Author Topic: And the winner isn't.....  (Read 1027 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
And the winner isn't.....
« on: October 16, 2007, 01:41:36 AM »
Not Nobel Winners
Some nominees for next year.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

In Olso Friday, the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize was not awarded to the Burmese monks whose defiance against, and brutalization at the hands of, the country's military junta in recent weeks captured the attention of the Free World.

The prize was also not awarded to Morgan Tsvangirai, Arthur Mutambara and other Zimbabwe opposition leaders who were arrested and in some cases beaten by police earlier this year while protesting peacefully against dictator Robert Mugabe.

Or to Father Nguyen Van Ly, a Catholic priest in Vietnam arrested this year and sentenced to eight years in prison for helping the pro-democracy group Block 8406.

Or to Wajeha al-Huwaider and Fawzia al-Uyyouni, co-founders of the League of Demanders of Women's Right to Drive Cars in Saudi Arabia, who are waging a modest struggle with grand ambitions to secure basic rights for women in that Muslim country.

Or to Colombian President ?lvaro Uribe, who has fought tirelessly to end the violence wrought by left-wing terrorists and drug lords in his country.

Or to Garry Kasparov and the several hundred Russians who were arrested in April, and are continually harassed, for resisting President Vladimir Putin's slide toward authoritarian rule.

Or to the people of Iraq, who bravely work to rebuild and reunite their country amid constant threats to themselves and their families from terrorists who deliberately target civilians.

Or to Presidents Viktor Yushchenko and Mikheil Saakashvili who, despite the efforts of the Kremlin to undermine their young states, stayed true to the spirit of the peaceful "color" revolutions they led in Ukraine and Georgia and showed that democracy can put down deep roots in Russia's backyard.

Or to Britain's Tony Blair, Ireland's Bertie Ahern and the voters of Northern Ireland, who in March were able to set aside decades of hatred to establish joint Catholic-Protestant rule in Northern Ireland.

Or to thousands of Chinese bloggers who run the risk of arrest by trying to bring uncensored information to their countrymen.

Or to scholar and activist Saad Eddin Ibrahim, jailed presidential candidate Ayman Nour and other democracy campaigners in Egypt.

Or, posthumously, to lawmakers Walid Eido, Pierre Gemayel, Antoine Ghanem, Rafik Hariri, George Hawi and Gibran Tueni; journalist Samir Kassir; and other Lebanese citizens who've been assassinated since 2005 for their efforts to free their country from Syrian control.

Or to the Reverend Phillip Buck; Pastor Chun Ki Won and his organization, Durihana; Tim Peters and his Helping Hands Korea; and Liberty in North Korea, who help North Korean refugees escape to safety in free nations.

These men and women put their own lives and livelihoods at risk by working to rid the world of violence and oppression. Let us hope they survive the coming year so that the Nobel Prize Committee might consider them for the 2008 award.

Article
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: And the winner isn't.....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:52:50 AM »
My first reaction is, "who are they kidding?" Seriously, the Nobel Peace Prize has gone to people like Henry Kissinger and Yasser Arafat, and I'm still puzzled over the award going to Jimmy Carter. And someone thinks that some Burmese monks are going to get it? Not high profile enough. Very few people who actually deserve it, like Norman Borlaug, ever actually get it. I'm starting to think that in recent years Nobel Prize committee is as much concerned with drumming up publicity for itself, try to prove it is still relevant, as it is with who gets the prize.

But really, Tony Blair?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »
<<Or to Colombian President ?lvaro Uribe, who has fought tirelessly to end the violence wrought by left-wing terrorists and drug lords in his country.>>

Well, I never heard of most of the nonentities named, but I did hear of Alvaro Uribe.  Here's one good reason why he's not gonna get a Nobel Peace Prize anytime soon:

Colombian Senator: Death Squads Met At Uribe's Ranch
Scandal Over Paramilitary Ties Widens

