Author Topic: Kidnappers Won't Be Turned Over  (Read 1090 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kidnappers Won't Be Turned Over
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:38:09 PM »
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2007
Link

US 'refuses to hand over agents'

US authorities have told Germany they will not hand over 13 suspected CIA agents sought over the alleged kidnapping of a German citizen in 2003, an official said.

In response, the German government has dropped its extradition demand, according to an issue of German magazine Der Spiegel due to appear on Monday.

"To avoid an open conflict with the American authorities, the German government will not follow up the demand by the prosecutors in Munich to proceed with the arrest of 13 CIA agents," the weekly magazine said.

The decision was taken after US authorities ruled out "provisionary detention of extradition" of the suspects, Der Spiegel reported.

A German justice ministry spokeswoman, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed to the Associated Press that the US administration told Berlin it would not hand over the group.

The German request came after Khaled el-Masri, a Lebanese-born German, was taken from the Macedonian capital, Skopje, on New Year's Eve, 2003.

Abduction

The 44-year-old unemployed former car salesman and father of six, says he was abducted by US agents and flown to a prison in Afghanistan for interrogation.

El-Masri says he was drugged and tortured, before being released five months later in Albania.

He said his captors told him he was seized in a case of mistaken identity.

El-Masri has filed a suit in the US against his detention, but it was rejected by an appeals court on the grounds of national security.

Human rights campaigners have focused on el-Masri's story in pressing the US to stop flying terrorism suspects to countries other than the US where they could face abuse - a practice known as 'extraordinary rendition'.

Mistaken identity

US officials have declined to address the case in public. However, Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, has said that the US has acknowledged making a mistake with el-Masri.

On Saturday, George Little, CIA spokesman, said that the agency would not comment on the case.

Andrew Ames, US justice department spokesman, said that as a matter of longstanding policy, "the department does not discuss whether it has or has not received an extradition request from a given country or our communication with any country with respect to such requests."

"Mr el-Masri has pursued litigation for civil damages here in the US, and this litigation is ongoing," Ames said.

"To date, US courts have barred his suit based on the US government's assertion of state secrecy concerns."
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Kidnappers Won't Be Turned Over
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:41:33 PM »
Topping the list of the Thirteen agents was Valerie Elise Plame Wilson.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:19:14 AM »

At the very least we've admitted that we "made a mistake" with a man who was a citizen of another country who was abducted, then left in another foreign country after we determined that we screwed up.

In between there may have been torture and drugging.

But I'm glad it made a nice set up for some political humor.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 01:33:31 AM »

At the very least we've admitted that we "made a mistake" with a man who was a citizen of another country who was abducted, then left in another foreign country after we determined that we screwed up.

In between there may have been torture and drugging.

But I'm glad it made a nice set up for some political humor.

So outing CIA agents is a good thing now?

Does this change on alternate years?

The work that VPW did for the CIA was not this sort of work?