Author Topic: Speaking of fantasy worlds  (Read 1890 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Speaking of fantasy worlds
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:09:01 AM »
Monday, September 24, 2007
Bollinger's Fantasy World
Posted by: Hugh Hewitt  at 5:35 PM

First, a timely headline:  "Iran smuggling missiles into Iraq: US military."  The story begins:

Iran is smuggling advanced weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, into Iraq to be used by extremists against American troops, the US military charged on Sunday.
US military spokesman Rear Admiral Mark Fox told reporters in Baghdad that Iran was shifting sophisticated arms such as "RPG-29s, explosively-formed penetrators (EFPs), 240 mm rockets and Misagh-1 surface-to-air missiles" across its borders into Iraq.

An EFP is a feared roadside bomb which when it explodes emits a white-hot slug of molten copper that can cut through the armoured skins of US military vehicles.

Fox reiterated that Iranian national Mahmudi Farhadi, detained on Thursday in the northern province of Sulaimaniyah, is one of the kingpins in the bomb smuggling operations.

"He is a member of the Ramazan Corps, the Quds Force department responsible for all operations in Iraq," Fox said

Against this backdrop, Columbia invites Iran's president to speak.  Columbia University's president, Lee Bollinger, gives a speech stating some things that we all know to be true --that Iran is at war with the West and is a cruelly repressive regime.  Bollinger sits down, and Ahmadinejad schools him, and especially his hapless dean, as well as the audience and the world on how propaganda works.  Some, including Dean Barnett below, express surprise and admiration for the Bollinger remarks.  Talk about the soft bigotry of low expectations!  Bollinger's remarks are the equivalent of the apology offered by the reckless driver to the victim of his recklessness.  The dean's dismal performance afterwards illustrates why this was a fiasco from the start.  The too polite dean dared not cut the fanatic off or press a question as central as Israel's right to exist! 

Meanwhile the networks catering to the jihadists will be slicing and dicing the fanatic's remarks;
- he will earn the admiration of radicals across the Arab world for standing up to the Americans;
- and the repressed people of Iran, especially the students who cannot speak out, the press that is muzzled, and the gays who don't exist will get all of Ahmadinejad and little if any of Bollinger. 

What will they conclude?   Even a cursory examination of The Looming Tower or Inside The Jihad or any of many other serious books on the Islamist war against the West dwells on the crucial role of propaganda in pushing the extremist message, both Salafist and Shia versions.  Today's fiasco has nothing to do with  what Bollinger said, a name little known or long remembered anywhere outside of the upper West Side.  It is about the platform Columbia provided this thug who is actively engaged in the killing of American soldiers and Marines while plotting the extermination of Israel..

The absurd world of the academic left does not seem capable of imagining that skilled propagandists are at work for the other side, and that Ahmadinejad's non-answers to the questions posed to him will benefit him and his regime.  They are naive beyond expression. 

One more example:  President Bollinger suggested that Ahmadinejad's speech to the Council on Foreign relations last year led to Ahmadienjad's party losing local elections, thus indulging the twin absurdities that
- Iranian elections are free
- and that open and sustained debate occurs over the airwaves which can use Ahmadinejad's speeches against him to win elections.  "May this do that and more," intoned Bollinger.

Talk about cluelessness combined with epic self-importance. President Bollinger was actually suggesting that by hosting the fanatic he and Columbia are somehow involved in helping take down the despotic regime.

Whenever Lee Bollinger steps down as Columbia's president,  some poor fool will toast him for his "stirring" speech today, for speaking truth to power, blah blah blah.  Nonsense.  President Bollinger gave Ahmadinejad a microphone and a stage and then tried to use the underbilling to redeem his university's sorry complicity in the legitimizing of this fanatic's place in the world.  Columbia can black out the backdrop and deliver stern lectures that go unheard in the Islamist world, but it won't remove the stain on its own reputation: It played a role of accessory to many lies today, delivered by a killer of our troops.

"What did you hope to accomplish by speaking at Columbia today," the hapless dean asked.  Ahmadinejad was too polite to answer truthfully: "To find useful idiots who would allow me to deny that the facts of the Holocaust are fixed, to assert that Iran is the victim not the perpetrator of terror, that Israel's right to exist ought to be the subject of a referendum, and to announce that there are no gays in Iran, thus sending a very clear message to the gays in Iran.  I came, in short, to find you and the audience you gave me."

"Calling for research into the facts [of the Holocaust] when the facts are so well established represents for many a challenging of the facts themselves and a denial that something terrible occured in Europe in those years," the dean at one point gently suggested.  How tentative.  How courteous.  How distant from the dean's own feelings.  How carefully phrased so as not to give offense.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Speaking of fantasy worlds
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:36:50 AM »
<<"Calling for research into the facts [of the Holocaust] when the facts are so well established represents for many a challenging of the facts themselves and a denial that something terrible occured in Europe in those years," the dean at one point gently suggested. >>

Well that is very true.  How can anyone object to that statement?

