Author Topic: Secret endorsement of torture  (Read 12041 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Secret endorsement of torture
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 12:31:20 AM »
<<No, they shouldn't protest.>>

Straight, honest answer.  Thank you.  Consistent.

I believe I had this conversation with you once before.  We disagreed where to draw the line, but even you conceded that there was a line.  Somewhere.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 02:52:29 AM »
I believe you just said it's OK for Americans to waterboard captured Arabs for intel that would save U.S. lives.
I think you just said that it would be OK for Arabs to waterboard captured Americans for intel that would save Arab lives.
Did I get that right?

Yes.  And as I also referenced, let us know when the latter scenario ever actually happens
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 08:38:33 AM »
Well at least there's no hypocrisy issue here.  Both BT and sirs think that as far as waterboarding is concerned, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.  That's at least consistent.

Unfortunately it undoes all the progress that's been made in international law in outlawing torture, including the UN Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.  I'm not sure which if any of these have been signed or ratified by the U.S., but all are part of a process and even if not ratified yet by the U.S., the actual practice of torture with official U.S. government approval just delays the day of ratification (if unratified) and pushes back the date by which torture will ultimately be abolished in fact as well as on paper.

Civilization is a process, what the U.S. is doing is definitely going to retard that process, set it back at least a hundred years.

If there is nothing shameful in what the U.S. is doing (waterboarding, etc.) why are the memos secret?

What do you make of the fact that Never in history had the U.S. authorized such tactics . . . ?  Surely the NEED for intelligence was just as acute when millions of lives hung in the daily balance of total  worldwide war.  Surely the techniques of torture, including waterboarding, were common knowledge.  Why DIDN'T the American leadership of that day authorize torture to the extent that Bush and his handlers have done, if there is nothing wrong with it?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 12:40:22 PM »
You seem to be confusing the practice of waterboarding with the politicization of the practice of waterboarding.

Different targets , dontchaknow.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 12:42:11 PM »
You seem to be confusing the practice of waterboarding with the politicization of the practice of waterboarding.  Different targets , dontchaknow.

Touche'
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »
<<You seem to be confusing the practice of waterboarding with the politicization of the practice of waterboarding.

<<Different targets , dontchaknow.>>

Ya lost me there, BT.  I'm just one dumb Canuck, after all.  Not all that sophisticated.  To me, waterboarding is waterboarding.  It was never authorized before by any American administration, now it's authorized.  In my own dumb and unsophisticated way, I found that very significant.  I don't think I was confused at all.  Maybe you are the one who is confused.  Maybe you're confused between an unwillingness to see what's right in front of your nose and a desire to confuse the picture so badly that you'll never have to deal with it again.

But maybe you're on to something after all.  Is it possible that you guys have confused the practice of "terrorism" with the politicization of the practice of "terrorism?"  Maybe there IS some kind of potential in your sophistry after all.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 01:20:48 PM »
So if either of you were captured in some Middle Eastern country and taken to Iran because you might possibly fit the stereotype of what Iran considers terrorist threats to their nation, you'd have no real problem when they brought out the waterboarding torture?

And you can put Burma or Israel in place of Iran if it makes a difference.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »
So if either of you were captured in some Middle Eastern country and taken to Iran because you might possibly fit the stereotype of what Iran considers terrorist threats to their nation, you'd have no real problem when they brought out the waterboarding torture?

Nope.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 01:29:30 PM »
Ya lost me there, BT.  I'm just one dumb Canuck, after all.

How coy.

Who would be the target of waterboarding?

Who is the target of your politicization of the practice?

Are they the same persons?

And there is an old maxim in govt.

Lawyers opine, judges rule.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 01:47:52 PM »
<<Who would be the target of waterboarding?

<<Who is the target of your politicization of the practice?

<<Are they the same persons?>>

OH, now I get it.  Straw-man.  The subject is waterboarding.  The article clearly stated that never before had any administration authorized waterboarding.   When this administration DID authorize waterboarding, they tried to keep it a secret from the public, their nominal bosses.  The issue is the criminality of this administration.

