Author Topic: Blackwater holds US soldiers at gunpoint  (Read 14900 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Blackwater holds US soldiers at gunpoint
« on: October 12, 2007, 01:50:39 PM »
Blackwater Is Soaked
An arrogant attitude only adds fuel to the criticism.
Gervasio Sanchez / AP

By Rod Nordland and Mark Hosenball
Newsweek

Oct. 15, 2007 issue - The colonel was furious. "Can you believe it? They actually drew their weapons on U.S. soldiers." He was describing a 2006 car accident, in which an SUV full of Blackwater operatives had crashed into a U.S. Army Humvee on a street in Baghdad's Green Zone. The colonel, who was involved in a follow-up investigation and spoke on the condition he not be named, said the Blackwater guards disarmed the U.S. Army soldiers and made them lie on the ground at gunpoint until they could disentangle the SUV. His account was confirmed by the head of another private security company. Asked to address this and other allegations in this story, Blackwater spokesperson Anne Tyrrell said, "This type of gossip has led to many soap operas in the press."
Story continues below ↓advertisement

Whatever else Blackwater is or isn't guilty of?a topic of intense interest in Washington?it has a well-earned reputation in Iraq for arrogance and high-handedness. Iraqis naturally have the most serious complaints; dozens have been killed by Blackwater operatives since the beginning of the war. But many American civilian and military officials in Iraq also have little sympathy for the private security company and its highly paid employees. With an uproar growing in Congress over Blackwater's alleged excesses, the North Carolina-based company is finding few supporters.

Responsible for guarding top U.S. officials in Iraq, Blackwater operatives are often accused of playing by their own rules. Unlike nearly everyone else who enters the Green Zone, said an American soldier who guards a gate, Blackwater gunmen refuse to stop and clear their weapons of live ammunition once inside. One military contractor, who spoke anonymously for fear of retribution in his industry, recounted the story of a Blackwater operative who answered a Marine officer's order to put his pistol on safety when entering a base post office by saying, "This is my safety," and wiggling his trigger finger in the air. "Their attitude was, 'We're f---ing security; we don't have to answer to anybody'."

Congress disagrees. Until now, private security contractors working for the State Department, as Blackwater does, have effectively not been covered by either U.S. or Iraqi law, or military regulations. A bill that overwhelmingly passed the House last week would close that loophole. But the law would also require the FBI to establish a large-scale presence in Iraq in order to investigate accusations against private contractors. Law-enforcement officials worry that this would draw valuable resources away from FBI efforts to combat terrorism in the United States. Also, whenever FBI agents venture into Iraq now they are guarded by ... Blackwater operatives. The bureau has sent a team to Baghdad to investigate the Sept. 16 shooting in Nasoor Square, in which Blackwater guards are accused of killing as many as 17 Iraqi civilians. In order to avoid "even the appearance of any conflict [of interest]," according to an FBI spokesman, the agents will be defended by U.S. government personnel.

It is not an idle concern. Blackwater's staunchest defenders tend to be found among those whom they guard. U.S. officials prefer Blackwater and other private security bodyguards because they regard them as more highly trained than military guards, who are often reservists from MP units. A U.S. Embassy staffer, who did not have permission to speak on the record, said, "It's a few bad eggs that seem to be spoiling the bunch." Late last week the State Department announced that it would increase oversight of Blackwater in particular, installing cameras in its vehicles and having a Diplomatic Security Service officer ride along on every convoy. But another State Department official, also speaking anonymously, says that DSS agents in Baghdad have not been eager to rein in the contractors in the past: "These guys tend to close ranks. It's like the blue wall."

