seriously, I'm laughing. I guess you missed the whole trusting the F.B.I. conversation I had with BT. Let's just say that I might partially disagree with you on this one, but that doesn't mean I'm sticking up for the government.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »
I think you trying to make me out to be a government apologist is really, really funny. No, seriously, I'm laughing. I guess you missed the whole trusting the F.B.I. conversation I had with BT. Let's just say that I might partially disagree with you on this one, but that doesn't mean I'm sticking up for the government.

Sorry, I did miss that conversation.  It is good to hear you understanding that trust is lost between the people and the government in this country.

I understand you're not sticking up for the government and I appreciate that we are in partial agreement.  I will say that I view this incident and many others across the country for the last decade or so as representative of that lost trust between the people and its government.  When a man is dragged, pleading for help, from an open forum by a cadre of "officers" after rudely asking questions of an elected official and NO ONE INTERVENES or even simply asks what's going on, then we've got problems in this country.

Call me crazy, but I won't be surprised when we never hear of this again in the mainstream media.  This guy will be disappeared, I fear.

Further, I hope to see more people demanding answers to questions and when they are tasered, I hope I'm not there and have to ask myself if I want to get involved.  Because, I'm afraid I probably will.

I propose that those seeking answers to these questions that are deemed "kooky", "outrageous" or "paranoid" form into cadres of their own and when one is arrested and removed, another simply go to the mic and ask the same questions and when that person is removed, the cycle continue as long as it can.  That way, if one is disappeared then several will have to be and that is harder to hide than just one.

Although, lots were killed to cover up the JFK assassination/coup de tat so I'm not sure anyone will believe ten "conspiracy theorists" were "killed" or "disappeared".

yellow_crane

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »
Maybe the guy was rude.  Maybe he wasn't.  Maybe he was an asshole.  I don't care.  They could have carried him out on over their heads.

Knees in the neck?  Tasering?  Is that appropriate?  I don't think so.

Possibly.  I know I believe so.

This is not a Democrat v Republican incident.  This is not a liberal v conservative issue.  This is a ruling class v ruled class issue.  Our leaders are now kings with mercenary armies.  Those armies are made up of men and women who fear not getting their check, who fear being seen as weak.  They will do as their told by the kings till they grow weary of the kings' bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE

I think avoiding the word "rude" would be wise, since it can degenerate into a thousand entities, most of which would have to do with "political correctness." 

If there is to be any change from what we have experienced with the Bush Administration, it would have to include a meaningful and courageous confrontation of "political correctness."   This is true because political correctness allows them to prune and edit and censor whatever they deem harmful to their cause.  When I say 'them,' I mean the corporate entities, from where it originated.

The guy simply asked Kerry why he did not challenge the Florida election. 

What spoke volumes was Kerry's complete silence; moreover, he looked strained and impatient, as if he were waiting for the appointed thugs to carry the guy out.

Now I ask you . . . why would Kerry avoid that question? 

Why has he always avoided that question?

Had he answered it meaningfully before this, there would be no need to have to shout it out.

The guy is a hero, and I doubt any hero has much of a priority to avoid being "rude."

Rudeness is forced upon us when we are so controlled so that we cannot function in an appropriate dissention.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 03:22:33 PM »
When a man is dragged, pleading for help, from an open forum by a cadre of "officers" after rudely asking questions of an elected official and NO ONE INTERVENES or even simply asks what's going on, then we've got problems in this country.

It seems to me the folks who were there knew what was going on, and didn't have to ask. They probably saw the guy being an asshole, refusing to leave peacefully, and getting what he deserved. Why should they intervene?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Richpo64

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »
>>Call me crazy ... <<

You're crazy.

Richpo64

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »
This guy reminds me of Mike! I'll bet he'd be EXACTLY like this guy.

Anyway, I can't see why they reacted this way. This guy is a typical Democrat at a Democrat function.

It looks like liberals have created a monster. People actually believe the lies they've been telling!

:D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 06:27:23 PM by Richpo64 »

Richpo64

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
Florida College Student Who Was Tasered, Arrested at John Kerry Campus Forum Is Released From Jail
Tuesday , September 18, 2007

A University of Florida student who was arrested and Tasered during a forum featuring Sen. John Kerry touched off a debate about campus free speech and raised questions about whether campus police used excessive force.

A judge released Andrew Meyer, 21, a student at the University of Florida, from jail Tuesday on his own recognizance. A phone call seeking comment from Meyer?s attorney, Robert Griscti, was not returned.

