Author Topic: I'll take the ACLU any day  (Read 1628 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I'll take the ACLU any day
« on: October 18, 2006, 01:55:55 AM »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/politicalmuscle/2006/10/doolittle_defen.html

Doolittle Defended Friend Accused of Sexual Assault

Rep. John T. Doolittle — under fire for his connection to disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff — has been attacking his Democratic opponent, Charlie Brown, for belonging to the ACLU. To Doolittle, Brown's membership in the ACLU is enough to characterize him as an extremist liberal, since the group has defended sexual predators such as the North American Man Boy Love Assn. in the past.

"It is astounding that anyone could defend a group dedicated to aiding and abetting pedophiles," Doolittle said in a recent press release.

DoolittleportraitBut Doolittle himself came to the defense of a dentist accused of sexually assaulting six patients while they were in his chair. Doolittle told a criminal jury in 1987 about his friend: "I consider him to be a very truthful individual," according to a transcript of his testimony.

Doolittle, then a state senator and attorney, served as an important character witness for the friend, David Roy Phipps, who eventually was sentenced to three years' probation. Phipps also had his dental license placed on probation for five years by the state dental board, which required him to attend to patients only with an assistant at his side.

"I've known him of, I guess, approximately three years," Doolittle testified at the August 1987 trial.

"And how is it that you know Dr. Phipps?" a defense attorney asked.

"I got acquainted with him initially through our mutual involvement in the church, and then we became personal friends as well," Doolittle replied. "...I consider him to be a very truthful individual."

"If Dr. Phipps were to give you his word on something, would you believe that?" the attorney asked.

"Without question," Doolittle replied.

Doolittle's efforts may have proved effective for his friend in 1987. But in 1994, Phipps assaulted another patient, according to court documents filed with the 3rd Appellate District Court of Appeal.

One patient in 1994, listed as Marie Y., said after being administered nitrous oxide she "felt Phipps's hand go underneath the dental bib to give her breast a sudden squeeze or caress, putting his hand completely over it; he squeezed her right breast three times and her left breast once."

In December of that year, Phipps was charged with attempted sexual battery by restraint, a felony, and misdemeanor sexual battery. The case went to trial in 1995, and Phipps eventually pleaded no contest to two counts of misdemeanor sexual battery. He served 365 days in the Placer County jail, the documents show.

A psychologist hired by Phipps testified before the dental board, which again had initiated disciplinary action. The psychologist said Phipps experienced "some arousal" from the touching and that he saw himself as a "pleaser" to women patients.

A spokeswoman for Doolittle called back to gather information about this story, but then did not respond for further comment after several hours. Phipps could not be reached.

One historical footnote: The Superior Court judge in the 1987 case was Earl Warren Jr., the son of the legendary former California governor and U.S. chief justice.

(Photo: Dennis Cook / AP)

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: I'll take the ACLU any day
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:18:03 AM »
There is no doubt that the ACLU defended NAMBLA.

There was probable doubt of Phipp's guilt at the time of Doolittle's testimony.

So ......... with your backing of the ACLU does that mean you back NAMBLA?

Isn't that what guilt by association is all about?

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I'll take the ACLU any day
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 02:27:08 AM »
"Rep. John T. Doolittle — under fire for his connection to disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff"

I love how the liberal media does that. They say somebody is under fire. I bet they include this thing about Abramoff in every one of their biased, and politically motivated editorials at the LA Times about Doolittle.

Why don't they ever say that Harry Ried is under fire for his connection to disgraced lobbyist Jack Abrmoff? He took $69k worth of Abramoff related money. The mainstream media in this country is an arm of the Democrat National Committee.