Author Topic: Friendlier to Ahmadinejad than to the U.S. military  (Read 9857 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Friendlier to Ahmadinejad than to the U.S. military
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 03:18:31 PM »
Let him speak.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »
The ROTC is not an combatant in the world of ideas, It is a trainer of combatants.

The ROTC trains leaders.

Perhaps that is why they frighten you so.

Of course he is frightened. All panty-waist draft dodgers are. All such people should be incarcerated.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 05:10:53 PM »
Touch? my arse.

Sirs, you are truly a dimbulb.

There is absolutely no reason why a private university should be harrassed in to training officers. There are plenty of places where they can be trained.

The purpose of a university is to provide a forum for the free exchange of ideas. It is not intended to train Amway salesmen, shoe repairmen, vulcanizers, cheesemakers or officers for the war machine unless the directors think it is in the interests of the university.

I actually agreee with the testicle-less draft dodger here. If a college or university does not want ROTC, then sobeit. That is certainly their choice. If Columbia wants to invite the Presidnet of Iran, then fine. If you do not like it, then withdraw your student and/or do not support them financially or in any other way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:17:45 PM by Mr_Perceptive »

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 05:12:44 PM »
<<There has to be a reason for the University and it's supporters to deny students the right to associate as well as enjoy subsidies to the expenses incurred at said institution.>>

Anybody who's denied a presence on the campus can claim that the students are being deprived of the right to associate.  That's a totally bogus argument.  They can associate off-campus with anyone they choose.  The issue is whether or not the campus of a great educational institution should host an organization whose main purpose is not the advancement of knowledge but the anihilation of human life.

<<What would the outcry be if Columbia disallowed a Jewish Student Union center?>>

I'd be delighted, as long as the other religious organizations were banned as well.  Religion belongs in the churches.  The educational institutions should be secular.  Unfortunately they always cave to pressure groups.

"The issue is whether or not the campus of a great educational institution should host an organization whose main purpose is not the advancement of knowledge but the anihilation of human life."

My estemmed Canadina colleague fails to note that this taking of human lifei nwarfare has kept places like Canada an indepedent nation. When it is called for, thne the tkaing of human life is certainly necessary.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The real Mr Perceptivo is...
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »
H00t!

Many moons have passed since the Fascist H00t posted in this forum, Now, it would appear, he has returned.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Mr_Perceptive

Re: The real Mr Perceptivo is...
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 05:19:26 PM »
H00t!

Many moons have passed since the Fascist H00t posted in this forum, Now, it would appear, he has returned.

No, I am still on consultancy in the Middle East, currently on a frigate.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 05:45:38 PM »
Well, when all was well & done, apparently he did a good job in making a complete fool of himself.  I guess there was something positive out of this whole fiasco, after all
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 05:57:28 PM »
<<My estemmed Canadina colleague fails to note that this taking of human lifei nwarfare has kept places like Canada an indepedent nation. When it is called for, thne the tkaing of human life is certainly necessary.>>

I have no problem with any of that.  The military is a tool, and when used in the right hands it can accomplish great things.  I think it's also important to note that when used in the wrong hands it can accomplish terrible things.  I don't fault the tool if someone uses it to loosen my brakes and I crash the car, I blame the guy who used the tool.  If the Army commits atrocities, I blame the perps, but more than them, I blame the commanders from the top down, for it was their responsibility to see that no atrocities occurred on their watch, whatever discipline or exhortations they had to use.  The conduct of the troops reflects on the command structure.

None of the foregoing makes the military in any reasonable sense educational - - they are trained and paid to kill and in my view, however useful their killing skills may be at times, they do not belong on the campus of an institution whose purpose is to educate and hopefully to find ways of improving human life on earth in non-violent, creative and constructive ways.  The army may be at times a necessity, but keeping in mind its ultimate function, it's an ugly necessity and more often than not these days, it's used more to enslave and oppress than it is to liberate.  If Columbia wants to keep its campus used for purely educational purposes and/or culture, I'd say it has every right to keep ROTC off campus.

gipper

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »
Of course he made a fool of himself. There is no lack of smart patriots at Columbia, many of them Jews.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 06:00:13 PM »
<<Well, when all was well & done, apparently he did a good job in making a complete fool of himself.  I guess there was something positive out of this whole fiasco, after all>>

There you go.  He entered the marketplace of ideas but nobody was buying his stuff.  Why anyone would be afraid to let that jackass speak to an educated crowd is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 06:02:59 PM »
Of course he made a fool of himself. There is no lack of smart patriots at Columbia, many of them Jews.

What does patriotism have to do with this?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 06:07:53 PM »
Why anyone would be afraid to let that jackass speak to an educated crowd is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

Because it gives his position & rhetoric a sense of credibility, by providing him such a podium, at what I once considered a prestegious University
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

gipper

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 06:13:34 PM »
It only gives him credibility if you're the shallow, hollow sort who doesn't pay attention.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 06:16:51 PM »
It only gives him credibility if you're the shallow, hollow sort who doesn't pay attention.

No, actually providing the forum at such a location provides him the pseudo credibility, not to mention those that agree with him

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 06:17:17 PM »
I fail to see why Columbia University has lost any prestige because they have permitted Amedinejahd to speak there. This is not the same thing as endorsing him. I think Hitler made Time Magazine's Man of the Year once, not because he was a great guy, but because he was an important one.

I suggest that the elected leader of any nation of 77,000,000 people is sufficiently important to merit a podium at any great university anywhere.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."