A video of the incident shows Meyer, a journalism student, trying repeatedly and heatedly to ask Kerry why he conceded the 2004 election after multiple reports of disenfranchisement of black voters and rigged electronic-voting machines.

Meyer was asked to leave the microphone after his allotted time was up but he refused. Campus police officers responded and tried to pull Meyer away in a struggle that lasted several seconds.

In the clip, officers force Meyer down as the student says he will walk out of the auditorium if officers let him go. They warn him that he will be Tasered ? an electric shock weapon used by police to subdue suspects. Meyer can be heard crying out, "Don't Tase me, bro, don't Tase me" before the electric shock is applied. He is heard howling in pain.

As police intervened, Kerry is be heard saying: "That's all right. Let me answer his question." While Meyers was being dragged off, Kerry said, "Unfortunately he's not available to come up here and swear me in as president."

Two campus officers have been placed on paid administrative leave, University of Florida President J. Bernard Machen said in a statement released Tuesday afternoon.

"Administrators and police officials plan to analyze the incident and conduct an internal review and will consider changing protocols in response to this incident, if necessary," Machen said.

Kerry's office released a statement saying he was not aware of the severity of the police response.

"In 37 years of public appearances, through wars, protests and highly emotional events, I have never had a dialogue end this way," he said in the statement. "I believe I could have handled the situation without interruption, but again I do not know what warnings or other exchanges transpired between the young man and the police prior to his barging to the front of the line and their intervention.

"I asked the police to allow me to answer the question and was in the process of answering him when he was taken into custody," Kerry said. "I was not aware that a Taser was used until after I left the building.

"I hope that neither the student nor any of the police were injured," he continued. "I regret enormously that a good healthy discussion was interrupted."

Some experts believe Meyer could claim the use of excessive force in the incident.

?I would find it highly likely that he is going to sue,? said Greg Lukianoff, president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a free-speech group.

Karen Conti, an attorney in Chicago, said Meyer has a good argument for excessive force since officers Tasered him when he was under control.

?I think the police officers were probably embarrassed that this was going on," Conti said. "I think they weren?t expecting anything like this and I think they overreacted."

The videotape could help prove excessive force, Lukianoff said.

?One weapon in combating campus abuses is to show the abuses in the light of day,? Lukianoff said.

But in a juror's eyes, the video might hurt ? not help ? Meyer?s case, Conti said.

?There?s going to be a lot of jurors who are going to say, ?You know what? That kid asked for it,'? Conti said.

The university launched an internal investigation and also requested the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to review the incident, seeking all facts before coming to a conclusion.

?It's easy to look at the video and maybe arrive at a conclusion quickly,? said Steve Orlando, a spokesman for the University of Florida.

The Florida chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union called the incident "disturbing" and awaited the conclusion of the investigation.

"People have a reasonable expectation to ask questions in a public setting ? even if they are aggressive and some disagree with their position ? that is free speech, plain and simple," Howard Simon, ACLU of Florida executive director, said in a statement.

Police are recommending a felony charge for disrupting a public event. Prosecutors will make the call.

Students held a protest rally Tuesday afternoon, walking to the university police department on campus.

Orlando said the university welcomes student free speech, but asks them to do it peacefully.

?Students have every right to go out and express themselves, that?s what they?re doing and they have every right to do it," Orlando said. "We want to accommodate them.?

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »
rude-abrupt and unpleasent
abrupt is a action so it`s preventable
unpleasent is subjective so maybe considered unpreventable
meaning rude is possibly one of the most ill-conceived word used today.
if one must accused somebody rude
he or she must provide why and offer suggestion how not to be rude.

I say this because one of my pet peeves is being called rude followed by you know why

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 08:30:23 PM »
Of course they used excessive force. He was no threat to Kerry, only an embarrassment.

We have a right to question our elected officials about any damn thing we wish.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 09:16:58 PM »
There seems to be a lot of acknowledgement that the guy was an ass.  That's fine.  He barged in and interrupted because he felt he would never get to ask his question.

Yes, his question was long and rambly and loud. 

I've been to LOTS of forums  where some moron has gotten a hold of the mic impolitely but I've never seen one where the guy or gal who did so was politely asked to leave or shut up wound up being dragged kicking and screaming out of the way to be tasered.

Personally, I wish the audience had gotten more involved. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 09:21:05 PM »
Seems to be part of the modus operandi of professional disrupters to not only disrupt but also resist arrest and bask in the mantle of martyrdom.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »
Personally, I wish the audience had gotten more involved. 

One article I read said that part of the audience cheered when he was taken out.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)