Testifying before Congress last week, 38-year-old Blackwater chief Erik Prince vigorously defended his company's "dedicated security professionals" who "risk their lives to protect Americans in harm's way overseas." Prince probably had no reason to be as smug as he seemed to many observers. In deflecting questions about a drunken Blackwater operative who allegedly shot and killed a bodyguard for Iraqi Vice President Adel Abdul Mahdi in the Green Zone on Christmas Eve last year, Prince said that the employee, later identified as Andrew Moonen, had been fined and fired. But on Friday House Oversight Committee chairman Rep. Henry Waxman released a letter to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice recounting evidence that Moonen was able to return to Iraq and worked there for another company. Moonen's attorney, Stewart Riley, told NEWSWEEK his client denies wrongdoing and is not facing criminal charges. Blackwater is no doubt in for further fire fights.

With Larry Kaplow in Baghdad and Michael Hastings in Washington
? 2007 Newsweek, Inc. |  Subscribe to Newsweek

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21163806/site/newsweek/page/0/
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Richpo64

Re: Blackwater holds US soldiers at gunpoint
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
Ah, the next Democrat scandal of the week.

Ho hum.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 02:03:51 PM »
the Blackwater guards disarmed the U.S. Army soldiers and made them lie on the ground at gunpoint until they could disentangle the SUV

That really pisses me off.  >:(
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »
Ah, the next Democrat scandal of the week.

Ho hum.
========================================
Perhaps sometime soon, Blackwater might run into your car and force you to lie down in abject humiliation for an unspecified amount of time.

Then you would get upset if we said

"Ho hum"

The issue is should the government hire mercenaries that can violate everyone's rights with utter impunity.

I suppose you think that this is just hunky-dory.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Richpo64

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:26:58 PM »
>>Perhaps sometime soon, Blackwater might run into your car and force you to lie down in abject humiliation for an unspecified amount of time.<<

What's the matter, are you scared? lol ...

As if you give a damn about American soldiers anyway.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 02:43:23 PM »
>>Perhaps sometime soon, Blackwater might run into your car and force you to lie down in abject humiliation for an unspecified amount of time.<<

What's the matter, are you scared? lol ...

As if you give a damn about American soldiers anyway.
========================================================

I would not feel threatened at all, if Blackwater were to humiliate you, actually. Even if the frog in your pocket were also humiliated.

Unlike you, I am all for American soldiers returning to the US unmaimed, alive and sane.

If this were to happen, they would feel better, and I would not have to pay their medical bills, psychiatric expenses, widows and orphaned children. I would not feel that I could have prevented their suffering just by voting here in Florida earier and more often than I did, thereby causing Al Gore to have been elected instead of swill-for-brains Juniorbush.

Perhaps a bit of voter fraud to prevent  idiocy in the presidency would have been the correct moral choice.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 03:58:05 PM »
All of this is headed towards a second civil war in America.  People like Richiepoo are going to start thinking that having and supporting Blackwater in the US is a good idea.  They already have a base in CA and eventually someone is going to say, "Hey, why don't we just hire Blackwater to make sure we can march wherever we want when we protest against abortion?"

And no one is going to laugh out loud and tell that guy STFU.  Then we'll have war.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »
Blackwater is symptomatic of the trend to privatization and ever-diminishing accountability.  It's funny but I just read of the acquittal of seven guards and a boot-camp nurse in the asphyxiation death of a 14-year-old black boy incarcerated in a private facility in Florida.  It looks like the state monopoly on violence CAN be contracted out, for private profit and governmental immunity.  What's good enough for Amerikkka's blacks is good enough for Amerikkka's Third World victims as well, and vice versa.  Check out the results of the Martin Lee Anderson trial in Panama City Florida.  Bush isn't leading a putsch, Hitler-style.  He doesn't have to.  The people who are behind him can wait a few years.  Their fortunes are secure now and growing by leaps and bounds even with the residual amounts of freedom and democracy that still are lingering around waiting for their eventual nullification.  They know that every year, little by little, Bush is taking them in the direction they want to go.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »
Blackwater is symptomatic of the trend to privatization and ever-diminishing accountability.  It's funny but I just read of the acquittal of seven guards and a boot-camp nurse in the asphyxiation death of a 14-year-old black boy incarcerated in a private facility in Florida.  It looks like the state monopoly on violence CAN be contracted out, for private profit and governmental immunity. 

