Author Topic: Blackwater holds US soldiers at gunpoint  (Read 14899 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Blackwater holds US soldiers at gunpoint
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2007, 12:59:02 PM »
Would they say those things if there were actually a Black in this forum?

I know of at least one. He's a lurker.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2007, 01:05:52 PM »
You might be surprised to find people up there aren't really that far ahead of us.

And if you include latinos and aboriginal Americans, you'll find that the North lags behind the South ...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
This whole North vs South debate is tiresome as Hell.

There are racists in the North and racists in the South. In the South, one can be more blatant, in the North, they tend to be more sneaky, but with every year that passes a few more of the Jessee Helms type of racist die off, and he was hardly the worst.

When you get down to it, it's all about INDIVIDUALS,  and percentages, not geography.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
<<Sure it didn't end in the 60's - not in the South, and certainly not anywhere else, either. And that is my point. You concentrate your criticism on the South, and overlook the racism that still exists in the rest of the country.>>

That's totally ridiculous.  It's like saying there's antisemitism all over the world, so why all this criticism concentrated on Germany?  The criticism was concentrated on the South because the racism was infinitely worse in the South than anywhere else.  And if racsism is gradually being rolled back all over the world, when you freeze the process at any one point in time to take a snapshot, you are going to find that it's still abysmally worse in the South because they started off so far behind all the rest of us.

<<Here's a news flash for you, Tee - you don't have to tell me about racism in the South. I've lived here practically all my life. Certainly it hasn't gone away, but I can tell you it's a hell of a lot better than it was, and it is getting better all the time. You  just don't seem smart enough to realize we're not living in the fifties, or even the sixties, anymore. The times, they are a-changin', my friend, and while it may take more than two or three generations, we're a lot further along than you think.>>

That's highly debatable.  Racism that deep just doesn't vanish in a generation or two.  If you chose to learn nothing from the recent exposures of Trent Lott and Senator Macacawitz, that's your problem.   They are more representative of the REAL "new South" than all the BS and hot air of its defenders.

<<In the meantime, take the blinders off and look around you up Nawth. You might be surprised to find people up there aren't really that far ahead of us.>>

I'd say that until Northern racists drag a black man chained to a truck till his head comes off, and until the North produces senators like Macacawitz and Lott, I would think that nobody in his right mind could think for even a minute that the North wasn't really that far ahead of the South.  The North really is "that far ahead" of the South, and all the wishful thinking and dreaming of "Dixie" ain't gonna change that by one iota.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »
Tee, go to http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/hate_crime/index.html

Scroll down to Table 2.35.

Add up the number of incidents for the former Confederate (Southern) states.

Add up the numbers for the former Union (Northern) states.

Tell me which is bigger.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2007, 10:41:58 PM »
The gross figures don't mean jack-shit.  The northern states probably have a higher combined population than the southern states, which alone would account for a higher volume of reported hate crimes.   If they were reporting per-capita figures, you'd be a little closer to relevance.

However, there are other factors - - severity of the "hate crimes" - - if they had categories for serious physical injury, they might have a higher south to north ratio, whereas the northern hate crimes might be heavily weighted by graffiti crimes.  Similarly hate crimes might be significantly under-reported by victims in the south for a number of reasons - - fear of Mr. Charlie, distrust of the local Sheriff's office (it was Sheriff's officers who killed Goodman, Cheney and Schwerner, the three civil rights workers who went missing in Mississippi and were found buried in a dam) or fear of KKK vigilantes.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2007, 10:46:41 PM »
If they were reporting per-capita figures, you'd be a little closer to relevance.

The population figures are there. You can convert to rates trivially.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2007, 11:00:18 PM »
<<The population figures are there. You can convert to rates trivially.>>

Whoever proposed the chart as evidence of Southern benevolence can support his theories by working out the per-caps.  I woudn't bother.  In addition to challenging the numbers for lack of per capita figures, I also criticized them on two other grounds, broadness of definition of hate crime and factoring in for under-reporting.  Adjusting only one of the potential factors for error and leaving the other two untouched wouldn't provide conclusive evidence of anything.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2007, 11:02:21 PM »
Whoever proposed the chart as evidence of Southern benevolence can support his theories by working out the per-caps.

I guess we can expect you to support your theories in the future?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2007, 11:13:06 PM »
<<I guess we can expect you to support your theories in the future?>>

Not if they're self-evident, as they often are.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2007, 11:37:13 PM »
<<I guess we can expect you to support your theories in the future?>>

ROFL
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2007, 11:45:08 PM »
just out of idle curiosity, sirs, does "ROTFL" mean that you thought my little joke was very very funny, or does it mean that you didn't realize it was a joke and you wanted to express your disagreement with irony?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2007, 11:52:23 PM »
Both       :D
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:05 PM »

The only thing I see that is self-evident is that your mind is closed on the matter. Locked up. The lights are out and the security system is armed.

'S okay. I understand you don't like the South. I don't like hosers. I try not to make an effort to put them down every chance I get, but hey, I'm just a nice guy.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2007, 01:18:34 AM »
Blackwater is ranked No. 91 on Washington Technology?s 2007 Top 100 list of the largest federal government prime contractors.

http://www.washingtontechnology.com/online/1_1/31698-1.html