By Juan Forero
Washington Post Foreign Service
Wednesday, April 18, 2007; A18
BOGOTA, Colombia, April 17 -- An opposition lawmaker on Tuesday alleged that paramilitary death squads met at the ranch of President ?lvaro Uribe in the late 1980s and plotted to murder opponents, an explosive charge in a growing scandal that has unearthed ties between the illegal militias and two dozen congressmen.
Basing his accusations on government documents and depositions by former paramilitary members and military officers, Sen. Gustavo Petro said the militiamen met at Uribe's Guacharacas farm as well as ranches owned by his brother, Santiago Uribe, and a close associate, Luis Alberto Villegas.
"From there, at night, they would go out and kill people," Petro said, referring to the sprawling ranch owned by ?lvaro Uribe, who served as a senator from 1986 to 1994.
The allegations, made at a congressional hearing on the "para-politics" scandal, were vigorously denied by the government. In a rebuttal, Interior Minister Carlos Holgu?n said that all manner of rumors have arisen about Uribe's farm.
Holgu?n said Petro had "abused" his position by using court documents selectively to make his points and was trying to portray Colombia "as a country of assassins, a country of paramilitaries." And he wondered aloud why Petro was not so aggressive about unearthing links between politicians and leftist guerrillas, noting that Petro had been a member of the M-19 rebel movement until his election to Congress in 1991. . . .
In a two-hour presentation in which military intelligence reports and affidavits of mid-level military officers were made public, Petro provided a detailed sketch of Colombia's fearsome paramilitary movement, from its first links with cocaine kingpins including Pablo Escobar to its use of massacres to spread terror to its liquidation of the leftist Patriotic Union party.
He spoke of how banana companies, including foreign firms, bankrolled death squads and helped paramilitary groups traffic in cocaine. And he read from a government statement provided by an army captain who was present at meetings between a former general, Rito Alejo del Rio, and paramilitary commanders. President Uribe has long been close to del Rio, who was charged in 2001 with having paramilitary ties. The charges were later dropped.
The senator said that despite a common perception, the generation-old paramilitary movement did not surge because of the lack of state presence. "Paramilitarism was founded with the help from some sectors of the state," he said.
In the hearing, Petro focused much of his time on the Convivirs and how officials who promoted them knew that paramilitary warlords ran some of the groups. The Convivirs were eventually outlawed following allegations of rights abuses.
"If these type of people made up the Convivirs and directed them, then could they really guarantee the security and tranquillity of the people?" Petro asked.
In a recent interview, a paramilitary turncoat who is providing investigators with evidence of ties between paramilitary groups and politicians said that President Uribe had strong support among paramilitary commanders, who favored him for his tough stance against guerrillas. He said, however, that he had never heard evidence of direct ties between the president and paramilitary groups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/17/AR2007041702007_pf.html

Considering sirs' position on the political spectrum and the type of "news" sources he feeds off, I am pretty certain that most of the other characters named in the article are equally "deserving."

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:42:48 AM by Michael Tee »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:42:59 AM »
Considering sirs' position on the political spectrum and the type of "news" sources he feeds off, I am pretty certain that most of the other characters named in the article are equally "deserving."

LOL, and considering Tee's position on the political spectrum and the type of news sources he feeds off of, along with how easy it was for Plane to dissect just 1 those Bush lied claims, in that smorgasboard of supposed Bush lies he presented from his smoking gun Bush lied link, way back when, I guess we can all conclude that pretty much all the rest of those Bush lies were "equally deserving" of being taken as supposed gospel truth     
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »

LOL, and considering Tee's position on the political spectrum and the type of news sources he feeds off of, along with how easy it was for Plane to dissect just 1 those Bush lied claims, in that smorgasboard of supposed Bush lies he presented from his smoking gun Bush lied link, way back when, I guess we can all conclude that pretty much all the rest of those Bush lies were "equally deserving" of being taken as supposed gospel truth     

I just ask for one .

I never get just one , as though the mass of accusation was proven true by its massiveness.

I don't know enough about lvaro Uribe to rebut an accusation , no do I know enough about his accuser to accept it as proved .

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 06:21:40 PM »
<<LOL, and considering Tee's position on the political spectrum and the type of news sources he feeds off of, along with how easy it was for Plane to dissect just 1 those Bush lied claims, in that smorgasboard of supposed Bush lies he presented from his smoking gun Bush lied link, way back when, I guess we can all conclude that pretty much all the rest of those Bush lies were "equally deserving" of being taken as supposed gospel truth    >>

Not exactly sure how a discussion on Gore's Nobel Prize and how any Latin American death-squad organizer is better qualified than Gore to receive the prize has suddenly (in sirs' twisted brain) morphed into yet another futile attempt to defend his lying "President's" honour, but I'm not going to let him get away with his lying bullshit even peripherally.  Plane never demonstrated the falsity of any of the "Bush lied" accusations that I'm aware of, and if sirs isn't lying (again!) about that, let him produce the post where he claims this occurred.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »
It has to do with trying to lay claim to hypothetically refuting 1 proposed Nobel Peace Prize nominee and thus using that to refute the others, just because.  I simply used your own above tactic to demonstrate how we can apparently use Plane's ability at refuting just one of your Bush lied claims from that Bush lied link, and apply it to all the other supposed Bush lied accusations associated with the link.  Thanks for initiating the tactic