=================================================
The particular boot camp to which you refer has been obliterated by the legislature. They claimed that the kid died as a result of sickle cell anemia, but that didn't wash, and the state was hit with a lawsuit. I didn't hear that anyone was acquitted, though.

I agree that Blackwater and its ilk are dangerous and should be unfunded everywhere because of their abuses and because the cops are bad enough without hiring overpaid thugs to do the work the cops can't get away with.

So far, Blackwater has only been immune from prosecution in Iraq.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 05:56:45 PM »
<<The particular boot camp to which you refer has been obliterated by the legislature. They claimed that the kid died as a result of sickle cell anemia, but that didn't wash, and the state was hit with a lawsuit. I didn't hear that anyone was acquitted, though.>>

The lawsuit was settled for $5 million which still has to be approved by the State Legislature.  The criminal case verdicts were just handed down today.  Unbelievable.  This fourteen year old kid walking around all his life with sickle-cell trait (not the disease, the trait) and then one fine day he just drops dead from it.  Never even knew he had the trait (it's common among African-Americans) but suddenly he just goes into a coma and dies the next day from it. 

Oh yeah - - funny coincidence, he went into the coma as seven guards were preventing him from breathing through his mouth by closing it with their hands and simultaneously forcing him to inhale ammonia fumes.

But not to worry - - the all-white jury saw that justice was done, and acquitted all of them, even the camp nurse.  It was just SO good to see how racism in Florida is just dead and buried.  Believe me, if the kid had been white, it would have made no difference in the verdict.  I know that.  Believe me.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »
You are right, this is insane. The State of Florida that hired these murderous doofuses is responsible to the tune of $5,000,000, but not a single doofus is actually guilty. How can this be? The State Legislature did not suffocate the kid. They may be fools for seting up this boot camp and hiring the people they did, but they are not as responsible as the people there on the ground.

Several of the guards were Black, by the way.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 09:24:23 PM »
Several of the guards were Black, by the way.

All of 'em Uncle Toms, I'm sure.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
<<All of 'em Uncle Toms, I'm sure.>>

Oh, no.  The significance of their being black and Asian is that they couldn't POSSIBLY have acted badly towards a 14-year-old black kid who (tragically) just happened to die at the ripe old age of 14 not from a disease but a trait that he'd been walking around with all his life, just about the same time as those seven guards were covering his mouth and forcing ammonia fumes up his nose.  What an unlucky coincidence!!

That's how we KNOW the murder charges were the bogus product of sick liberal minds trying to make the good decent white folk  of Florida look like a bunch of racist thugs, BTW - - because some of the guards were black and Asian.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 10:07:09 AM »
I hardly think anyone needs to be a particular color to beat the crap out of a rebellious teenager. The guards were thugs, and were certainly parties to the death of this kid.

He was forced to run and when he could run no longer, he dropped, and this bunch of guards fell on him and began to beat him. When they decided he was unconscious, they crammed ammonia up his nose.

The lawyer for the defense, from what I read in the Miami Herald, claimed that there is this extremely rare occurrence in sickle cell patients where they die after undue exertion or something, and apparently that convinced the jury.

It wasn't the intent of the guards to kill the kid, they say, but then again they were charged with manslaughter, which is unintentional murder.

The paradox remains that the State of Florida was liable, but none of the hirelings was guilty.  This is ilogical, and would never have happened on Planet Vulcan.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 10:18:22 AM »
Just to make this crystal clear to all RW nitpickers, the racism was not in the composition of the guard detail; even in the days of slavery, massa had his "house niggers" all too ready to deal with uppity slaves as they needed to be dealt with.  The racism was in the callous attitude of the all-white jury, who obviously let the guards and the nurse walk because the VICTIM was "only" a poor black kid.  Anyone who isn't sickened by the brutality of the prison and the indifference of the racist jury has to be a racist himself.