I can see very well why you would not like the discussion to focus on the issue of criminality.  I understand why you want to divert the discussion to the politicization of the torture issue.  Nice try, even if obscurely worded.  Sorry it doesn't work.  Who (apart from sirs) did you really think was going to be taken in by your sophistry anyway?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »
The issue is the criminality of this administration.

Now we are making progress.

Who said waterboarding was illegal?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 01:53:06 PM »
To me, waterboarding is waterboarding.  It was never authorized before by any American administration, now it's authorized.

The special forces "SERE" training subjects the soldiers to waterboarding (among other interrogation techniques) to harden the trainees against this type of interrogation. Been done for years.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 03:56:26 PM »
Apparently, the administration thinks that waterboarding is okay, so long as the victim suspected, yet unconvicted terrorist is not actually killed dead, even though he has been led to believe that he will be killed.

The Administration will not admit to waterboarding or any other procedures "lest the terrorist community find out about what our techniques are".

I seriously doubt that the 'terrorist community' is unaware of all techniques that have been used in the past.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 04:43:55 PM »
<<Now we are making progress.

<<Who said waterboarding was illegal?>>

Since it was never authorized during WWII when the stakes were higher, the casualties far greater, and support for the war much more solid, you have a pretty good idea that it must have been considered illegal way back then.

The UN Convention on Torture etc. defines torture as any act by which severe pain or suffering whether physical or mental is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining . . . information . . . punishing . . . or intimidating . . . or coercing . . .

Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Second Ed. , Torture is the act of inflicting excruciating pain . . . ; or extreme anguish of body or mind . . .

From Wikipedia on Torture

Municipal Law

States that ratified the United Nations Convention Against Torture have a treaty obligation to include the provisions into municipal law. The laws of many states therefore formally prohibit torture. However, such de jure legal provisions are by no means a proof that, de facto, the signatory country does not use torture.

To prevent torture, many legal systems have a right against self-incrimination or explicitly prohibit undue force when dealing with suspects.

England abolished torture in about 1640 (except peine forte et dure which England only abolished in 1772), in Scotland in 1708, in Prussia in 1740, in Denmark around 1770, in Russia in 1801.[22][23]

The French 1789 Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, of constitutional value, prohibits submitting suspects to any hardship not necessary to secure his or her person. Statute law explicitly makes torture a crime. In addition, statute law prohibits the police or justice from interrogating suspects under oath.

The United States includes this protection in the fifth amendment to its federal constitution, which in turn serves as the basis of the Miranda warning, which law enforcement officers issue to individuals upon their arrest. Additionally, the US Constitution's eighth amendment forbids the use of "cruel and unusual punishments", which is widely interpreted as a prohibition of the use of torture. Finally, 18 U.S.C. ? 2340 [24] et seq. define and forbid torture outside the United States. United States law bans all torture in all places without exception.

This is pretty much of a no-brainer.  That the torture memos were kept secret indicates there was some criminality to hide.  That no other administration, despite the direst of temptations would touch it is another indication.

Waterboarding is a criminal act IMHO.  It seems whoever has the power to rule has the power to define crime and it appears that America's current rulers have defined criminal acts in a way that lets them get away with waterboarding.  Let me say that I don't think their moral sense is in any way superior to mine, and my moral sense tells me that waterboarding is NOT OK, that it is a capital crime, and that if I had the power to make the rules, guys like Bush, Cheney and his supporters would already have been executed for their crimes.  As would whoever carried out their orders.  If that takes a wholesale purge of the armed forces with firing squads working overtime and double time, so be it.  The world would be a much better place afterwards.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 06:05:07 PM »
Is anyone in favor of waterboarding Juniorbush and Cheney to, you know, make them better soldiers in the War on Terror?

And, could we have it televised? We would all learn something, I am certain.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."