<< How tentative.  How courteous.  >>

Jeeeziz Christ.  It IS a major Ivy League university.  What's wrong with a little tentativeness and a little courtesy?  How do you think the dean should have made his point?  by screaming obscenities at Ahmedinejad?  By cupping his hands over his balls and thrusting his pelvis in his direction? 

<<How distant from the dean's own feelings.  >>

I get it.  The dean should get more in touch with his feelings, let it all hang out.  Scream and cry at Ahmedinejad for his insensitivity to the dean's needs and fears, dramatically ask him, "Do you know how this makes me FEEL?  Do you even CARE?" and then break down into little inconsolable sobs.  Way to go, Dean! 

<<How carefully phrased so as not to give offense.>>

Better:  "Yo, muthafucka, yo, ahmo fuck up yo' mama, bitch.  Yo, fuck her up real good yo."

I dunno, though.  Maybe this exchange of ideas didn't really go the way I thought it did from other press accounts.  The dean didn't press a question about Israel's existence?  Don't sound too good.  Think I'm gonna withhold comment till I see the whole  thing.myself, if I can.  Still I think it's kinda extreme to claim that Columbia legitimized his standing in the world.  That's ludicrous.  Only heads of state can "legitimize his place in the world."  Columbia just invited him to speak.  It's still just a school for God's sake, albeit a damned good one.  These people gotta get a sense of perspective.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »
You guys miss the point of the Columbia President's rant.
The chief role of any college president is to raise funds.

To raise funds in NYC, one must curry favor with rich Jews and their friends,
 because they are most of the ones with most of the money that Columbia receives.

To impress NYC Jews, you must make nice with Israel and the Zionists.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Richpo64

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:51:58 PM »
>>To raise funds in NYC, one must curry favor with rich Jews and their friends,
because they are most of the ones with most of the money that Columbia receives.
To impress NYC Jews, you must make nice with Israel and the Zionists.<<

This sounds racist to me?

Anybody?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 09:07:59 PM »

Anybody?

Nah.

But it is interesting watching XO roll jews in with zionists and the state of israel and pack them neatly into one box.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:18:01 PM »
But it is interesting watching XO roll jews in with zionists and the state of Israel and pack them neatly into one box.
==================================================

There are not too many Jews that are anti-Zionists, and fewer still who will admit it publicly. There are some, but not that many.

Israel and Zionists are pretty closely related. Zionism is about Jews claiming Israel as their home and going there to live.

Do you dispute that a large number of the wealthier donors in NYC are Jewish?

Do you dispute that the president of Columbia U. is a raiser of funds, and that his speech roasting Amedinejad will help him to do this?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:23:35 AM »

Anybody?

Nah.

But it is interesting watching XO roll jews in with zionists and the state of israel and pack them neatly into one box.

You're right about that, BT. More appropriately applied in the U.S., he should have mentioned AIPAC, not all NYC Jews.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 08:25:53 AM »
Is there any difference between AIPAC and the NAACP?

Aren't they both Special Interest Groups seeking influence?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 08:29:54 AM »

No, there really isn't any difference.

But they are much more powerful than the NAACP in the scope of their influence - I think that they are ranked as the most influential special interest group, even more than the NRA now.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 09:45:05 AM »
that Iran is at war with the West and is a cruelly repressive regime

I'm not aware that Iran is at war with anyone. In what ways is Iran more cruelly repressive than other regimes, some that the United States supports?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »

But they are much more powerful than the NAACP in the scope of their influence - I think that they are ranked as the most influential special interest group, even more than the NRA now.

Doesn't this wax and wane in cycles?

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:41:11 AM »
that Iran is at war with the West and is a cruelly repressive regime

I'm not aware that Iran is at war with anyone. In what ways is Iran more cruelly repressive than other regimes, some that the United States supports?

If they support groups that mean harm to the U.S., then they deserve what they should get and ARE at war with the U.S., albeit indirectly. If I train insurgents against you, the Phillippine government, even if I train them in Malta or anywhere else, then I am effectively at war with the Phillippines.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:51:22 AM by Mr_Perceptive »

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 10:46:11 AM »

Doesn't this wax and wane in cycles?

Yes, I'm sure it does.

I think that special interest and lobbying groups are a double-edged sword. On one hand, I don't personally have time to get down to D.C. to deal with what matters most to me, so I will support groups that can do that, as will others. On the other hand, I question it when corporations get involved in supporting lobbyists and special interest groups. I think that the power of a corporation (versus what an average individual can do in terms of support) can throw off the balance. And then what voices are truly influencing the politics of this country?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 11:02:21 AM »
I don't see a bit of difference between corporate lobbyists and special interest goup lobbyists. They both want something from government often at the expense of those less well represented.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 11:04:32 AM »
If they support groups that mean harm to the U.S., then they deserve what they should get and ARE at war with the U.S., albeit indirectly. If I train insurgents against you, the Phillippine government, even if I train them in Malta or anywhere else, then I am effectively at war with the Phillippines.

What groups are they supporting that mean harm to the United States?

How are they repressive?

You give rhetoric, with no specific facts.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.